The Olympics and DCI's Popularity

Apparently several rock bands were cut from the opening ceremony because of the luge death, they felt it would be disrespectful. The rumor is that all or most of those acts will bein the in the new... modified... closing ceremony.

Will it be anything like that bogus closing ceremony in Salt Lake City, where KISS was the headliner? Holy lack of pageantry, Batman - who was calling the shots on that one?

Fred O.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In addition to the other good points that have been made, I think another difference is that drum corps is more of an art form than it is a sport. Sure, it requires a lot of physical fitness, but the type of excitement is just different than in most Olympic events.

For example, in Figure Skating, we follow select skaters and some of them have a "star-like" quality. This just doesn't exist in drum corps, which (other than the occasional featured performer) is created so that no individuals stand out from the ensemble. Also, when the "favorite" has a bad day and falls all over the place, his/her placement can be drastically affected. In drum corps, even when a corps has an "off" night, it doesn't mean the difference between 1st and 8th place. Both of these elements diminish excitement levels.

Also, the sports in the Olympics are much higher risk...The speed at which luge travels is incredible and the potential for serious injury in downhill skiing events is extremely high. These sorts of "thrills" are just not apparent in even the most challenging of drum corps shows.

Don't get me wrong - I am extremely proud of drum corps and it would be a dream for the activity to reach the level of the Olympics. I just recognize some inherent differences that prevent popularity from soaring.

How about for 1 year DCI replace the field with an ice rink...?

Just imagine how quick the drill would be!

True....but direction changes would be a #####.

Anyway....anybody remember this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABh1v1W6iXk

Yep. I remember!

Yep. I remember!

So do I! And, of course, the Olympic Winter Games standard was set by the 27th Lancers at Lake Placid back in 1980! :worthy:

How about for 1 year DCI replace the field with an ice rink...?

Just imagine how quick the drill would be!

That would certainly redefine the meaning of "glide step."

Keep in mind also that it wouldn't be like Blue Devils and, say, Troopers would represent the US (well, maybe Troopers) - it would be an 'all-star' corps or 2, made up of members from a particular country. Sort of like the 'dream team' in Men's Basketball. Also - need to rethink age requirements. A better analogy than figure skating might be equestrian - no age or gender restrictions - just ability. Also equestrian got rid of ticks about the same time DCI did ( & it was controversial there too).

I as much as I love drum corps, we have to remember that drum corps has not really reached out to be a complete global acvtivity. Yes it is growing in some european countries but it has not yet become the thing where most countries would compete in.

But at the same time it is interesting to point out that in the Ancient Olympics, trumpet playing was an event.

So yes I do feel it has potential to maybe one day be an olympic event, but it will take some work of the drum corps community to branch out to more and more countries.

Edited by dbg

Don't get me wrong here - I'm not looking for DCI to be as popular as the Olympics. They're very different and it's not really for comparison's sake.

But we should be looking for innovative ways to expand our activity to more people. Part of that creative process is looking at success stories around you (ie, curling found its way onto NBC?!)...and seeing if you can apply others' success to your passion.

The answers to our problems aren't always spending more on marketing - sometimes they can be answered by other organizations :) There may be nothing to learn here, but DCI should be more open to change and new ideas!

Shoot, I wrote a musing in my doodle book back when I was marching that hypothesized a future in the activity where drum corps was included in the Olympics. Of course, since then, we've dropped over a hundred drum corps in the USA and have zero to negative growth Internationally as well.

I am convinced the problem is DCI. And to be fair, DCA, and pretty much any other organizing group or "power broker" in the current activity. There is NO reason that drum corps couldn't become an Olympic activity. Look at the draw among International auditionees all over--the same "bug" that each of us caught the first time we saw our first corps perform or rehearse (as was my case) is the same "bug" International auditionees caught as well.

But growing the activity means the same old three corps might have to eventually take 4th place instead of their customary every-three-years championship, ya know?

Nothing changes if nothing changes...think about it.