2010 Brass Lines

fifer

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

meh...debatable.

emphasise should have been placed on 'I have seen'

Out of all the college marching bands I have seen in person....

Aburn

Akron

Boston College

California (of Pa)

Delaware

East Stroudsburg (marched, grad student)

Florida State

Illinois

Indiana (of Pa)

Massachusetts

Michigan

Michigan State

Minnesota

Morgan State

Northwestern

Notre Dame

Ohio State

Penn State (marched)

Purdue

Shippensburg

Temple

Tennesse

Texas A&M

Wisconsin

West Chester

Yeah, hands down, TBDBITL has the best sousa section of all the college marching bands I have seen

-contra chris

Edited by Penn State

And you are qualified to comment how? As a fan, educator, instructor, arranger, composer, audio engineer, or what? I mean it's just one person's opinion over another and I would be willing to trust their opinion over someone less experienced.

Also, as an aside. The Ohio State University Marching band has 225 members ( 168 Brass, no guard ), 24 of which are sousaphones. So there's at least one other brass group under 300 people who have OVER 20 tubas and they sound just fine. What's the big deal?

Who cares . Its an opinion. and everyone is entitled to one even if it disagrees with yours.

The Ohio state marching band with 168 brass and a DCI brass line is the stupidest comparison I have read.

24/ 168 or 20/84 ????

I am sure Madison will NOT march 84 anyway.

its all hype.

I don't care how successful they have been, and have proven to be time and time again. 20 tubas is ridiculous, and unnecessary. It is just going to cost the corps more money for those tubas, and it makes it that much harder to clean. And even though they have a great staff set up, they need all the advantages they can get. If you know how a horn line works, you know 20 tubas doesn't make sense. 16 is even too much IMO. More does not equal better. I may be many years younger, and less experienced than the people making the decisions there but I still know a lot about brass playing, and ensemble playing, and how things work.

Hell I wouldn't be surprised if they end up plugging peoples horns at some point in the season. There is no reason to have 20 tubas. None what so ever. Even in a 300 person marching band it isn't needed.

The Earth is flat I tell you! FLAT!

And nobody will ever need more the 640K of RAM! NOBODY!

Relax. There is enough experts and dogma in this cookie-cutter activity to go around. Luckily some folks like to think outside the box and try some things to bring distinction to their program and push the edges of what the experts say is possible. Sure sometimes it's Pink Tables & Rabbits, but sometimes it's Z-Pulls & Mello Runs. As I was once taught by DVD himself- Your reach should always exceed your grasp.

Here's to pushing boundaries and peoples buttons!

Last I heard, the Scouts weren't using a synth.

I'm pretty sure w/all the harkening back to old school, the pit was going to not have electronincs, I may be wrong, but that's what Ive heard

I wish that were true but I'm pretty sure you're wrong on that. While Jeff Lee is one of the best pit directors of all time he also specializes in

electronics. He is still doing SCV's synth writing as well. I'm sure whatever he does for the scouts will be tasteful.

I'm not a brass player but common sense would tell me that their success will boil down to talent+instruction. Clearly they have the instruction part licked, but filling out a talented 12 person tuba line has always been a challenge in this activity, let alone 20, and in an environment where everyone's trying to up their numbers a little bit. Personally I'll be shocked if they actually field 20, I think setting a goal that high is more about hyping the line than anything else. As I said earlier in this thread though, I have mad faith in Brad Green.

No they finished 15th in 07.

If ur gonna hate on Scouts, get ur facts straight.

My mistake. Forgot that the DCP scores page shows you weighted scores first.

Yes, the Scouts finished 15th in 2007.

And, for the record, I'm not hating. Just discussing.

Edited by contrajedi8

You should call or write Donnie or Jimmer and save them from making such a foolish mistake.

If you hurry maybe they'll cut the uneeded players and have time to clean the show before summer.

Oh, and don't forget to mention to both of them that the Corps needs money and they should take their

7 High Brass Trophies and pawn them for some extra cash. Hurry now, before it's too late!

My favorite post in the history of drum corps!!!! Awesome.

I'm not a brass player but common sense would tell me that their success will boil down to talent+instruction. Clearly they have the instruction part licked, but filling out a talented 12 person tuba line has always been a challenge in this activity, let alone 20, and in an environment where everyone's trying to up their numbers a little bit. Personally I'll be shocked if they actually field 20, I think setting a goal that high is more about hyping the line than anything else. As I said earlier in this thread though, I have mad faith in Brad Green.

Well, I counted 19 Tubas in a photo from yesterday's rehearsal, so they're

at least getting close to the goal. I may need to go to a camp and feel

that power for myself!