2009 Drum books

I have been listening to videos of mostly the top 6 corps drumline's from 09 and in my opinion I think it was one of the worst years for drum books. The Blue Devils kind of had a boring book, and so did Cavaliers. In my opinion crown and bluecoats had the best books in 09. Cadets kind of had a boring book and SCV well they couldnt do much because of their show. It might be the show the corp was doing and the music and not really allowing for a amazing book but I still think it could be more non-exercise like (BD). What are everyone's thoughts on this?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually thought there were several very interesting books last year.

like who?

I have been listening to videos of mostly the top 6 corps drumline's from 09 and in my opinion I think it was one of the worst years for drum books. The Blue Devils kind of had a boring book, and so did Cavaliers. In my opinion crown and bluecoats had the best books in 09. Cadets kind of had a boring book and SCV well they couldnt do much because of their show. It might be the show the corp was doing and the music and not really allowing for a amazing book but I still think it could be more non-exercise like (BD). What are everyone's thoughts on this?

I haven't seen all of the shows, but I disagree with you.

Crown's book was boring to me. So was the performance. Great brass, though.

I really enjoyed the top 7 other than that, though.

I agree here.

Lee Beddis' writing as of late is not that tasty. Just ramming notes unmusically for 11 minutes. It becomes very homogenized year to year. Also, halfway through the show, I swore they were just repeating drum parts from earlier.

Also, don't forget the pit! Drumline and pit books are written a lot of times to weave together very tightly, so if you concentrate on only the drums, you're missing out on half of the percussion music.

Phantom had an incredible book, and performed it better than any line performed theirs. Unfortunately DCI judging put them much lower than they should have been because of the corps overall placement.

Phantom had an incredible book, and performed it better than any line performed theirs. Unfortunately DCI judging put them much lower than they should have been because of the corps overall placement.

Their buzz roll books are consistently superior to EVARY1z. SUCH MUSICAL WRITING!!!! :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

wow. "buzz roll books" -maybe it's just me, but I thought they played more than just buzz rolls.

anyway, I think Phantom has the best book year after year. I also liked SCV's writing this year.

I appreciate Crown for all the notes they played, but I don't think it was musical (just an opinion...)

This year wasn't much different than any other year though, in my opinion.

Bluecoats writing was incredibly interesting, i thought.

And you are correct! They had an awesome line, as usual. :worthy: