Bobby Knight

I think the point of his comments was that if he had drum corps kids playing basketball for him he wouldn't HAVE to do these things.

I would agree with that.

Bob Knight's comments about drum corps were nothing but positive. If Hitler said "#### good discipline in that corps." I'd still treat it as a compliment.

I was in the corps when Hitler attended a Star of Indiana rehearsal. He seemed to thoroughly enjoy the hornline, but thought the show we did that season was a little obtuse.

Wait a minute. That might have been John Mellencamp.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone have a link to an article about John Hord?

My mom may still have an article from a local newspaper (I think). I'll find out and let you know. I remember her asking me a couple years ago if I or John may want it, but I don't know if she still has it.

By the way, in the '88 picture in my signature, that's Hord second from left. He's still a good friend of mine.

Edited by sday88

nm

Edited by BRASSO

Coach Knight brought his players to Star rehearsal and then the corps went and watched their practice a couple of times when I was at Star in 85 and 86. Coach also came to the staff meeting we had before tour every year at Cook Inc. and I had the pleasure to sit next to him. I have admired him since my father would talk about him at West Point and I guess I grew up a fan of the "old skool" coach back then.

I will always remember him being at a visual rehearsal and saying to myself and the other techs, "####! You're kicking the (expletive) out of these kids!" ... and we all looked at each other for a second and then busted out laughing.

Times change... coaching changes... kids change... He was a great coach in his time. I remember taking $20 from a priest when IU won (Thank you Steve Alford). My father thought that was funny, because I made the priest pay up.

Edited by njthundrrd

Coach Knight brought his players to Star rehearsal and then the corps went and watched their practice a couple of times when I was at Star in 85 and 86. Coach also came to the staff meeting we had before tour every year at Cook Inc. and I had the pleasure to sit next to him. I have admired him since my father would talk about him at West Point and I guess I grew up a fan of the "old skool" coach back then.

I will always remember him being at a visual rehearsal and saying to myself and the other techs, "####! You're kicking the (expletive) out of these kids!" ... and we all looked at each other for a second and then busted out laughing.

Times change... coaching changes... kids change... He was a great coach in his time. I remember taking $20 from a priest when IU won (Thank you Steve Alford). My father thought that was funny, because I made the priest pay up.

Unfortunately, we see the Knight method of teaching and coaching today ( intimidation, harrassment ,physical threats, actual assault, profanity laced, out of control, verbal outbursts, etc) All we need to do is pick up the paper, watch TV and we'll see all sorts of coaches at the youth, high school, college, pro levels that use these same tactics in their coaching style.

The Knight style has not died at all. Not by a long shot.

Edited by BRASSO

On a more serious note: I've always admired John Hord and the courage it had to have taken to march on a foot that was so badly injured. I always cringed when he unwrapped his foot, and it showed how torn up it was. I'm afraid I wouldn't have had that kind of strength and intestinal fortitude.

Scary thing is how he made it look so easy. Johnny One Toe is a bad muthah (shut yo mouth).