Changing the Game

To add to some of the other great shows mentioned here (80 SCV, mid-80's Cadets, 93 Star, mid-90's BD, 00's Cavaliers, etc), I would like to add SCV 1991 for their percussion innovation. I think that show, and its use of percussion effect, helped change the way designers approached percussion writing: it's not just beats, melodies, and impact. There were so many great percussion effects in that 91 Vanguard show, and I think it paved the way for other great writing after.

I think some people took my question the wrong way.

The point wasn't to find out something that was never done again after one corps did it, but to say what had the most impact on DCI, thus changing how corps approached their shows in the coming years.

And I finally came to the musical decisions for my opinion.

-Suncoast Sound, early 80's. Really pushed the envelope in regards to musical selection and writing. Tasty, tasty brass licks (though most of them while standing still) that I believe is a base for the modern day brass feature, which brings me to...

-Cadets, 2000. The brass feature near the end, couple with outstanding percussion features, set the modern standard on how to excite a crowd and get them off their feet

The point wasn't to find out something that was never done again after one corps did it, but to say what had the most impact on DCI, thus changing how corps approached their shows in the coming years.

-Suncoast Sound, early 80's. Really pushed the envelope in regards to musical selection and writing. Tasty, tasty brass licks (though most of them while standing still) that I believe is a base for the modern day brass feature, which brings me to...

-Cadets, 2000. The brass feature near the end, couple with outstanding percussion features, set the modern standard on how to excite a crowd and get them off their feet

"What had the most impact on DCI, thus changing how Corps approached their shows in the coming years " ?

Since you're rephrased your question to avoid what you perceive is confusion, I 'd answer....." the recession "

Many Corps began to trim their expenses, some curtailed the number of shows since the recession, others cut back of the number of large props in their show ( expensive to transport across country ), others trimmed the number of payed staff by having staff serve in several capacities, and others utilized more volunteers, and other Corps approached their future year's shows in a more coherent manner by eliminating the criss crossing of the country as they previously did. All Corps have been impacted by the recession, but some have handled the financial strains on their Corps better than others .All of these changes were neccessitated by the economic realities of the recession that had a tremendous impact on DCI's member Corps.

Edited by BRASSO

"What had the most impact on DCI, thus changing how Corps approached their shows in the coming years " ?

Since you're rephrased your question to avoid what you perceive is confusion, I 'd answer....." the recession "

Many Corps began to trim their expenses, some curtailed the number of shows since the recession, others cut back of the number of large props in their show ( expensive to transport across country ), others trimmed the number of payed staff by having staff serve in several capacities, and others utilized more volunteers, and other Corps approached their future year's shows in a more coherent manner by eliminating the criss crossing of the country as they previously did. All Corps have been impacted by the recession, but some have handled the financial strains on their Corps better than others .All of these changes were neccessitated by the economic realities of the recession that had a tremendous impact on DCI's member Corps.

While true, I was just trying to clear up confusion. While it's true that the recession has definately impacted how corps approach shows nowadays, the original question:

"what do you think, performance-wise, changed the way other corps approached their shows in years to come the most?"

I was just clearing up confusion because, for example, there was mention of a 40' bass drum that wasn't used ever again.

I totally disagree with both of your selections as "most impact" .....umm, why and how did these two selections fit your criteria ??....and most folks dont even recall SUncoast Sound until the mid eighties, unless we/you were olucky to see them live and be a fan.......it was their brass lines of the mid to late eighties and programming mainly 88, that raised an eyebrow....if you are refering to the all original 85 music, it really had no influence at all considering only a handfull of corps did so afterwards......

G

G

Edited by GMichael1230

A fat lady and a shark.......end of discussion.

Here's my list:

1972 Anaheim Kingsmen -- nearly perfect balance across all sections.

1973 Santa Clara Vanguard -- they really were the "vanguard" of the classical influence and sublime performance of a complex, yet subtle, program; they made this kind of creativity work within the confines of an extremely restrictive competitive structure.

1975 Madison Scouts -- that sound!

1977 Oakland Crusaders -- gotta put in a plug for the home team, if for nothing else for having the top drum line that year, but not getting the trophy because the corps missed making finals.

1977 Blue Devils -- that sound, but also nearly perfect balance across all sections.

1978 Spirit of Atlanta -- that sound!

1979 Blue Devils -- that sound!

1979 27th Lancers -- game-changing drill, and of course that guard!

1979 Bridgemen -- really brought the use of theatricality to the forefront.

1980 Santa Clara Vanguard -- asymmetrical drill throughout the entire show, but also an amazing percussion book.

1980 Bridgemen -- speaking of drums ... :smile:

1981 Blue Devils -- brought body movement fully integrated with equipment work into color guard.

1983 Garfield Cadets -- the drill that changed it all.

1984 Suncoast Sound -- one of the all-time great emotional programs.

1985 Cavaliers -- "The Planets" marked what was to become their emergence into dominance during the modern DCI era.

1987 Santa Clara Vanguard -- thrilling use of theatricality in one of the most balanced programs, across all sections, of all time.

1987 Garfield Cadets -- yet another groundbreaking George Zingali drill.

1987 Phantom Regiment -- loved the change to a more graceful style in the all-white uniforms!

1991 Star of Indiana -- that sound (1990 was pretty great, too)!

1993 Star of Indiana -- their swan song ... yet what a way to go out!

Edited by byline

'91 Star: The Cross-to-Cross. George Zingalli's last masterpeice (correct me if I'm wrong please), and set the stage for the high intensity drill we know and love today, IMO.

Slight correction here. Zingali actually wrote some of the drill for the opener in '92.

The whole staff of the early 80's Garfield changed the activity for the better big time.

Visually, Star '93 no doubt. Cavaliers 2002 took it to the next level with the high level of integration between visual and music. I think some people who have been moaning about how DCI is becoming a visual activity have Star '93 to blame.

Interestingly, the music program from Star '93 didn't influence drum corps nearly as much as the visual program. Music today is still highly accessible, and fans (well, at least DCP) don't seem to like it when corps try less accessible things. We still want loud and fast, we'd still be okay with Malaguena for 11 minutes, we want to cheer at the end of our shows. When corps play mezzo-forte, we get bored. Consider this: no one's going to give a standing ovation for a ballad if it doesn't hit at least double-forte. What incentive is there to innovate away from fast and loud?

Gotta disagree about Star '93 pushing the "write the music to fit the visual" paradigm. That was all Cavaliers. Listen to the original works and tell me where Jimmer took creative license to stress a visual moment. I think it's a fair argument to say that Star '93 changed the vocabulary of visual but there is no way you can tell me that the music was written to the visual. Jimmer never operated that way.

• Like 1