Rules Changes, Day 2

Remember years ago when they shortend shows so more could be on the telecast?

Define this thing you call "telecast."

And San Antonio would be a half hour longer. How much does it cost to rent the Alamodome per hour?

Mike

I believe the stadium is rented by the day.

But there are usually breaks worked into the day and those could be shortened if it was absolutely necessary to end at a specific time.

Define this thing you call "telecast."

what DCI used to offer

It's obviously an "in" to get those "illegal" things let in to the activity soon, either by saying, "Look, we already use them for 6 minutes!" or hoping the crowd enjoys the 6 minutes enough to implement them. Either way, that's what it's for.

It's obviously an "in" to get those "illegal" things let in to the activity soon, either by saying, "Look, we already use them for 6 minutes!" or hoping the crowd enjoys the 6 minutes enough to implement them. Either way, that's what it's for.

Maybe, but you can do that now, so what's the real reason behind the codification?

Is there any consideration as to what constitutes as pre-show and what doesn't? If a corps plays F-tuning right before their show but you hear a hung release or they play particularly badly or something, can the GE judge call them out on it? Or more realistically, can a GE judge call a corps out for NOT taking advantage of pre-show?

I'm afraid that corps will be pressured to do this pre-show even if it might not be appropriate for their particular program, or when they're at a performance level where they can't finish their show strong if they add three minutes to it. It's fine how it is.

Remember years ago when they shortend shows so more could be on the telecast?

That was so the corps shows could fit on the albums without special and costly production costs. Standard album had room for 25 minutes. At 13 minutes, two shows exceeded standards. With CDs and DVDs, that reason has long been put to pasture.

-The 18 minute "show" idea is definitely a plus in my opinion.

-"Anything goes" needs to be defined, but there are some interesting applications if the proposal does go through.*

I had the opportunity to see Cadets and Crown at the Rome show in NY this past summer and the pre-show is definitely something more corps should utilize. Specifically with Crowns show (which I had no idea what was going on) it all-of-the-sudden made sense; grass being greener on the other side and all that fun stuff.

To tie it all together here's an idea a corps could use:

Imagine a "Fiddler on the Roof" show starting off with the famous Tevye's monologue and an ACTUAL violin player on a prop house playing "tradition." Of course it can't be judged, but this would allow for the fans and the judges to really get a grasp on the show concept. Or a space invasion show using a theremin or other strange musical instruments to set the shows mood.**

*Not a supporter of woodwind instruments on the drum corps field.

**The electronics throughout the show is already something far away from traditional drum corps.