Horn Line Openings

This seems to happen every year, but there are some corps out there that are so tight lipped about their winter camps that they may be missing out on a wonderful advertising opportunity here on DCP, or on facebook.

Why not not post that you need players? Is it shameful? Embarrasing?

I'm sure that in this economy, many corps have openings. It makes sense to me to let everyone know so that you can fill the spots.

What am I missing?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear that the Crossmen are looking for a tuba player. Thats really all that I know.

...Why not not post that you need players? Is it shameful? Embarrasing?...

I doubt you meant IT the way I mean IT, but IT is shameful. If I were running a corps, this wouldn't be the place where I would want current and prospective members to go for information such as that. The climate here on DCP runs too harsh where today's corps are concerned. If I were a corps director, I would be circumspect about using the often polluted atmosphere of DCP for any sort of recruiting.

That said, it is common to see corps or their self-designated agents advertise for open spots through the course of the season even here. It just doesn't happen all at once. It probably happens less this time of year when the corps and their staff and members have other, more personal, recruiting options available.

HH

Edited by glory

This seems to happen every year, but there are some corps out there that are so tight lipped about their winter camps that they may be missing out on a wonderful advertising opportunity here on DCP, or on facebook.

Why not not post that you need players? Is it shameful? Embarrasing?

I'm sure that in this economy, many corps have openings. It makes sense to me to let everyone know so that you can fill the spots.

What am I missing?

1. Corps that actually do post these sorts of announcements get savaged on the boards nearly every time. Check out the treatment the Blue Stars received when they tried to advertise opportunities recently. They were accused of being selfish for soliciting kids this time of the year (thus stealing potential recruits from smaller corps). Some posters also suggested the corps must be struggling or inable to instruct the kids they have -- both clearly untrue.

2. There's a perception amongst a lot of corps' management that adjudicators might interpret mid-winter pleas for members as a sign of weakness. There's a fear this perception could possibly influence a judge's preconcieved notions of a corps prior to a season. It's hard to determine if this is happening, but corps simply aren't willing to take the risk these days.

3. Why should they? If you're a kid interested in marching in a corps, contact a corps. I doubt there's a corps in North America right now that wouldn't enthusiastically accept a late auditionee at this point of the preseason. Even corps with more than enough kids in the hornline realize that there will be attrition due to finances, lack of interest, or "life." This especially holds true for the months of May and June when there will no doubt be kids who discover they may not be able to complete a season (due to injury or other).

Don't wait for an invitation. Be proactive and contact the corps.

Maybe they're like freemasonry: You have to come on your own free will and accord.

;)

Pioneer has openings especially low brass...

Well thank you for the replies. I forget that DCP has a negative aura.

So where else can they recruit?

So where else can they recruit?

They can post something on their website. :tongue: