• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I can think of a few that have started since 2000

Academy

Teal Sound

Velvet Knights

Music City

Gold

that's what I can think of off the top of my head but I'm sure there's some I'm missing.

Ok, how many actually STARTED on multi key horns ?

( I don't know but it's an interesting point )

electronics

amps

full tour

etc.

Nothing on your list is a requirement. They are options that are available. If people choose to live beyond their means in a misguided effort to keep up, then they suffer the consequences. I don't know why a corps' management would put the financial stability of their organization at risk to buy equipment they can't afford to be "more competitive" for a couple years before they go inactive. Maybe that's just me.

Well I can think of a few that have started since 2000

Academy

Teal Sound

Velvet Knights

Music City

Gold

that's what I can think of off the top of my head but I'm sure there's some I'm missing.

Teal was founded in the late 90's. 2010 was be season #12 for the corps.

Nothing on your list is a requirement. They are options that are available. If people choose to live beyond their means in a misguided effort to keep up, then they suffer the consequences. I don't know why a corps' management would put the financial stability of their organization at risk to buy equipment they can't afford to be "more competitive" for a couple years before they go inactive. Maybe that's just me.

because being seen as uncompetitive isn't a great recruiting tool.

Ok, then why was it pontificated that the switch to multi key would advance the start up of new corps and thus easier for the manufacturers to not only help market drum corps , but to support them?

( and just how many new corps have started up ? )

I always thought that particular argument was just so much BS. Anyone who really expected any corps to use members' equipment past the initial starting phase was deluded. Now, on the other hand, it's a lot easier for corps using Bb/F instruments to sell them when the time comes (every few years most likely). There's no market for G, and even when there was it was exceedingly small.

I always thought that particular argument was just so much BS. Anyone who really expected any corps to use members' equipment past the initial starting phase was deluded. Now, on the other hand, it's a lot easier for corps using Bb/F instruments to sell them when the time comes (every few years most likely). There's no market for G, and even when there was it was exceedingly small.

it might be a BS argument, but it was used in press releases. Just like all the hype about DCI folks being experts with amping and the wonderful creativity we'd see with electronics

Sure, but many ignorant people fell for it.

Problem is, DCI likes to pee on our legs and say it's raining.

At least Hopkins is open and honest about the "supercorps" theory, no matter how much I dislike it, at least he has the gonads to stand up and say whats on his mind.

it might be a BS argument, but it was used in press releases. Just like all the hype about DCI folks being experts with amping and the wonderful creativity we'd see with electronics

Well, its unfortunate that people believe everything they read in a press release :) Trust, but verify.

We have seen some wonderful creativity with electronics. Some major, some minor, and that's only in the first year. We've also seen some disappointing instances of "me too", and throw-away use, just so that corps could say they did...and that's pretty freaking lame. Hopefully, judges will be trained and good uses will be rewarded while bad uses won't.

Well, its unfortunate that people believe everything they read in a press release :) Trust, but verify.

We have seen some wonderful creativity with electronics. Some major, some minor, and that's only in the first year. We've also seen some disappointing instances of "me too", and throw-away use, just so that corps could say they did...and that's pretty freaking lame. Hopefully, judges will be trained and good uses will be rewarded while bad uses won't.

true...but you and I know both know to many, what DCI says is gospel. If DCI said it, it HAS to be true.

personally, electronics usage was underwhelming, and given that it's the same faces designing year in and year out, I don't forsee a drastic change. No offense, but adding a rock band isn't all that creative, it's been done in the band world, and, well, was about as entertaining...or not in other words