Major problems with later schedule

My son (and several others who march various corps here) were threatened with the loss of their band-based scholarships because they will miss all of the university's band camp. He gets back on Sunday and classes start immediately, and he's certainly not the only one. I'm glad that the DCI gods can wave a major wand and do whatever they want, but there are (from what I have been told by the director) several university band directors who are extremely upset and who are saying if it continues they will make members choose between the two activities. I'm not sure who the extra late week benefits, but it certainly can't be a majority of the kids. Can anyone explain this to me?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel your pain, Dan, but I think the fault lies more with school schedules that have started progressively earlier through the years. The three years I marched, finals were on August 18 or August 19, and I don't remember anyone having conflicts with school schedules. In fact, since DCI started, finals have been held on a date later than this year's on 26 occasions, including 1981, when finals were on August 22.

Its the second saturday in August, thats how its been for a while now I think.

My high school tried to do something like that. The main difference is that instead of money, they threatened to not allow me to be on the leadership team. That didn't last long though.

Honestly, I don't see it as such an issue to miss, what, one week of band camp? Sure, starting school immediately kind of sucks, but there's an easy fix for that. Go to a different school :blink: (I'm kidding, just in case the smiley didn't say that)

But really, I hope that your son keeps his scholarship. I find it to be a rather mundane situation for such a serious consequence. :blink: Good luck.

Edit: I agree with oldsoprano's sentiments.

Edited by BlooContraGuy

I can understand the university's stand. It's just like a job, if you can start when you're needed they'll hire someone else.

Don't just post here, send a letter to DCI and express your concerns. Obviously it won't do anything this year but it may change policies in the future. Unless DCI has the schedule set in stone for LOS, which is very likely. Then you have to choose.

DCI finals used to be on the 3rd saturday in August, then they were moved earlier to the 2nd saturday in August. In 2004 finals were the 1st saturday in august due to a conflict with the stadium, but they were originally intended for the 2nd saturday that year). So I don't know what you're saying about DCI causing a problem when they have moved their finals to an earlier date then it was in the 80's and early 90's.

But if the school is giving out dollars, I think that they are entitled to expect that the person actually show up.

Having marched 5 years of drum corps prior to joining my college band, and assuming my college band experience was average (a large Big East school) for most kids in DCI, I can confidently say that band camp was a waste of time. Regardless of its necessity, it is overall a small percentage of what he will do for the marching band, and he would be missing to do something essentially the same (only much more difficult). There are at least 2.5 - 3 more months of the season, possibly more with bowl games. Also, the alumni, fans, and administration that provide the money and determine its recipients couldn't give two ##### about band camp. They want to see the band play at pre-game, halftime, and after their school scores a touch down; so really, they just want to hear the band play loud crap all the time.

I had to miss 3-4 days of band camp and everyone in the band treated it like the end of the world, but fortunately, nobody had their panties in such a twist that my scholarship was threatened. I've also found that if you even start to make a stink about it, they'll drop the issue almost immediately. Colleges don't like to look bad. Talk to the band director or the person in charge of dispersing the money to its recipients.

You're mad at DCI for not arranging their schedule around a few members who have band camp issues? Seriously?

p.s. these issues have been around since my marching days (early 80s). That's why DCI has shortened its season to 7-8 weeks. Band directors keep scheduling their camps earlier and earlier. Kids have always been put in the position of choosing between corps and band. That's nothing new. It's the band directors' fault as much as DCI.

BTW, maybe you should look into whether your kid's band director gets paid more for extending their season.

Edited by vferrera

DCI is aware of this issue. School schedules are part of the problem, but not an excuse. It's a long term issue that will have to be dealt with. Many corps will have reduced instructional staffs during finals week - the worst possible time - because these staff members are obligated to teach at the camps the members will be missing!