Then probably the drum was an old one that was kept for some reason. Far as I know all the items in the reunion pics (there are more in the album) came from Larry Hershmans place. The 1978 American Legion flag (next pic) got the place of honor but everything else was spread around on some tables at the fron of the hall where the reunion was held. The 1952 VFW trophy is in one of the pics too, IIRC that sucker was about 3 feet high.
I have it from fairly good sources that all of the Westshore memorabilia will be on display at this years Serenade In Brass. Where I'm really not sure yet.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone should have gotten Hershman to "travel" the trophy back to 1979 or 1980 AL Championships as the pic was taken in 1983 at a corps reunion. :lookaround: No idea if the snare is the high drum award but Hershman had to wrap the cup in with his laundry on the bus ride home. We go tback to the buses and it wa s"How in the #### are we going to protect this thing now that we won it".

Edit: Travel the cup back to Boston in 1980 as 1979 was in Hawaii IIRC.

And wasn't 1980 the last corps contest at a Legion convention?

Yes it was...

Donnie... did we take high drums both 65 and 72? We DEFINITELY got the gold drum as well as the seagram's trophy... both years.... I'm thinking the winner got the cup, the drum and the orange flag... but not sure...

one thing I am sure of... every time I saw a champion at legion nationals they had the gold drum... it's illogical to assume they won drums every time...

Tom

yup we took high drums in 65,66 & 72. because we tied in 66 with hurcs for high drums collin let genero have the trophy. somehow we need to clarify what the gold drum meant. hopefully john will go to the post and be able to find out.

Yes it was...

only thing is it was an invitational. i never concidered any legion show a true nationals when it was an invitational. just my opinion.

only thing is it was an invitational. i never concidered any legion show a true nationals when it was an invitational. just my opinion.

Are you saying the 1980 Baaaah-ston was an invitational show and not an open?

Have no idea.... just wondering.....

Are you saying the 1980 Baaaah-ston was an invitational show and not an open?

Have no idea.... just wondering.....

that's what i'm saying. it was in combination with DCA.DCA RULES & JUGES. it was a regional contest. no prelims. although there was a parade.

that's what i'm saying. it was in combination with DCA.DCA RULES & JUGES. it was a regional contest. no prelims. although there was a parade.

Thanks, except for being regional sounds like 1978 at New Orleans but guessing it was DCA style judging as our score and Chicago Connections was about the same as the DCA shows that year. Know Joe Morella(sp) was one of the drum judges as he rode to the SuperDome on our buses. LOL, he was telling the drummers he was going to give them cues on volume while he was judging. Just remember hearing "Unless you fall apart you're going to win, so might as well give the people a good show". :lookaround:

Not to hijack the thread anymore... ahhh what the Hell..... anyone know when AL stopped using their own judges?

Edit: One of the memorialible bits was the night (thank goodness) parade. Passed a bank at 10PM and it was 80 degrees..... :blink:

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Thanks, except for being regional sounds like 1978 at New Orleans but guessing it was DCA style judging as our score and Chicago Connections was about the same as the DCA shows that year. Know Joe Morella(sp) was one of the drum judges as he rode to the SuperDome on our buses. LOL, he was telling the drummers he was going to give them cues on volume while he was judging. Just remember hearing "Unless you fall apart you're going to win, so might as well give the people a good show". :lookaround:

Not to hijack the thread anymore... ahhh what the Hell..... anyone know when AL stopped using their own judges?

Edit: One of the memorialible bits was the night (thank goodness) parade. Passed a bank at 10PM and it was 80 degrees..... :blink:

i might be wrong but i believe in 1975 was the last year they used A.L. judges. i know joe morella and that sounds like him. did he tell you guys his speech on all the top corps and drumlines he had and how great he is. he started that with us in 76 and i just walked away. i mean really who cares. it's what are you going to do for me. but he made some good changes to the drumline.

i might be wrong but i believe in 1975 was the last year they used A.L. judges. i know joe morella and that sounds like him. did he tell you guys his speech on all the top corps and drumlines he had and how great he is. he started that with us in 76 and i just walked away. i mean really who cares. it's what are you going to do for me. but he made some good changes to the drumline.

LOL, IIRC he was standing in the aisle of the bus (least he didn't get a seat) and I was sitting near where he was standing. One of those overheard things. Can't remember who exactly he was talking to but probably some of the former Yankee Rebel drummers who knew him. Come to think of it he might have been visiting John Flowers who (I think) was our drum instructor that year. Heavens knows the MOTEL we stayed out wasn't near anything except the swamp. Only reason I can think of why Morella was even out our way.

Edit: When the corps decided to go to New Orleans, some members flew, mainly because they never flew before. So we ended up taking two buses instead of three. Only times we ran into problems was when the whole corps had to go somewhere. LOL, hope Joe M enjoyed being shoe horned into the aisle. :lookaround:

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

LOL, IIRC he was standing in the aisle of the bus (least he didn't get a seat) and I was sitting near where he was standing. One of those overheard things. Can't remember who exactly he was talking to but probably some of the former Yankee Rebel drummers who knew him. Come to think of it he might have been visiting John Flowers who (I think) was our drum instructor that year. Heavens knows the MOTEL we stayed out wasn't near anything except the swamp. Only reason I can think of why Morella was even out our way.

Edit: When the corps decided to go to New Orleans, some members flew, mainly because they never flew before. So we ended up taking two buses instead of three. Only times we ran into problems was when the whole corps had to go somewhere. LOL, hope Joe M enjoyed being shoe horned into the aisle. :lookaround:

that's funny! the great joe morella standing in the isle. all kidding aside he was a great instructor. i learned a lot from him. and he had great success everywhere he went.