Changing the Game

So I'm watching Star '91, and can't help but question myself "What on the field changed the game for corps?".

Besides stating the obvious, such as Bb bugles, electronics, etc...what do you think, performance-wise, changed the way other corps approached their shows in years to come the most?

For me, I'd have to say 2 things stick out, and both can be credited to the same man.

'83 Cadets: Z-Pull. Called by some "The 30 seconds that changed DCI", an incredible drill move by George Zingalli that was way ahead of it's time.

'91 Star: The Cross-to-Cross. George Zingalli's last masterpeice (correct me if I'm wrong please), and set the stage for the high intensity drill we know and love today, IMO.

So what say you? Any music people out there that have their $.02 for this topic?

Star 1993 - Percussion, percussion, percussion. Also the show design was a kind of creative awakening to everyone else.

Cadets 2000 - Sections features held together by one motif in the pit. Great GE!

Cavaliers 2002 - Showed how music and visual can have a very intimate relationship.

1981-At which time the Bridgemen turned over half of their show to a partly-literal performance of West Side Story with color-coded gangs and a Tony and Maria (complete with death scene), and Phantom Regiment the same year doing an entire show based on a dramatic narrative. this "storytelling" arc reached its zenith in 1986 with the Sky Ryders' Oz show, a brilliant linear storytelling show.

I would have to say SCV 1980. The first asymetrical drill. Way ahead of its time.

Showed that corps did not have to do a mirror drill and be successfull.

Bridgemen 76...the first real break away from the military past. so overlooked by people.

SCV 80 and the drill.

Cadets 82 taking what SCV did and going the next mile

Star 93 with show selection...not sure if it was all good looking at it in hindsight but #### they did it well

SCV 04 for percussion....I think that show has had more impact on the drum world than any other

I would have to say SCV 1980. The first asymetrical drill. Way ahead of its time.

Showed that corps did not have to do a mirror drill and be successfull.

Not even half of that drill is asymmetrical. But it's gorgeous. I wonder how we'd feel about it if they hadn't marched it well.

Edited by tommytimp

Many people mention George Zingali's Z-pull move as a game changer, but I would like to

add that his whole approach to writing drill is what changed the game. The Z-pull was one move.

He had an entire vocabulary of visual phrases that would depict the feel of the music. Someone

once said to me that most drill writers at the time were writing sentences while George was

writing Novels. :blink:

this "storytelling" arc reached its zenith in 1986 with the Sky Ryders' Oz show, a brilliant linear storytelling show.

Although 86 Sky Ryders was great, 87 Sky Ryders was greater IMHO. The staging was WAY ahead of its time...The game was pushed forward the next year by SUNCOAST SOUND's "Symphonic Dances for the Contemporary Child" Storytelling WITH original music....

Without those shows doing what they did, there is NO Spartacus 2008!!!

just my .02

Visually, Star '93 no doubt. Cavaliers 2002 took it to the next level with the high level of integration between visual and music. I think some people who have been moaning about how DCI is becoming a visual activity have Star '93 to blame.

Interestingly, the music program from Star '93 didn't influence drum corps nearly as much as the visual program. Music today is still highly accessible, and fans (well, at least DCP) don't seem to like it when corps try less accessible things. We still want loud and fast, we'd still be okay with Malaguena for 11 minutes, we want to cheer at the end of our shows. When corps play mezzo-forte, we get bored. Consider this: no one's going to give a standing ovation for a ballad if it doesn't hit at least double-forte. What incentive is there to innovate away from fast and loud?