2010 Brass Lines

fifer

When I was cleaning 10-12 person lines, we ended up with 3-4 solid guys, 3-4 mediocre guys and 2-3 that were total crap. Using that logic, anyone who attempts 20 man tuba lines is in for a treat.

WOW! If you really think you had "total crap" people in your hornline, I assume your taking full responsibility for them being total crap since you were their instructor.

You guys act like it'll be impossible to clean 20 contras. You ever think it's to balance the hornline to better fit the music style. Rhapsody in Blue got some kicking bass lines.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 tubas is ridiculous. So is 84 horns.

Good luck cleaning all the #### out of the sound. Not to mention the #### in the feet. Tuba is a visually handicapped instrument anyway.

When I was cleaning 10-12 person lines, we ended up with 3-4 solid guys, 3-4 mediocre guys and 2-3 that were total crap. Using that logic, anyone who attempts 20 man tuba lines is in for a treat.

For me, bigger hornlines just mean more dirt. You're not gaining an significant volume.

64 was perfect for me.

Well.....Scouts are definitely familiar with strange numbers in sections of their corps. Back in 1996 Madison had 8 tenor players.......people asked the staff and Scott S. why....and the answer was "Because it looks cool....and the fans love it"

Really looking forward to seeing what this Madison hornline can do.........

Hopefully they will be one of the corps featured in the 2010 season pre-views during the DCI Countdown show in the movies....if they have it.

Hopefully they will be one of the corps featured in the 2010 season pre-views during the DCI Countdown show in the movies....if they have it.

They are having the countdown this year. It's supposed to be in May, I think.

Everyone stop drop and roll its 20 contras!!! I actually can't wait till I hear them this season!!!

I don't think the Scouts are one of the "chosen ones" for this year's countdown.

INT is marching 72 tubas.

And eleventy-million guard.

and their show this year is entitled "The Brown Note"

It's just another fad in drum corps. Now the largest drum lines have about 8 snares, 4 tenors, 5 bass drums and no cymbals with a 10 person pit, but, I remember, even with 26 or so fewer total members, seeing corps with 12 snares, 6 tenors, 8 bass, and 6 cymbals, 5 tympani, 3 keyboard (I think it was the Offensive Lions from Quebec, Canada back in the 70's or early 80's). Those days are over and I think that the days of 20 tubas (contras to the drumcorps cavemen like myself) are going to end quickly. :tongue:

It's just another fad in drum corps. Now the largest drum lines have about 9 snares, 5 tenors, 5 bass drums and no cymbals with a 10 person pit, but, I remember, even with 26 or so fewer total members, seeing corps with 12 snares, 6 tenors, 8 bass, and 6 cymbals, 5 tympani, 3 keyboard (I think it was the Offensive Lions from Quebec, Canada back in the 70's or early 80's). Those days are over and I think that the days of 20 tubas (contras to the drumcorps cavemen like myself) are going to end quickly. :tongue:

fixed