What do space chords teach?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

eh... how to play loud, i guess.

all that stuff about balance is bunk, since balance in the arch has little if anything to do with balance in the drill.

Clearly you've either never marched in a hornline, or you just weren't paying attention. At all.

Anyways, the amazing thing about Space Chords is that you can do some amazing stuff with it, especially at lower dynamic levels. Anyone can play loud, only few can play incredibly soft. Space chords at ppp REALLY help you find the center of your horn for a great resonant tone, which is extremely difficult in the softer dynamics.

Anyways, the amazing thing about Space Chords is that you can do some amazing stuff with it, especially at lower dynamic levels.

Whenever I play space chords, something AMAZING happens

seriously, i guess they "teach" stagger breathing, but again -- breathing during the show is normally set in the context of the show. performing the show isn't about being musical; it's about doing exactly what you are instructed to do. very little musicianship required.

i don't know, i guess. playing loud while standing still is pretty fun. is that educational?

Why does every single thing a hornline does at any moment have to be educational? Honestly one of the best things I learned from stuff like that was about taking joy in playing and having fun with it.

It taught me that there is indeed a valid reason why the tagline to the original movie Aliens might actually be true:

"In space, no one can hear you scream."

However, the whole thing about sound pressure waves not existing in a vacuum (e.g. space) could debunk the whole "space chord" phenomenon. I mean, wouldn't it be a bummer to drive the busses and equipment trucks all the way to space only to find out there's no sound?

imBoaaaCSczsPdlW00xqySxRaA==.jpg

Meh who cares what they teach. They sound cool.

You don't really learn anything in drum corps anyways. It's not musical at all. :laughing:

what about learning to play higher like pushing into your face or pinching your lips together?