Proposal for Design Irony

One thing costume-type uniforms could also do is really expand drill possibilities, since if the guard and corps match, the forms can get even bigger to the eye.

In some ways, that's full circle to back in the day when the guard had variants of corps proper uniforms, now just in reverse.

Mike

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i wonder about thew cost of it. for a 30 or 40 person indoor unit, it's pricey but doable. for 150 member corps, thats a lot of extra $$

+1,000,000,000,000 %

I think what it boils down to here is:

Do you want uniforms?

or

Do you want costumes?

Let me bring some perspective to this:

If the "uniform" is not prescribed by an armed forces regulation, it isn't a military uniform, it's a military-inspired costume. Fact.

The only military uniforms are those approved for wear by branches of the armed forces.

In the budding realm of military exhibition drill, there is a similar debate since individuals and teams have begun moving away from standard issue uniforms - especially when the individual/group is not directly affiliated with the military or a para-military program such as JROTC/ROTC. These new uniforms are NOT military uniforms; they are military-inspired costuming worn in a uniform fashion from member to member.

It is a uniform, yes. No drum and bugle corps wears a military uniform. Not even the Cadets or Troopers. While both originated as military uniforms, neither are today.

Sorry guys, no drum corps has worn a truly military uniform for years. The "military" uniforms of today ARE costumes already. And I haven't seen a drum corps render a proper salute in years. Nor a properly set-up color guard (some people would ignorantly refer to this as an "honor guard" in drum corps). Frankly, this isn't a military activity. It just likes to pretend it is sometimes.

Edited by DrillmanSop06

If the "uniform" is not prescribed by an armed forces regulation, it isn't a military uniform, it's a military-inspired costume. Fact.

The only military uniforms are those approved for wear by branches of the armed forces.

In the budding realm of military exhibition drill, there is a similar debate since individuals and teams have begun moving away from standard issue uniforms - especially when the individual/group is not directly affiliated with the military or a para-military program such as JROTC/ROTC. These new uniforms are NOT military uniforms; they are military-inspired costuming worn in a uniform fashion from member to member.

It is a uniform, yes. No drum and bugle corps wears a military uniform. Not even the Cadets or Troopers. While both originated as military uniforms, neither are today.

Sorry guys, no drum corps has worn a truly military uniform for years. The "military" uniforms of today ARE costumes already. And I haven't seen a drum corps render a proper salute in years. Nor a properly set-up color guard (some people would ignorantly refer to this as an "honor guard" in drum corps). Frankly, this isn't a military activity. It just likes to pretend it is sometimes.

Please in all due respect.. what is your point here?

Please in all due respect.. what is your point here?

To let those who feel as though there is a "military uniform" vs. "costume" debate that there is no debate - drum corps are wearing costumes already and have been for years.

I think it's " pretending " to be " military like "less and less every year though. I don't see the resemblance to "military like , Drum and Bugle Corps". It is much more akin to " marching band". I'm fine with this. I like some of these " Corps- like " Marching Bands, as unlike most of my colleagues,I can STILL see a few remaining elements that remind me of the " Drum and Bugle Corps".

But it's not fair to the " Drum and Bugle Corps " that were " military- like " to be equated with modern day Marching Bands, nor these Marching Bands to Drum and Bugle Corps either..... and these Marching Bands to their credit are a lot different and offer the fan an entertaining different spectacle than the conventional Drum and Bugle Corps offered fans. DCI wanted to distance themselves from the " military like", and they have succeeded, thus preserving for posterity what a " Drum and Bugle Corps " was, and moving into Marching Band " that offers fans now a completely unique and exciting experience unto itself. I say.. Viva l' Difference !!

Edited by BRASSO

First, heres a very interesting article on the history of military uniforms http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G2-3401804317.html

Second, with all due respect, I feel you missed a very important word in jedihunter80's original post, military style. Almost all, if not all modern drum corps and marching band uniform designs have been based on, in some fashion, military uniforms. Imho, jedihunter wasn't claiming drum corps ever wore military uniforms. He did claim drum corps have worn and still wear military style uniforms, which is a very true statement.

a few examples of military uniforms....

http://media.lonelyplanet.com/lpimg/6533/6533-2/preview.jpg

http://www.militarytravelclub.ru/images/mu...if/uniform2.jpg

http://reeseartofwars.com/images/Russian.jpg

http://www.owlpen.com/img/manderportraits/...rtiusMander.jpg

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/uploads//p...-1167190549.jpg (VMI, not USMA)

and

Main Entry: 1cos·tume

Pronunciation: \ˈkäs-ˌtüm, -ˌtyüm also -təm or -ˌchüm\

Function: noun

Etymology: French, from Italian, custom, dress, from Latin consuetudin-, consuetudo custom — more at custom

Date: 1799

1 : the prevailing fashion in coiffure, jewelry, and apparel of a period, country, or class

2 : an outfit worn to create the appearance characteristic of a particular period, person, place, or thing <Halloween costumes>

3 : a person's ensemble of outer garments; especially : a woman's ensemble of dress with coat or jacket

— cos·tum·ey adjective

Main Entry: 3uniform

Function: noun

Date: 1748

: dress of a distinctive design or fashion worn by members of a particular group and serving as a means of identification; broadly : distinctive or characteristic clothing

Based on the above definitions, modern drum corps 'color guards' (aka working guards) wear costumes. Modern drum corps horn and drum lines (eg Cadets, SCV, Cavs, Bucs, Crown...) wear uniforms.

-contra chris

Frankly, I found the transition from one to other to be quite smooth. And I'm not the only one.

Never really understood why some of us get so hung up over this kind of minutiae.

First, heres a very interesting article on the history of military uniforms http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G2-3401804317.html

Second, with all due respect, I feel you missed a very important word in jedihunter80's original post, military style. Almost all, if not all modern drum corps and marching band uniform designs have been based on, in some fashion, military uniforms. Imho, jedihunter wasn't claiming drum corps ever wore military uniforms. He did claim drum corps have worn and still wear military style uniforms, which is a very true statement.

DCI units that are NON- GUARD are ( in your words ) " based on, in some fashon, military uniforms"

DCI Guards wear " costumes ". Not " uniforms ". There is nothing " military- like " in their costumes AT ALL.

This was done of course by choice by DCI. They set out to distance themselves from " military- like " units and to their credit in goal attainment, they have succeeded. And nothing differentiates the fact that these DCI marching units are not " military- like " than the Guard costumes themselves. I'm rather surprised that people still consider these DCI marching units as " military- like ", when DCI has done all it could to seperate themselves from " military- like " from Day One of it's inception. Anyone that watches DCI Guards in Corps competition shows and trys to make the case that their style, their costumes, their ethos, their flair, is " military- like " is frankly acting a bit delusional.

. . .when uniforms look closer to "Star Trek: The Next Generation" than West Point, I'd say we've pretty much abandoned anything even quasi-military about the activity.

Seriously, if you took off the shakos, you could put the Glassmen to work on the warp core. :tongue: