Madison Scouts 2010

Cop

All of a sudden, we're taking a late-round butt kickin' in the Old School challenge! I think the update today was like $5395 to $4099 in Boston's favor. If you havn't donated yet, get to it!! $1300 is a lot, no doubt...but not insurmountable!

I plan on throwing another punch on behalf of the Scouts

tomorrow when I get my next paycheck!

Well Jerry, I feel ya. But it may help to remember that you guys in 75 were the champion and the year

before were almost the champion. This edition of the Scouts is moving back into Finals contention after

finishing 15th. I think it's fair to say that it is unfair to compare them to the 75 Scouts. When I saw them

a couple weeks ago in Madison and Cedarburg, I was thrilled with how they sounded. It was such

an improvement over a year ago that I couldn't help but be impressed. Are they top 6 level yet? Probably

not, but that isn't the goal at this stage. Mason said that he wanted to re-establish the brand, get back

to basics and technique...and then build on that in the years to come. If you're disappointed, that's fine and

I can understand it. But I'm not. I am thrilled at how far they have come already!

Jeff, you're completely right and I get it when it comes to the "where they've been and where they're going" discussion, and I couldn't be happier for this year’s corps and their future potential. My comments had nothing to do with "measuring up" to the 75' corps in outcome or totality. It would be ridiculous and irresponsible to do so. Furthermore, I made no disparaging comments regarding level of performance in overall show or current placement of this year’s corps. As a matter of fact, I'm absolutely thrilled towards Madison's reemergence. I was merely speaking and agreeing in kind to the gentleman's previous comments regarding "sound", "volume" and "musical score". He was recounting as so many do who witnessed the 75' show....the off the charts adrenalin ride, the sheer power and magic of that show (you know, that whole rip your face off, take no prisoners 75' kind of thing). For that matter, to this day the 75' Scouts are still regarded as one of Drum Corps all time favorites! It certainly may and is apparently being argued here that it's wrong for him, others or me to reference the 75' line. But the fact is, someone in the organization made the fateful decision to do a 75' redo, complete with throwback uniforms right down to the black sashes, and in doing so, raised a particularly "stratospheric" bar that would be incredibly difficult for few to approach. Thus, it's just a little difficult to not expect a certain resemblance in sound, volume and finesse if you're attempting to do the 75' show, wouldn't you agree?....is it wrong to expect as much? To telegraph to the world you're doing the 75' show and to then not produce a relative facsimile of the 75' sound (remembering all along that the 75’ show was known for its “sound” more than anything else!)....well, it may leave more than a few observers just a little flat in the expectation department. I think you would agree that the 75' show would be a tough act for anyone to follow. Thus, I believe that this year’s rendition poses a substantial challenge....especially when you're emerging from 15th! I for one hope there's a few more tweaks and tricks up the sleeve for the 2010 Scouts and that we'll also hear the volume and dynamics opened up quite a bit. It's understood that these are different times with different instrumentation and unbelievable on field "gymnastics". I simply don’t know how these guys do it today without more injuries. But again, it's pretty heady stuff to do 75'. If you’re going to do it, then do it! On a side note, I think we need to be a little more careful in how we respond. There’s just a little too much knee jerk, broad brush reaction when anything is at all perceived as negative toward our favorite corps. I make a few comments about “sound” and it’s immediately determined that I think this year’s corps sucks! Nothing could be further from the truth. Some need to back away from the green kool-aide table!

P.S. I knew I’d be taking a chance with my comments, especially from those that bleed Madison green. And I’m not in the least surprised by the personal hate mail I’ve received….though just a little from one former marching member/instructor….you know who you are. I learned long time ago that in the game of drum corps, contrary opinions are not welcome….period! Especially if it’s the “home” team. Sadly disappointing. Oh well, what do I know anyway.

Jeff, you're completely right and I get it when it comes to the "where they've been and where they're going" discussion, and I couldn't be happier for this year’s corps and their future potential. My comments had nothing to do with "measuring up" to the 75' corps in outcome or totality. It would be ridiculous and irresponsible to do so. Furthermore, I made no disparaging comments regarding level of performance in overall show or current placement of this year’s corps. As a matter of fact, I'm absolutely thrilled towards Madison's reemergence. I was merely speaking and agreeing in kind to the gentleman's previous comments regarding "sound", "volume" and "musical score". He was recounting as so many do who witnessed the 75' show....the off the charts adrenalin ride, the sheer power and magic of that show (you know, that whole rip your face off, take no prisoners 75' kind of thing). For that matter, to this day the 75' Scouts are still regarded as one of Drum Corps all time favorites! It certainly may and is apparently being argued here that it's wrong for him, others or me to reference the 75' line. But the fact is, someone in the organization made the fateful decision to do a 75' redo, complete with throwback uniforms right down to the black sashes, and in doing so, raised a particularly "stratospheric" bar that would be incredibly difficult for few to approach. Thus, it's just a little difficult to not expect a certain resemblance in sound, volume and finesse if you're attempting to do the 75' show, wouldn't you agree?....is it wrong to expect as much? To telegraph to the world you're doing the 75' show and to then not produce a relative facsimile of the 75' sound (remembering all along that the 75’ show was known for its “sound” more than anything else!)....well, it may leave more than a few observers just a little flat in the expectation department. I think you would agree that the 75' show would be a tough act for anyone to follow. Thus, I believe that this year’s rendition poses a substantial challenge....especially when you're emerging from 15th! I for one hope there's a few more tweaks and tricks up the sleeve for the 2010 Scouts and that we'll also hear the volume and dynamics opened up quite a bit. It's understood that these are different times with different instrumentation and unbelievable on field "gymnastics". I simply don’t know how these guys do it today without more injuries. But again, it's pretty heady stuff to do 75'. If you’re going to do it, then do it! On a side note, I think we need to be a little more careful in how we respond. There’s just a little too much knee jerk, broad brush reaction when anything is at all perceived as negative toward our favorite corps. I make a few comments about “sound” and it’s immediately determined that I think this year’s corps sucks! Nothing could be further from the truth. Some need to back away from the green kool-aide table!

P.S. I knew I’d be taking a chance with my comments, especially from those that bleed Madison green. And I’m not in the least surprised by the personal hate mail I’ve received….though just a little from one former marching member/instructor….you know who you are. I learned long time ago that in the game of drum corps, contrary opinions are not welcome….period! Especially if it’s the “home” team. Sadly disappointing. Oh well, what do I know anyway.

Jerry - All good points made. And my earlier post was no disrespect to you at all and I hope

non was taken. I have no problem with differing opinions. I don't take offense to anything you

said in your post, nor did I assume that you were saying the current guys suck. I just took it

that you were a bit disappointed with the sound. But getting back to the

75 Scouts....the bar was indeed set very high...I don't think we even touched it with the

Alumni Project...of course it would have helped if we played more than 2 bars of Slaughter,

don't you think? :tongue:

(Stepping from out of the shadows). As an alum though I won't be able to see the guys in person this year---I'm just loving the music regardless of whether it is played on Bflat or G horns- 3 valves or piston rotors. Keep it coming guys!!!

BTW- Hey Jeff K.-- we are down to 6 weeks and the wife and I will either have a new Scout (or SCV member if its a girl) in our life!!

MYNWA

Clay M.

As the original poster, I wanted to weigh back in and say how much I appreciate you alums taking the time to respond to and thoughtfully reflect on my comments in Post #1135 on page 114 of this thread. Briefly recapping, I said that as a long-time, die-hard fan of the corps, I was a "tiny bit disappointed" in the level of the brass volume put out by the Scouts in the Dallas and Converse, Tex., shows a couple days ago. I also noted that the arrangements of Slaughter and Rhapsody are quite tame and don't come close to generating the type of crowd excitement that Ray Baumgardt's old versions did.

I saw every World Class corps except Jersey Surf perform twice during four great days of non-stop drum corps, and it's pretty easy to make comparisons when you see all the corps back to back to back. I thoroughly enjoyed the Scouts show. I loved seeing the corps in the modified Explorer Scout uniform once again and the music was wonderful and well performed. If the Scouts can jump from 15th to 11th place in a single year, that would be a significant accomplishment, especially considering that there are only about two dozen "large" corps left and the competition is fierce.

Nevertheless, it was a bit of a letdown that the corps didn't project the volume or produce the excitement I was expecting. The corps scoring directly above the Scouts, such as the Crusaders, Blue Stars, and Blue Knights, each sounded more powerful, and the Blue Devils, Crown, Cadets, Coats, and at times even the Cavies, were in another league. Considering that the corps is one season removed from 15th place, there was no logical reason to think that the Scouts would instantly sound like BD or Crown. But with 84 horns and those uniforms, it was also impossible--however unfair--not to expect them to sound at least close to the great 74-75 corps in terms of volume. And I also expected to hear arrangements that would generate the type of excitement that would get the crowd on its feet long before the end of the show--like 74-75. So I suppose I just had unrealistic expectations. Mason & Co. obviously know what they are doing and they understand the capabilities of their corps. The 1985 version of Star of Indiana had a relatively simple program and hardly resembled the phenomenal corps that followed just a few years later.

So it's probably a good thing that there aren't too many old-time fans still around who can vividly recall "experiencing" the Scouts live during the magical summers of 74-75. The class the corps showed at retreat after they suffered that heart-breaking defeat at Ithaca--the soprano soloist turning and playing directly to Santa Clara during Never Walk and then marching off to another thunderous ovation with heads held high. And coming back the following year and putting on the most thrilling show in drum corps history at Franklin Field and taking home the title. The crowd, myself included, spent at least half of those 12 minutes, on its feet going crazy, reacting to what was happening on the field. Yes, that's a lot to live up to, especially in year one.

Well put, many alumni including myself (that do not post here) totally agree. They will be louder I am told by Allentown Go Scouts!

As the original poster, I wanted to weigh back in and say how much I appreciate you alums taking the time to respond to and thoughtfully reflect on my comments in Post #1135 on page 114 of this thread. Briefly recapping, I said that as a long-time, die-hard fan of the corps, I was a "tiny bit disappointed" in the level of the brass volume put out by the Scouts in the Dallas and Converse, Tex., shows a couple days ago. I also noted that the arrangements of Slaughter and Rhapsody are quite tame and don't come close to generating the type of crowd excitement that Ray Baumgardt's old versions did.

I saw every World Class corps except Jersey Surf perform twice during four great days of non-stop drum corps, and it's pretty easy to make comparisons when you see all the corps back to back to back. I thoroughly enjoyed the Scouts show. I loved seeing the corps in the modified Explorer Scout uniform once again and the music was wonderful and well performed. If the Scouts can jump from 15th to 11th place in a single year, that would be a significant accomplishment, especially considering that there are only about two dozen "large" corps left and the competition is fierce.

Nevertheless, it was a bit of a letdown that the corps didn't project the volume or produce the excitement I was expecting. The corps scoring directly above the Scouts, such as the Crusaders, Blue Stars, and Blue Knights, each sounded more powerful, and the Blue Devils, Crown, Cadets, Coats, and at times even the Cavies, were in another league. Considering that the corps is one season removed from 15th place, there was no logical reason to think that the Scouts would instantly sound like BD or Crown. But with 84 horns and those uniforms, it was also impossible--however unfair--not to expect them to sound at least close to the great 74-75 corps in terms of volume. And I also expected to hear arrangements that would generate the type of excitement that would get the crowd on its feet long before the end of the show--like 74-75. So I suppose I just had unrealistic expectations. Mason & Co. obviously know what they are doing and they understand the capabilities of their corps. The 1985 version of Star of Indiana had a relatively simple program and hardly resembled the phenomenal corps that followed just a few years later.

So it's probably a good thing that there aren't too many old-time fans still around who can vividly recall "experiencing" the Scouts live during the magical summers of 74-75. The class the corps showed at retreat after they suffered that heart-breaking defeat at Ithaca--the soprano soloist turning and playing directly to Santa Clara during Never Walk and then marching off to another thunderous ovation with heads held high. And coming back the following year and putting on the most thrilling show in drum corps history at Franklin Field and taking home the title. The crowd, myself included, spent at least half of those 12 minutes, on its feet going crazy, reacting to what was happening on the field. Yes, that's a lot to live up to, especially in year one.

Edited by RobertPi1ot

Orange you glad I didn't say banana?

<snip> this is what they do in cyber world, no disrespect intended

I was in the stands in 75. The atmosphere was indescribable. It's 2010 now. Do it up good. What do I know? Not much. I was a guard girl :-) That was a great show that night in 75.

But seriously folks, take some time to donate to the Old School Challenge. Right now, BAC is kickin our tail and I, for one, don't want Chris to have to wear a Cru shirt on Saturday...nor do we want to see a Boston logo on our pit cart for the last 2 weeks of the season. :tongue:

The Scouts have the fan base to keep this from happening! If you havn't donated yet, http://www.madisonscouts.org is the place to do so! We're currently $1300 behind. Let's make this happen! :thumbup:

***EDIT: challenge ends July 30th, so you've got to hurry!!

Edited by BigBadMadMan

I was in the stands in 75. The atmosphere was indescribable. It's 2010 now. Do it up good. What do I know? Not much. I was a guard girl :-) That was a great show that night in 75.

"indescribable" is one of those words that always looks like it's spelled incorrectly. :tongue: