2010 Brass Lines

fifer

That's right, I forgot. It is no longer called DCI, it is now called WGI - summer edition!!!

I suppose if you can't march and can't play, everything will be just fine as long as the guard is good.

And Madison...... OMG!! Can't wait!

I think people on DCP really ignore how important guard is... if a Corps has a great percussion section and brassline, but a horrible guard, they'll score badly. That's just logic. I know most DCP posters are drummers or horn players... but you can't just forget about a third of the corps.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think people on DCP really ignore how important guard is... if a Corps has a great percussion section and brassline, but a horrible guard, they'll score badly. That's just logic. I know most DCP posters are drummers or horn players... but you can't just forget about a third of the corps.

Excellent point, and I 've said as much before on DCP.

The Guard actually is weighted much more heavily in DCI these days than just about any other section of a Corps.

We might have a momentary solo by brass or percussion. But we see solo dancers in Guard much more prominently displayed on the field these days. Time wise, some of the Guard solo dancers are performing much longer in many cases than the solos from the brass or percussion lines. Plus, Guards are much more influential in the visual scores than any of the marchers in percussion or brass. Guards do dance and multiple equipment work and are seen out front and center of shows more and more.

( for example ) which do people think will be more important to this Corps scores and placements this year : One of Madison's 20 contras ? or one of Madison's guard members ?

If you said " one of Madison's guard members ", you are of course correct, and understand that all marchers are NOT alike in terms of value, and that some marchers ( ie guard ) are weighted more in terms of value on the score sheets... and thus are more valuable to the Corps ultimate score and placement than other marchers in other sections.

Guards used to be auxillary components to Corps. But through the evolutionary changes, Guards are predominent in the more Visually oriented Corps of today, and the judging captions have likewise changed to weight the Guards higher as well.

The pathway to a DCI title is no longer through a strong percussion and brass line. It is done primarily through a strong Visual program.... and the Guard is paramount to that emphasis. You tell me who has the best Guard and the best and most creative Visual program in DCI ( not the best brass and drum line ), and I'll tell you who the DCI champion will be that year... and 90% of the time, I've been right in my prediction that year.

Some of the guards in DCA are now larger than the brass lines. Corps that are saavy know what gets their card punched for a title..... or high placements. It's the Guards and the Visual with each passing year.

Edited by BRASSO

Excellent point, and I 've said as much before on DCP.

The Guard actually is weighted much more heavily in DCI these days than just about any other section of the Corps.

We might have a momentary solo by brass or percussion. But we see solo dancers in Guard much more prominenyly displayed on the field these days. Time wise, some of the Guard solo dancers are much longer in many cases than the solos from the brass or percussion lines. Plus, Guards are much more influential in the visual scores than any of those marchers in percussion or brass. Guards do dance and multiple equipment work.

Which do people think is more important to a Corps : One of Madison's 20 contras ? or one of Madison's guard members ?

If you said " one of Madison's guard members ", you are of course correct, and understand that all marchers are NOT alike in terms of value, and that some marchers ( ie guard ) are weighted more... and thus are more valuable to the Corps score and placements than other marchers in other sections.

Guards used to be auxillary components to Corps. But throughthe evolutionary changes, Guards are predominent in the more Visually oriented Corps of today, and the judging captions have likewise changed to weight the Guards higher as well.

The pathway to a DCI title is no longer through a strong peercussion and brass line. It is done primarily through a streong Visual program.... and the Guard is paramount to that emphasis. You tell me who has the best Guard and the best and most creative Visual program in DCI, and I'll tell you who the DCI champion will be that year... and 90% I've ben right.

Some of the guards in DCA are larger than the brass lines. Corps that are saavy know what gets their card punched for a title..... or high placements. It's the Guards and Visual with each passing year.

One more thing to point out: Most DCI visual judges are guard people to begin with. SOoo, even when they judging effect, ensemble, or visual performance they are still judging the guard at least equally if not heavier than the rest of the corps proper. I have heard brass instructors in the past say that they were getting comments in cirtique in music effect, music ensemble, and even brass about the guard. Colorguard is present on shows up on 5 of the eight sheets (visual effect, Music effect, visual ensemble, visual performance, and obviously colorguard) already as it is, but it will often times seep into music ensemble and brass because those judges are often judging effect and will be influenced by those reads.

Guard is the one caption that if it is bad (or small) you are sunk.

One more thing to point out: Most DCI visual judges are guard people to begin with. SOoo, even when they judging effect, ensemble, or visual performance they are still judging the guard at least equally if not heavier than the rest of the corps proper. I have heard brass instructors in the past say that they were getting comments in cirtique in music effect, music ensemble, and even brass about the guard. Colorguard is present on shows up on 5 of the eight sheets (visual effect, Music effect, visual ensemble, visual performance, and obviously colorguard) already as it is, but it will often times seep into music ensemble and brass because those judges are often judging effect and will be influenced by those reads.

Guard is the one caption that if it is bad (or small) you are sunk.

Exactly. Phantom Regiment from 2009 knows this all to well.

Had Phantom had some slippage in brass and percussion over 2008, but improved their guard and visual show, no doubt they would not have suffered quite the placement slide.

And lets not forget that as Corps in 2008 worked their butts off the last week before Finals to tweak and clean their shows, it was Phantom's VISUAL change ( not brass, drum tweak ) that put them over the top for the Title. Their putting a GUARD member onto the podium with the DM for a VISUAL change was what got them those few extra precious tenths they needed.

And the Blue Devils are no dummies. In 2009, it was their creative VISUAL show and excellent use of their outstanding guard incorporated into the visual show that allowed them to win it all. As for BD's " contra base " ? Their contra base section hardly moved the entire show. ( but it didn't matter, did it ? )

Edited by BRASSO

If 20 tubas play in the woods and no one is there to listen ,......

They are drinking beer as usual. :worthy:

It's just another fad in drum corps. Now the largest drum lines have about 8 snares, 4 tenors, 5 bass drums and no cymbals with a 10 person pit, but, I remember, even with 26 or so fewer total members, seeing corps with 12 snares, 6 tenors, 8 bass, and 6 cymbals, 5 tympani, 3 keyboard (I think it was the Offensive Lions from Quebec, Canada back in the 70's or early 80's). Those days are over and I think that the days of 20 tubas (contras to the drumcorps cavemen like myself) are going to end quickly. :worthy:

Offensive Lions never marched 12 snares. They did march 8 bass drums in 1979, though.

Edited by DAvery

Offensive Lions never marched 12 snares. They did march 8 bass drums in 1979, though.

I may be wrong about the 12 snares, but, I am sure that some corps marched that many in the day. Snare lines of over 10 and bass drum lines of over 5 just are not seen today as they were in the past, but, maybe someone will just to start another thread. :worthy:

I may be wrong about the 12 snares, but, I am sure that some corps marched that many in the day. Snare lines of over 10 and bass drum lines of over 5 just are not seen today as they were in the past, but, maybe someone will just to start another thread. :worthy:

Not to hijack the threa on " brass line size ", but since it was asked, several senior Corps back in the heyday of DCA had more than 12 snares... ie NY Skyliners, Reilly Raiders Musketeers, Scout House, are just a few that have done so.