Woodwinds In the Rain

Can we just...stop talking about woodwins? For a subject everyone hates so much we sure do seem to discuss it a lot here.

Maybe everyone will forgot about them if we just dont mention them!

or, alternatively, simply use your fingers and keyboard to scroll by any thread with a subject matter that you seem to hate and makes you upset, and allow others to discuss that thread topic. That should work well for eveybody it would seem to me.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe everyone will forgot about them if we just dont mention them!

:smile:

Mention what???

Woodwinds and moisture coming together every day throughout a summer are very bad for woodwinds, and it would cost at least $200 per year per horn to maintain them.

But water and woodwinds are downright disasterous together. Just 1 downpour can cost at least $150 of materials and labor per horn.

The solution is simple. Every corps rehearses in a dome. :smile:

Hop was directly quoted in the most recent edition of Drum Corps World that he would be proposing woodwinds, possibly as soon as next year. Perhaps that is the real reason that we've seen major regionals (San Antonio, Atlanta) and our championships moved indoors...but consider that even without woodwinds, corps would have problems with any rain because of the electronics that all corps now use. A couple of years ago in Beverly, MA some of the corps were judged and some only performed in exhibition because of rain part way through the contest. IMO, the rain wasn't heavy enough that the non-judged corps couldn't have competed-except that they couldn't use their amps. IIRC, the first corps that did exhibition only-and it wasn't their full show-were none other than the Cadets. I believe that was the first year amps were allowed, but I could be wrong on that. I guess we'll never see a repeat of Madison '93!

I think "Woodwinds in the Rain" is a very poetic title.

I also think that if DCI legalizes woodwinds, the weather problem will be dealt with. I also think that all these threads and posts with the unspoken assumption that woodwinds in drum corps is just around the corner are a bit premature.

Those are my thoughts.

Many of us were saying the same thing before the a&e proposals passed.

I also think that all these threads and posts with the unspoken assumption that woodwinds in drum corps is just around the corner are a bit premature.

Yeah, I mean it's not like you can use woodwinds in I&E, or that some corps will use them for the first 6 minutes of their field time this year or anything...

or, alternatively, simply use your fingers and keyboard to scroll by any thread with a subject matter that you seem to hate and makes you upset, and allow others to discuss that thread topic. That should work well for eveybody it would seem to me.

To tell the truth, woodwinds do not bother me all that much, I certainly dont hate the subject myself. Its a little ironic to me though that everyone seems to talk about them so often considering how frowned upon they are.

you don't have to be a jerk