Inner city drum corps

In other words, instead of a lot of independent start ups, what about a "Big Brothers and Sisters" kind of approach? Create an over-arching organization - or work within an existing one? Hmmm.... my wheels are turning... (but where will I find the time... ugh!)

There is an inner city American Legion Post in Harrisburg that sponsors a youth drum line that I usually see in the city St Patricks Day parade. Post was started as an all black Post and has/had other groups for inner city youth to join. Maybe connect with something like this who has the organization in place and try to work for a new option of drum corps.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is an inner city American Legion Post in Harrisburg that sponsors a youth drum line that I usually see in the city St Patricks Day parade. Post was started as an all black Post and has/had other groups for inner city youth to join. Maybe connect with something like this who has the organization in place and try to work for a new option of drum corps.

Almost sounds like the "old'n" days

Downtown:

Like Larry said, we are looking at helping a youth Drum Line going in Kansas City Kansas. We'd also give them the opportunity to March with Prairie Sound Drum & Bugle Corps in Local Parades and Possibly a Road Trip. This Could eventually spin off into a Junior Corps. We would be offering our Non-profit umbrella and the use of our equipment for a time to help get them going.

I don't know if the youth being considered for the Drum Line are troubled youth or not. I'm thinking these 1st kids may be drummers that have already benn playing for a while. It would still be a good way to attract other youth who don't yet play drums.

A Horn Line could be formed as well.

Suburbia:

We have proposed to the Johnson County Parks and Recreation Department the possibility of offering the opportunity for people of All Ages to play in a Brass Ensemble, a Full Horn Line or Drum Line. We would hold Several Sessions and work up to performing at a County event or Parade. We could hold a Spring Session and end with a Parade and a Fall Session and end with a Parade or the Salvation Army Kettle Drive. We can tailor the classes for any age group or have it mixed all ages which gives us a lot of flexibility. The Parks and Recs Dapartment likes the idea.

We would of course offer the the participants the opportunity to perform with Prairie Sound at more events/shows/parades etc.

They liked the idea.

We need to expand our pool of available players in order to field our All Age Corps and these activities is seen as one way to help ourselves in that reguard.

I'd encourage other Corps to do similiar things inorder to expand the Drum Corps Activity in their area.

That's the thing though: a lot of us get that initial "yeah, this is important! Let's do it!" feeling, but then something gets in our way. What would it take to create a skeleton organizational model that people could put into place in various communities? I'm thinking things like bylaws, nonprofit status, etc.

In other words, instead of a lot of independent start ups, what about a "Big Brothers and Sisters" kind of approach? Create an over-arching organization - or work within an existing one? Hmmm.... my wheels are turning... (but where will I find the time... ugh!)

Im not a college man but it doesnt take long for me to say that this is an excellent idea, but lawsuits and damage/stolen horns would stand in the way more than anything.

though if you do it, wouldnt it be thesable to buy from a drum corps used lines, cause I mean it would seem alot cooler to some to have top of the line instruments knowing that we "care" and knowing we didnt pay alot for. Plus, it would be wise to have some really experienced brass instructor look at their chops/embochure and advise this horn or that to best benefit them but still have them make the final selection. That's my view, but lawsuits and damage/stolen horns are a big concern to me financially ya know? that's more of the scary financial part. Because if its inner city you want to help them, but if they damage or steal your horn then they dont have the money to replace it.

The great Nathaniel Lewis (from SoCal Dream Sr Corps) has been doing it over 10 years in South Central L.A. I marched with these guys in SCoPE in SoCal. A few of them went on to march in SCV in 99 and 02 respectively.

http://www.city-sound.org/about_us.html

http://www.facebook.com/pages/City-Sound-D...ps/178986248110

"...City Sound’s goal is to make available performing arts opportunities to young adult, to steer them away from street violence, to provide them with an excellent performing arts education, and to provide a place of refugee from the everyday problems that young adults face."

DCA, Open Class, and then just high school band are great ways for people to get into the activity on a smaller scale..

Some of the kids we're aiming at can't afford an Open Class corps, nor a competitive DCA corps. The high school band programs may not offer any exposure to drum corps at all--and even if it does, the cost still keeps it out of reach.

That's why we're discussing ways to offer those kids a chance to do drum corps locally, without it costing them much of anything. Why? Because everybody should be able to experience drum corps if they're interested. Everybody should have opportunities to participate in music and possibly excel, despite a background lacking resources.

That such efforts also increase the visibility of drum corps and can lead to opportunities for everybody else is a bonus. If we can get a small metro circuit established for drumlines, then we can also provide more show opportunities for drumlines nearby. If we can expand that to include horn lines, then we can end up with a mini-corps circuit in our area that can then expand into offering all-ages groups more performing opportunities. And that can build an audience for full-blown drum corps shows on a more regular basis and provide shows for the DCA corps to the north and south of us in the central region to participate in as part of building the region. We can also leverage that to tie in more shows for DCI Open Class corps (and we're trying to get a show put together this year that includes DCI Open Class and DCA/SDCA corps).

The short form of that: we can add a good deal to the drum corps community by working to include more people.

DCA, Open Class, and then just high school band are great ways for people to get into the activity on a smaller scale..

My particular plan is more about using the inherent "cool factor" of a drum line to bring in students that would otherwise never participate in something akin to the things you listed above. Once that gets going, then there is potential for expansion into bigger musical realms with brass and guard, IMO.

Some of the kids we're aiming at can't afford an Open Class corps, nor a competitive DCA corps. The high school band programs may not offer any exposure to drum corps at all--and even if it does, the cost still keeps it out of reach.

That's why we're discussing ways to offer those kids a chance to do drum corps locally, without it costing them much of anything. Why? Because everybody should be able to experience drum corps if they're interested. Everybody should have opportunities to participate in music and possibly excel, despite a background lacking resources.

That such efforts also increase the visibility of drum corps and can lead to opportunities for everybody else is a bonus. If we can get a small metro circuit established for drumlines, then we can also provide more show opportunities for drumlines nearby. If we can expand that to include horn lines, then we can end up with a mini-corps circuit in our area that can then expand into offering all-ages groups more performing opportunities. And that can build an audience for full-blown drum corps shows on a more regular basis and provide shows for the DCA corps to the north and south of us in the central region to participate in as part of building the region. We can also leverage that to tie in more shows for DCI Open Class corps (and we're trying to get a show put together this year that includes DCI Open Class and DCA/SDCA corps).

The short form of that: we can add a good deal to the drum corps community by working to include more people.

So, let's form a national association and get started! :tongue: