1986 Garfield

It's still a pretty amazing feat that Garfield 86 placed fourth with only 12 guard members!

Guard was a separate sheet from the 100 point scale (everything was before 2000). The Troopers had a pretty bad guard that year and scored 77 (out of 120). Garfield scored 76 to finish in 12th. To whomever blamed their placement on GE? They were third in Percussion and Brass GE (just behind BD/SCV). They were 5th in Visual GE. Their worst caption was visual perf/ensemble. They were only 0.1 behind Cavies, who were scored 1.3 below Garfield in drums. They got a late start (jeans through June), and the new visual team was in it way over their heads. Tony Hall was far more suited for Phantom. I think he wrote their 1993 masterpiece. (Incidentally, I'm no fan of Regiment... they just keep coming up!)

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i always kinda liked that show

For some reason I always liked that show as well.

Still has my favorite drill move......the folding rotating box (in the middle of the show..not the end) . Amazing seeing it live. The corps was spread out and in a matter of just a few counts (At a really high speed).....they were all in a tight form in the middle of the field.

Edited by Triple Forte

"On the Waterfront" is roughly 20 minutes of terrific music, and I wish the Cadets had brought it back. Now with the new "Bernstein rule" in effect, I doubt we'll hear it again. :rolleyes:

I'd actually like to hear some more Wonderful Town.

And I'd like to boycott the Bernstein Rule...

Not only was 84 horns pretty cool .... but live they were much louder than the recording. The opening mello solo was pretty sweet in prelims. That was the loudest small battery I've every heard ... and they were playing over their heads before it ever became popular just to be heard. The only letdown in the show for me was the closer. First 9 minutes was pure Garfield and I loved it.

In the pantheon of really good drumlines '86 Garfield does not get much respect. It's nice to see someone else have something positive to say about them. They were only .2 points in overall percussion from BD's monster line, and actually placed higher than BD in ensemble. Really good line despite the presence of Lee Rudnicki. :rolleyes: