What do space chords teach?

The inherent awesomeness of the Blue Devils?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something more like....

Lip slurs? I hate lip slurs! I just want to play my trumpet, and play space chords!

seriously, i guess they "teach" stagger breathing, but again -- breathing during the show is normally set in the context of the show. performing the show isn't about being musical; it's about doing exactly what you are instructed to do. very little musicianship required.

I'm going to echo the "Clearly you've either never marched in a hornline, or you just weren't paying attention. At all." comment. There are many drum corps where performing the show is all about musicality. It's unfortunate you didn't march in one.

I'm going to echo the "Clearly you've either never marched in a hornline, or you just weren't paying attention. At all." comment. There are many drum corps where performing the show is all about musicality. It's unfortunate you didn't march in one.

Take it up with the judges....they're the ones that gave his hornline high brass.... :laughing:

The inherent awesomeness of the Blue Devils?

WIN...and listening to students that arent of that calibre try it makes me cringe. There are many other ways to teach stagger breathing than space chords.

I guess I just have a hard time when young techs come in and want to put something into the warm up book that the kids may like, but really doesnt add to their musicianship. At the highest level they may sound cool, but at the level of teaching that is not top 12, perhaps look for something with more consonant harmony to learn tuning and pitch center such as chorales, IMHO.

Donny

it really isn't about being musical. it's about "doing exactly what you rehearse." if the staff does its job correctly, the product is "musical," but there isn't room for individual musicality. if there were, you'd have no way to clean the show effectively.

but hey... what do i know? both years we won dci titles, this approach worked very well. 2nd in brass the first time, and 1st the second time.

it really isn't about being musical. it's about "doing exactly what you rehearse." if the staff does its job correctly, the product is "musical," but there isn't room for individual musicality. if there were, you'd have no way to clean the show effectively.

but hey... what do i know? both years we won dci titles, this approach worked very well. 2nd in brass the first time, and 1st the second time.

Agreed, and we used the same approach in 2005....worked fine then too. I guess it depends on your definition of musicality though. I've always thought of it as a more personal touch....vibrato on a phrase, changing dynamics in a solo, etc. I guess you can still call playing proper with dynamics and accents 'musical', even if you are just doing exactly what the staff tells you every time. I'm not so sure that musicality has to be an individual thing though.