As long as we're stirring pots...Why so many camps?

As a parent I have found, as many of you have, that the rising costs of having a kid in drum corps makes for some difficult choices for families. The last three years my wife and I have chosen not to take any vacation and send my son on the road, which we're fine with. However, I wonder how necessary it is for the added expense of monthly camps (beyond the audition camps) that add thousands of dollars to what it costs for kids trying to march. In particular, why have a camp in the middle of May two weeks before move-in? Or why not make it optional? I have been to a great number of these camps, and while they do build esprit de corps and in the case of non-experienced marchers may be more necessary, it has become a real burden to me, at least. Thoughts?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First thought that comes to mind is this: "Why should it cost thousands to be a member in the first place?" Oh, I forgot -- we no longer have such things as 'local' corps with weekly rehearsals that would make expensive travel and expensive monthly camps unnecessary.

Silly me, I'm another one of those old 'dinosaurs,' left over from an era when you joined the corps in your neighborhood, or at least near enough to travel to each week. Now, it's far more attractive to travel thousands of miles and spend thousands of dollars to be a member of a more select, elite corps, rather than building from the ground up in your own area.

Forgive the cynicism, but this is one of the things that irks me and many of my generation.

First thought that comes to mind is this: "Why should it cost thousands to be a member in the first place?" Oh, I forgot -- we no longer have such things as 'local' corps with weekly rehearsals that would make expensive travel and expensive monthly camps unnecessary.

Silly me, I'm another one of those old 'dinosaurs,' left over from an era when you joined the corps in your neighborhood, or at least near enough to travel to each week. Now, it's far more attractive to travel thousands of miles and spend thousands of dollars to be a member of a more select, elite corps, rather than building from the ground up in your own area.

Forgive the cynicism, but this is one of the things that irks me and many of my generation.

I'm sure people would join local corps, but there aren't many corps close to people anymore (and I'm not going to blame DCI, DCA, or anyone else for this; the lack of sponsors is the prime contributer).

I'm lucky, there are 4 corps within reasonable driving distance of me (Sun Devils - 4 hours, Teal Sound - 2 hours, Boston Crusaders - 3 hours, and Spirit - 5 hours), but a lot of people aren't so lucky.

Edited by Paralda

While that all sounds really good and looks great on paper, it's not going to work if there are no local shows to compete in.

THIS= WIN

I'm still proud to have marched when coming in 33rd was something not all corps could rise to.

All-days for most corps are specifically for learning drill.

To do this they need to make sure the members know the rehearsal etiquette, have their music memorized, know the marching technique, and trust the other members.

Camps are designed to teach/reinforce the things that have to be present at all-days so that their time is used as efficiently as possible. If you can learn the drill in 2 weeks that leaves a full week for cleaning drill before the first show. And good first impressions lead to good initial scores which leads to better seeding positions.

On a similar note, I've always wondered why corps are doing a month or more of everydays. Corps are moving in the third week of May now and not hitting the road untill mid-June.

When I marched not all that long ago (2002-2003) we did two weeks. That was it. And we still had the show on the field at a pretty polished level for June. What the hell are these corps doing with their time that they need 4-5 weeks worth of everydays?

While that all sounds really good and looks great on paper, it's not going to work if there are no local shows to compete in.

Chicken/egg argument that could go on forever since all New Orleans corps had to travel 20+ hours to compete back in the 60's/70's

NEXT :doh:

It's an interesting question that doesn't deserved to be derailed.

In the early 2000s my little corps had less than two weeks of everydays, with a handful of camps before that. Of course, it was run a group of well-meaning incompetents, so I don't think my experience really reflects that of most of those who marched in the big, nationally touring corps. So it would be cool to hear from more people (like contrajedi) who marched these corps.

How many camps did your corps have when you marched (and how long was everydays)? Has the amount changed over time? What's the reasoning behind the change? Has anyone been dissuaded from marching because of the cost of these camps?

I actually got luck and had a friend that worked for an airline and I got free standby tickets. I was able to go to the winter camps at a small expense.