Which is better

OK, I will play nice in this question. I think that the usage of synths was good last year. I didn't want them and didn't like to see them voted in, but the usage was good overall. I think Teal did a great job and Spirit fought through a lot of bad publicity and did what they wanted. I give them alot of credit for that. The only true downfall I heard was all the fake horn parts being doubled. As if the fan is too stupid to tell. Why would a judge give a hornline any kind of good score with fake horns. Overall a well done useage all around with synths.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, ok. I'll try to answer the question.

A friend of mine said this about synth doubling the brass: I can't trust what I hear coming from the hornline when they synth is there. That's exactly how I felt about doubling when she said it, so I quote her when people ask me about it.

As far as sound effects: Off the top of my head I immediately think of the Blue Knights and Colts using synths for such things last year. I can easily say those effects were decent uses of electronics, but I will add this caveat: I find it FAR more effective and intellectually engaging when a corps designer finds a way to re-create sounds within the limitations of instruments at hand rather than using a sound patch for it.

One example I will use is the Troopers 2008 program (Iron Horse Express): snare brushes on two timpani used just the right way (and amplified) sounds quite a lot like a train coming into a station. Would it have been more effective with a synth? No. Even as a die-hard honk I would have been disappointed if that sound had been reproduced electronically. Sure, it's easier, but it's a crutch. I think it's much more impressive when designers come up with creative ways to enhance a show with colorful, appropriate sound-effect placement without relying on a crutch.

Similarly, when Blue Knights used the synth patch for wind sounds, my first thought was "this would have been so much cooler if they had found a way to do this with their instruments instead of the synth." I liked the show otherwise. A lot!

Another example: the opening to Blue Devil's 2009 show. Ok, I got the point, and I liked the rest of the show. But was the spoken word sampling necessary? I guess the designers thought so, but I sure didn't. I could have gotten the set-up just fine with their very cool percussion field entrance, the period-feel of the chairs, and I'm sure they could have come up with other ways to set that stage without needing the long preamble. But I will say that it was more entertaining than other uses of spoken word in the past.

For those who don't tend to listen to older shows, go listen to Suncoast Sound's Florida Suite (1985). I never had any doubt I heard a thunderstorm and wind and rain, and that was back in the dinosaur age when the pit wasn't amplified. :rolleyes: Similarly, the helicopter sounds from SCV's Miss Saigon show (1991) - CLASSIC! Fantastic sound effect! I bet there are hundreds of other examples from shows that people could list.

So, that's my 2 cents.

Edited by TerriTroop

you're right. fans paying a ton of money should just shut up and take it up the ###

:rolleyes:

LOL. As if we think we're going to change anything by posting on here. We're here to exchange ideas and opinions. If you don't like it, telling me to *get over it*, or basically shut up, kind of defeats the purpose of the exchange of ideas. Whatever.

I'd be in favor of judges use of electronics...... but only if done efficiently and tastefully.

But failing that, I could be in favor of electrocution.... but only if done swiftly.

Edited by BRASSO

Just wondering...

Would you prefer the electronics be used...

Like Spirit- Keyboards and Techno sounds of actual instruments of a rock show

Many other corps- Double on bass just to give the bottom end a little kick

or..

Like crown- rain/thunderstorm

Like SCV- Birds chirping....

Cadets/Bluestars- voices

As a politician that follows Drum Corps might say:

" I was against the use of electronics... before I was for it. "

Edited by BRASSO

I like it when all instruments are used tastefully... soooo...

LOL. As if we think we're going to change anything by posting on here. We're here to exchange ideas and opinions. If you don't like it, telling me to *get over it*, or basically shut up, kind of defeats the purpose of the exchange of ideas. Whatever.

agreed, they usually dont care what fans think. but telling people to get over it usually makes it worse on here.

agreed, they usually dont care what fans think. but telling people to get over it usually makes it worse on here.

"get over it" was implying that why beat a dead horse on DCP. Instead, talk about possibilities. This is not a thread to say you dont like elctronics....if you dont like electronics...get off the internet...go take a hike or something...without a camera... because electronics are a part of the SHOW now.

and dont pay a lot of money to go see it if you dont enjoy it....there are plenty of fans who like the new shows. DCP members make up a minority of drum corps fans..

Anyways.

to the TOPIC of the thread..

I felt like the storm and birds added a good feel to the program..

Edited by TheClutch

OK, I will play nice in this question. I think that the usage of synths was good last year. I didn't want them and didn't like to see them voted in, but the usage was good overall. I think Teal did a great job and Spirit fought through a lot of bad publicity and did what they wanted. I give them alot of credit for that. The only true downfall I heard was all the fake horn parts being doubled. As if the fan is too stupid to tell. Why would a judge give a hornline any kind of good score with fake horns. Overall a well done useage all around with synths.

Even a better question.... " how does one judge faux sounds in musical competitions ? And what, pray tell, is the training, experience, expertise, and qualifications that are required to properly compare, contrast faux musical sounds ?

I think I just might have impeccable faux sound expertise. It's up to date faux training and experience too. I think many others on here have great faux experience too re. faux musical sound too. It's probably a hidden talent they don't even know they possess. It's really an electronics talent. Like if you're good at switches, amps, wattage, voltage and fuse boxes vs. circuit breakers, and could ( say ) repair a home buglar alarm sound system.

Most DCI Brass and GE Music judges are usually very good with the the repair of (say) their home stereo sound systems, home burglar alarm sytems, etc and other electronic sound gadgets and stuff. So I'm pretty confident they should be able to compare, contrast and then score all these faux musical sounds they'll be hearing in the upcoming years in DCI.

Edited by BRASSO

"get over it" was implying that why beat a dead horse on DCP. Instead, talk about possibilities. This is not a thread to say you dont like elctronics....if you dont like electronics...get off the internet...go take a hike or something...without a camera... because electronics are a part of the SHOW now.

what if the possibilities make you wretch? And no disrespect, but paying customers ARE allowed to voice their dislikes. if you don't like reading them, maybe YOU should get off the internet...go take a hike or something...without a camera...

and dont pay a lot of money to go see it if you dont enjoy it....there are plenty of fans who like the new shows. DCP members make up a minority of drum corps fans..

true they are probably a minority. A very vocal, passionate, die hard group as well, who helped keep DCI alive in the 90s when it was at it's financial worst.