Audience Comments!

There is no need for any of us to turn the current thread topic on bad behavior in DCI today into a " band " vs. " Drum and Bugle Corps". I know you " get it " mike. And the older Drum Corps need no defense from me either. As you're probably aware, the benefits they provided inner city kids in many cases were.... with no hyperbole.... life saving in many instances. In large measure they saved literally thousands of inner city youth from MORE fights and MORE trouble by virtue of bringing that youth off the troubled and dangerous streets and into the participation in Drum and Bugle Corps. Drum and Bugle Corps literally saved lives. The inner city of today could beneft from DCI units. However, although not entirely DCI's fault, as far as similar Corps providing such service to youth today in inner cities today, it has disappeared almost entirely. There is virtually no visibilty in the inner cities of America today by DCI units. And as for friction between Corps, Corps today reside hundreds and thousands of miles away from one another, not around the next city block as they did in earlier eras. So naturally with more close proximity, there would be more potential for intense rivalries...... and with intense rivalries ( in all sports ) sometimes better heads don't always prevail, especially when dealing with youth who through no fault of their own were subjected to enormously difficult and challenging circumstances in both their neigborhoods and in their personal lives.

And THAT is my biggest beef with the direction DCI took. While I appreciate the major artistic accomplishments and the physical training of todays "select few", I wince at the thought of the hundrends of thousands of kids who were left by the side of the road, ( or thrown under the bus). Was it / is it, worth leaving all those kids behind for the sake of pushing the talent level as far as it could be ? To me, thats "THE" tarnish we must live with and I feel that far outweighs booing Hopkins. For the record, I don't cut any kid from my program no what their talent level. Some of the biggest impacts we can make as teachers are on the kids who are LD. ( not to mention the screwed up kids that remind me of myself )

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why doesn't someone start from scratch... and not try to create a world class drum corps. Let's actually get the kids off the streets again. Or just out from behind the computer screen and get the game controllers out of their hands. Why can't there be both? Sure it takes some money that some people will be willing to donate.. but it is for a very important cause.

but now I'm veering OT.

I hate sitting next to people who critique the show out loud as it goes along. YEah... I'm doing the same thing.. it's what I do... but I can still enjoy the show. But I can tell that these people are ruining it for the people around them.

I also hate at small stadiums when you can actually hear the judges int he box (I find this problem a lot more often with marching band shows, lol).

Why doesn't someone start from scratch... and not try to create a world class drum corps. Let's actually get the kids off the streets again. Or just out from behind the computer screen and get the game controllers out of their hands. Why can't there be both? Sure it takes some money that some people will be willing to donate.. but it is for a very important cause.

Actually, The Greater New Orleans Drum Corps Association is doing just that. No field shows but parades and stand still performances.

I also have quite a few of my students that want to tour this summer but the $2500 range for most of them is just too much considering both parents work to send them to private school.

It would be much easier if there were a seperate retro style corps division that new coprps could enter into and go by style and equipment of say...1980 or so to give groups like this a few years of judged exibition with limited equipment and travel. That type of show could be done without robbing a bank to get started

Yeah it would be nice to actually have a real separate division... kind of like the minor leagues? Like for real... not this open class stuff, where everyone wants to be world class.

The local cheap option is GONE in DCI. Surf was charging more than some world class corps when they weren't doing full tour yet... hell don't think they are still doing full tour... and I believe it is more expensive than many world class corps...

do we need to start a new thread?

Said during Cavaliers 2006 Machine show.

" He's right there... Next to the fat robot"

I hate sitting next to people who critique the show out loud as it goes along. YEah... I'm doing the same thing.. it's what I do... but I can still enjoy the show. But I can tell that these people are ruining it for the people around them.

One of the PBS broadcasts in the 80s the announcers did that. Wasn't the live broadcast and no idea if they didn't know the mic was open but.... :smile: Sounded like the PDQ Bach routine where they did Beethovan 5th with running commentary.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Yeah it would be nice to actually have a real separate division... kind of like the minor leagues? Like for real... not this open class stuff, where everyone wants to be world class.

The local cheap option is GONE in DCI. Surf was charging more than some world class corps when they weren't doing full tour yet... hell don't think they are still doing full tour... and I believe it is more expensive than many world class corps...

do we need to start a new thread?

I've been wondering about this myself. (both the idea, and the new thread. Let's start one! I'll go first.)

This was not at a show but at a rehearsal. Me and a few friends on semi-finals? day 2009 went to watch the cavaliers practice at some high school. On our way to the field some construction worker or something like that on street asked us "what high school band is that?" We all just got a weird look on our faces, looked around at each other (you could tell we were trying to figure out who was going to tell him who it really was) and someone finally said it was the cavaliers drum and bugle corps. The guy got a weird look on his face and said "huh"... just another person missing out on drum corps.