Horn Line Openings

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Around four, I believe..

I was just asked by a friend in the X-men if I knew any tuba players who wanted to march. I didn't want to say they had more holes than they really do. Thanks for the clarification! :tongue:

Edited by BlooContraGuy

I actually think it is pretty sad how some corps fail to use the wonderful place that is the internet. I know a corps that has holes every year at spring training. They barely use their website for anything except registration and camp RSVPs. They have a facebook page and a twitter page, and they are never updated. And then closer to the season, they will post obnoxiously on here that they need spots filled. Will one person will. Personally I don't see why things have to be so tight until the season starts. Especially like recordings of stand still stuff. I would want to put that up in a heart beat. Great recruiting tool. Why would I want to fill a hole somewhere if all I have is word from members who are already biased. I do believe a lot of corps need to use recruiting tools a lot more effectively. Social networking sites are great. Even advertise on DCI.org. Even the top corps have holes leading into the season, they seem to fair well. Judges don't care about that crap.

They usually look for musicians on craigslist. Thats were the best can be found on a moments notice, for sure. :tongue:

I actually think it is pretty sad how some corps fail to use the wonderful place that is the internet. I know a corps that has holes every year at spring training. They barely use their website for anything except registration and camp RSVPs. They have a facebook page and a twitter page, and they are never updated. And then closer to the season, they will post obnoxiously on here that they need spots filled. Will one person will. Personally I don't see why things have to be so tight until the season starts. Especially like recordings of stand still stuff. I would want to put that up in a heart beat. Great recruiting tool. Why would I want to fill a hole somewhere if all I have is word from members who are already biased. I do believe a lot of corps need to use recruiting tools a lot more effectively. Social networking sites are great. Even advertise on DCI.org. Even the top corps have holes leading into the season, they seem to fair well. Judges don't care about that crap.

What I've noticed, is that good recruiting is done person to person. You aren't going to pick up the talent you want with just a blanket message. I would have never marched corps if I hadn't received a phone call from the brass caption head. The internet can be used as a recruiting tool, but when corps are trying to fill specific holes you aren't going to get the people you need with an ad on the internet (plus, as seen on this forum, corps that post stuff like that sometimes get bad press). A lot of the recruiting going on at this time of the season is staff calling up individuals. You'll see the ads for holes showing up later if the corps get more desperate.

Well thank you for the replies. I forget that DCP has a negative aura.

So where else can they recruit?

Facebook, word of mouth, band hall posters, more word of mouth, alumni band directors pointing kids to corps (more band hall posters), etc.

Others have already made the point I was going to make. Take this scenario (COMPLETELY made up, by the way):

"The Troopers are looking for two more tuba players and a lead mellophone."

DCP: they're struggling and blah blah blah blah blah (insert uninformed assertion of reasons for the poor, desperate struggle of the Troopers here) ..... It was just a flash in the pan in 2009 and this just proves it, blah blah blah blah..... Best of luck Troopers! (and we know that "Best of luck XYZ corps!" in drum corps speak is sometimes a way of saying "bless your heart...." You southerners know what I mean.)

Yeah. I think we won't often see specific instrument recruitment requests from almost any corps outside of the top 6 here. Heck, Crown could post the same request and I'm sure someone would pounce on it like a cat on a half-dead gecko.

I doubt you meant IT the way I mean IT, but IT is shameful. If I were running a corps, this wouldn't be the place where I would want current and prospective members to go for information such as that. The climate here on DCP runs too harsh where today's corps are concerned. If I were a corps director, I would be circumspect about using the often polluted atmosphere of DCP for any sort of recruiting.

That said, it is common to see corps or their self-designated agents advertise for open spots through the course of the season even here. It just doesn't happen all at once. It probably happens less this time of year when the corps and their staff and members have other, more personal, recruiting options available.

HH

Indeed. Just because it's not posted here for everyone to jump on as a sign that the apocalypse is upon us or that it's somehow George Hopkins' fault, doesn't mean that corps don't have spots to fill or that they're not aggressively trying to do so.

I told myself to stop posting but this whole "late off-season recruiting" is very near and dear to me.

Honestly, kids like me, the ones who get told no in Nov-Dec camps and have a true passion for the activity, are ALWAYS looking.

Last year, I had given up on marching that summer. Being cut in Jan. seems like the kiss of death for a kid. (I know this form personal experience.) In that case I had found Memphis Sound through my band director in, and it's hard to believe, 2 and a half weeks before move-ins. I had thought everyone had stopped looking. So any indication of corps is looking is very beneficial (ESPECIALLY FOR OPEN CLASS, who honestly needs members).

Now, this time I was more proactive and contacted the corps I loved hoping for a chance, which I happily got. However, not everyone is going to do that, corps AND kids need to be more proactive on this.

Edited by SuperTrumpet64

If I were a corps director, this would be the last place I would advertise for prospective members.