1975 Blue Devils

I remember them well from 74. You're right, winning W.O. in 75 was their 'coming out party'.

Why Jazz somebody asked? Carl Jefferson, the person running the Concord Jazz Label was a friend of Jerry Seawrights. The corps rehearsed at Larson's Music store across the street of Jeffersons Lincoln/Pontiac dealership in Concord.

Coincidence???

No, as Train Wreck well knows, that was no coincidence. The late Carl Jefferson was a major supporter of the Blue Devils. He was a prominent community mover and shaker who supplied the impetus behind the Concord Summer Jazz Festival, organized support for the building of the Concord Pavilion, and founded the Concord Jazz record label. It was he who arranged for the Blue Devils to open for Chuck Mangione, and he passed several of Chuck's LPs to Jerry with the suggestion that the corps adopt that style.

At the recommendations of Mr. Seawright and Shirley Stratton, Carl hired me in 1977 and gave me my first audio production experience oppurtunities. One evening I was standing in front of the Blue Devils hornline, the next it was Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers.

The BD jazz style was no accident. Rick Odello, Jim Ott and Wayne Downey began it and the rest of us just aimed to keep it swinging.

Edited by ironlips

No, as Train Wreck well knows, that was no coincidence. The late Carl Jefferson was a major supporter of the Blue Devils. He was a prominent community mover and shaker who supplied the impetus behind the Concord Summer Jazz Festival, organized support for the building of the Concord Pavilion, and founded the Concord Jazz record label. It was he who arranged for the Blue Devils to open for Chuck Mangione, and he passed several of Chuck's LPs to Jerry with the suggestion that the corps adopt that style.

At the recommendations of Mr. Seawright and Shirley Stratton, Carl hired me in 1977 and gave me my first audio production experience oppurtunities. One evening I was standing in front of the Blue Devils hornline, the next it was Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers.

The BD jazz style was no accident. Rick Odello, Jim Ott and Wayne Downey began it and the rest of us just aimed to keep it swinging.

.... and so how did that whole jazz / audio production / Shirley Stratton 'thing' work out for you? :tongue:

It led directly (ok, by a somewhat circuitous route) to "Off the Record" on Drum Corps Planet.

To return to the actual topic, the Blue Devils are back in the Stan Kenton vaults this year. So, as in the lyric of Peter Allen and Carole Bayer Sager, "Everything Old is New Again", and this is not a bad thing for drum corps.

It led directly (ok, by a somewhat circuitous route) to "Off the Record" on Drum Corps Planet.

To return to the actual topic, the Blue Devils are back in the Stan Kenton vaults this year. So, as in the lyric of Peter Allen and Carole Bayer Sager, "Everything Old is New Again", and this is not a bad thing for drum corps.

Indeed! Seems there's been fewer and fewer corps and bands doing jazz over the last sevreal years with a couple of notable exceptions. A HS Band in the NE did a show sarcastically titled "You Can't Win With Jazz" to drive home the point that there were a lot of people out there who seemed to lack an appreciation for well-arranged and performed Jazz music on the field. Their director intimated to me I was one of the few people that supported and encouraged them with what they were doing, which really made me feel like a lone voice in the wilderness out this way. It certainly wouldn't hurt the activity at large to have BD back as a Champion of Jazz music on the field at all.

A far cry from the era when everyone was copying the Blue Devils' Uniforms and buying up the "State of the Art" arrangements.... but that's another story- :tongue:

• 2 years later...

Now I'm a curious soul, and was wondering what made such a dramatic difference to BD's overall performance from 1974 to 1975.

I hear two distinctly different animals when I listen to the recordings. Did they just get good or were there other factors involved?

Jim Ott and Wayne Downey were both horn instructors and Jim Ott was the arranger of the music.