A Poll!

Should MBI be created?   

90 members have voted

1. 1. Should MBI be created to save DCI?

• Should MBI be created to save DCI? (MBI being Marching band international)
    • Should MBI not be created? and DCI left as is to progress as is?
    • This is dumb none of this is relovent?
    • If you think im a complete ### for stealing this idea of MBI from Jedihunter80?
    • Should MBI just be an associate to DCI and both work side by side to promote each other?

I'm quite sure we could find enough members to fill all of those lines. Really. There are LOTS of woodwinds around; more than brass players.

Yes, but probably not at the same level of talent. I know how good the brass players are in the top corps, and I'm pretty sure it would be very difficult to find college-age woodwind players of that talent level willing to march drum corps. This is my opinion from all the experience I have had being a college music major.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where's the voting option for "PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, let's all agree to put something more descriptive in thread titles than "a poll!"?

I suggest this thread should have been titled, "Poll." Or, "Look." Or maybe even, "Here."

Which West Point football team was it that is usually considered the finest/best college team in history? '49? '46? I don't remember...that time period. And when was the first forward pass? Can you imagine what the Old Timers of that activity in that era would say about the game today? And the amount of showmanship exhibited? I mean, sure, athleticism is quite a bit improved and all.

Get my point? Different style of play. Different names. Different faces, especially when you consider the impact of integration on athletics--don't read too much into that statement. Same team names (Texas, Army, Navy, etc). Same uniform colors. Forward pass changed everything forever. Most popular sport in America today.

Just sayin!

Yes, but probably not at the same level of talent. I know how good the brass players are in the top corps, and I'm pretty sure it would be very difficult to find college-age woodwind players of that talent level willing to march drum corps. This is my opinion from all the experience I have had being a college music major.

Really? That's a different experience than I had, but if you say so. Really, my experience has been that there are some great, great woodwind players around that could play pretty much anything thrown at them. They generally play more notes in their concert literature than the brass players. They are numerous. I'm pretty sure we could find enough players in this country to fill a few lines. Look at all of the college marching bands around. I'm sure some of those players would be interested. Of course I don't want this to happen, so I shouldn't give anyone any ideas!

Regardless, irregardless is not a word. :smile:

As far as summer bands, it's been tried before and failed miserably. The competitions were held in conjunction with drum corps shows. The stands were relatively empty (they went on first, and the crowd was in the lot), and many of the brass players defected to the drum corps eventually anyway.

Garry in Vegas

Tell that to the people of MACBDA. Yes, not as large as it used to be, but its out there. Summer marching band already is out there and has been around for a long time. Even BOA (then MBA) used to be part of the summer.

I have no problem with DCI"s elite opting for woodwinds, harmonicas, accordions, "playing the spoons," etc. It's their choice, not mine. I will be disappointed, however, and choose not to participate as customer. If the movers and shakers of DCI believe the creation of a super summer band circuit will have more staying power than the traditional brass and percussion model, then go for it!

For me, the uniqueness of drum corps rather than a sameness to an already existing product is what made this activity interesting. It was always "Hey, marching bands, despite many more restrictions, we can still do what you do, only we'll do it far better." Guess that's still the goal, minus the restrictions.

Also, we have the Cal band, the Princeton band. They're unique too. But, please tell me that's NOT where this is headed.

:smile: