fifer

Madison will have 84 horns. The breakdown will be:

24 Trumpets

16 Mellos

16 Baritones

8 Euphs

20 Tubas

They had 17 Tubas at last camp and are looking for

3 more individuals to hit that goal of 20.

That is going to be one powerful Brass sound (especially Low Brass)

coming from the Scouts and I can't wait to blown away

by them and need my fillings replaced!

I just peed my pants a little . :worthy:

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Always an inspiration, this one! :worthy:

OIL CAN / Garbage CAN. It will all sound like mush with all that bottom end.

Answer the question or feed the fury....

BOSTON I HEAR IS GOING 80

Cadets sticking with 72

Crossmen sticking with 72

Crown sticking with 80

BD ?

Phantom ?

SCV ?

BK?

Cavies ?

BC ?

Troopers ?

OIL CAN / Garbage CAN. It will all sound like mush with all that bottom end.

Answer the question or feed the fury....

BOSTON I HEAR IS GOING 80

Cadets sticking with 72

Crossmen sticking with 72

Crown sticking with 80

BD ?

Phantom 76?

SCV ?

BK?

Cavies ?

BC ?

Troopers ?

Have you listened to Crown recently? (First to 16 tubas, in 2008, and 80-member hornline)

Star marched 16 King K-90 Contras in 92'. And that was either 70 or 72 brass. From the get go we marched 12 when most marched either 8 or 10, if that. Big basslines are nothing new to Donnie & Jimmer. The Star Alumni are fielding a large tuba line for this year's exhibition performance as well.

Star marched 16 King K-90 Contras in 92'. And that was either 70 or 72 brass. From the get go we marched 12 when most marched either 8 or 10, if that. Big basslines are nothing new to Donnie & Jimmer. The Star Alumni are fielding a large tuba line for this year's exhibition performance as well.

Yeah, my bad, thanks. If you search that shameful video site on "N2nNDHYzgMk" you can count the hornline very easily...56 brass in the concert formation behind the 16 contras, for 72 horns. I'm not sure what this means, but I was at '92 Finals as a fan, and I don't recall this fact. That means I probably walked away thinking "16 contras....how come I couldn't tell?" I guess Star people thought the same thing, since they went with 12 in 1993.

....snip

BD and Phantom were all Euphs last year. I think Cavies were all Bari. Cadets are rumored to be going all Bari this year. My point is that I think it depends on the book (Cavies, BD and Cadets), where Phantom just likes that sound. More power to them. Everyone else just does the boring, default 2/3 Baris and 1/3 Euphs (playing the lower part). I think it would be cool if someone flipped that, and went with 1/3 Baris and 2/3 Euphs. That way, you'd get a darkness from the 16 Euphs/16 Contras, yet a brighter high part in the lead baris, almost like the old French Horn, but it all depends on the writing. The Euphs could play high AND low parts if necessary....just seems like the best of all worlds to me. Who doesn't want more color options?

The problem is that 95% of the arrangers in DCI have no concept of tonal COLORing. It's a lost art in drum corps that resides in the woodshed of only 2 arrangers that I'm aware of. Klesch and Jimmers. The rest have passed on or away sadly. I wish the new guys would listen to some 80's and early 90's before firing up Finale 2010.