Changing the Game

I say nothing changed to make it better, Just different. It has always been great, and still is. Now the problem is, what has made it less popular than it was?

Visually, Star '93 no doubt. Cavaliers 2002 took it to the next level with the high level of integration between visual and music. I think some people who have been moaning about how DCI is becoming a visual activity have Star '93 to blame.

Interestingly, the music program from Star '93 didn't influence drum corps nearly as much as the visual program. Music today is still highly accessible, and fans (well, at least DCP) don't seem to like it when corps try less accessible things. We still want loud and fast, we'd still be okay with Malaguena for 11 minutes, we want to cheer at the end of our shows. When corps play mezzo-forte, we get bored. Consider this: no one's going to give a standing ovation for a ballad if it doesn't hit at least double-forte. What incentive is there to innovate away from fast and loud?

Interesting. I think that Star '93 actually did push music in a different direction for the corps.

Take SCV from 1997-2001. Would they have put any of that music on the field if Star hadn't gone off the deep end, relative to where the rest of the activity was in '93? I personally don't think so.

I mean, who would have thought Copland's "artiste" pieces would work as a corps show? Same thing with "The Canyon"...same thing with all the pieces in 2000 (which is one of three shows [along with Crossmen '92 and Phantom '03] I almost enjoy more without the visual; it's not that the visual is bad, it's just that that music is so amazing, I want to listen to it as a concert ).

Same sort of thing with BK's shows more recently (2009, not as much...but definitely for 2006-2008).

Visually, Star '93 no doubt. Cavaliers 2002 took it to the next level with the high level of integration between visual and music. I think some people who have been moaning about how DCI is becoming a visual activity have Star '93 to blame.

Interestingly, the music program from Star '93 didn't influence drum corps nearly as much as the visual program. Music today is still highly accessible, and fans (well, at least DCP) don't seem to like it when corps try less accessible things. We still want loud and fast, we'd still be okay with Malaguena for 11 minutes, we want to cheer at the end of our shows. When corps play mezzo-forte, we get bored. Consider this: no one's going to give a standing ovation for a ballad if it doesn't hit at least double-forte. What incentive is there to innovate away from fast and loud?

I would credit 2000 Cavaliers as a much more inovative, cohesive marriage between music and visual....01 and 02 were just extensions to the foundation that they created in 00.

G

Ah yes, angry SCV :) It's certainly different compared to BD playing jazz and Cadets playing band music, and they were very relevant. BK also plays very fan-unfriendly music. It's not quite the same impact as nearly every corps doing some kind of extra body movement in their program. That's game changing.

Maybe it's because you're not rewarded for pushing it musically as much as you are rewarded for pushing it visually. You could probably get away with being dirty visually under the premise of trying to do more and harder stuff, but music-wise it still comes down to chipping notes and missing attacks. Plus who wants to play a program that gets people to sit on their hands? I guess people do drum corps to be rock stars rather than avant-garde artists.

You want to change the game musically today, it will probably involve electronics, sadly. And probably nothing that hasn't been already done in band. Most hornlines already are getting a pad-bass boost when they play out.

I would credit 2000 Cavaliers as a much more inovative, cohesive marriage between music and visual....01 and 02 were just extensions to the foundation that they created in 00.

G

2000 was definitely the start. 2002 feels like the culmination since they were untouchable that year.

I guess I take a "punctuated equilibrium" approach to changes in drum corps. Punctuated equilibrium is the notion in evolution that things gradually change constantly but there are bursts of dramatic change that occur from time to time. To be honest, there have been many great folks that have shaped drum corps. Some of them just constantly being great teachers and others showing bursts of brilliance.

Well, that's my 0.2. But being a visual guy myself, Zingali was my hero.

1979 Guardsmen quads (no, I was not in the line)

1980 SCV - 8 quads with 4 high pitch and 4 low pitch

1976 though early 80's - Phantom Regiment marching a 40" bass which I have never seen repeated

Bridgemen drums solos - the left handed 16th notes and the blindfolds - never seen this attempted again

1976 Blue Devils and the North tenors

1979-1980 Blue Devils with the accent drums mounted on the snares (tried previously by the Kilties with limited success)

1976 though early 80's - Phantom Regiment marching a 40" bass which I have never seen repeated

I believe Spirit used one in 1988. It had an old-school slingerland V harness.