Is DCI losing its diversity?

This is kind of born out of the "What Fan base" should DCI appeal to thread, but it is a topic I was just discussing with a friend this weekend. I think this topic is on a lot of people's minds these days especially with the economy the way it is.

I know a talented individual who made a top 5 corps and had to drop out because he ultimately could not come up with the money. This got me to thinking about how exclusionary this was and how dangerous this could be to the activity with the costs of marching going higher and higher each year. Then it got me started thinking about how shocked I was when I read a certain corps membership agreement just a few years back. It is like an employee handbook now that had sections on weight, appearance, and even body fat percentages.

Maybe I live in Utopia but it doesn't seem that long ago that if you could make the corps and physically do the show no one ever brought up weight, height or body type. Also if you could not pay your dues the corps would work with you, especially if you were from out of town, and dirt poor. This allowed more kids to chase the dream of marching in the corps they always dreamed of being in.

So I wonder are corps becoming the sport of the upper middle class and in doing so homogenizing the activity? Do you agree that corps are filtering kids by body types, and do you think that is right or wrong? Do top 12 corps find creative ways to help kids who really want to march pay down their dues and remain, or do they use this to filter potential applicants?

So the perception is that DCI is becoming more exclusionary through economics and physical requirements. Help me see what the reality is.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I know which corps your talkin about.

I know someone that got cut by an elite corps because he was "too fat." He is an amazing player (in fact a soloist in a corps last year).

I know some corps have cut very talented people just because they are a little short on money.

I know plenty of corps who go the opposite way, it doesn't matter what you look like, if you can play and march well, they'll find a way to get you.

Most OC corps, as far as I know, help their members with either finding sponsorships or working out payment plans.

Troop does as well, we got a big ol' packet showing us how to fundraise and how we can be helped in terms of money. (Reason number 10,085 I love the Troopers.) I have heard of a lot of corps helping people if they need it and can march. I've heard of BK doing it, and Spirit along with a few others I can't name off the top of my head. Anyone else have examples?

I find it kind of unfortunate that some corps have an "elitest" mindset. To each their own I suppose.

I know a talented individual who made a top 5 corps and had to drop out because he ultimately could not come up with the money. This got me to thinking about how exclusionary this was and how dangerous this could be to the activity with the costs of marching going higher and higher each year. Then it got me started thinking about how shocked I was when I read a certain corps membership agreement just a few years back. It is like an employee handbook now that had sections on weight, appearance, and even body fat percentages.

Lol, being cut because you're too fat is absolutely absurd. Actually, all of the big guys I knew that marched didn't have anymore problems finishing the show than everyone else. I bet it's more of an image thing to the corps, which is pretty upsetting for a youth organization.

i have a friend who is fat as hell but not only got a contract at the first audition camp, but was told that he was head and shoulders above the rest in playing AND marching. granted, they told him he needs to lose weight but they didn't mind too much. and btw it was a top 12 corps that has a pretty large fan base here on DCP.

Lol, being cut because you're too fat is absolutely absurd. Actually, all of the big guys I knew that marched didn't have anymore problems finishing the show than everyone else. I bet it's more of an image thing to the corps, which is pretty upsetting for a youth organization.

I don't think its an image thing so much as an injury prevention measure. There are lots of benefits to weight loss but reducing stress on the lower body machinery is a big one.

Edited by corpsband

This is kind of born out of the "What Fan base" should DCI appeal to thread, but it is a topic I was just discussing with a friend this weekend. I think this topic is on a lot of people's minds these days especially with the economy the way it is.

Maybe I live in Utopia but it doesn't seem that long ago that if you could make the corps and physically do the show no one ever brought up weight, height or body type. Also if you could not pay your dues the corps would work with you, especially if you were from out of town, and dirt poor. This allowed more kids to chase the dream of marching in the corps they always dreamed of being in.

So I wonder are corps becoming the sport of the upper middle class and in doing so homogenizing the activity? Do you agree that corps are filtering kids by body types, and do you think that is right or wrong? Do top 12 corps find creative ways to help kids who really want to march pay down their dues and remain, or do they use this to filter potential applicants?

So the perception is that DCI is becoming more exclusionary through economics and physical requirements. Help me see what the reality is.

As I get ready to look at corps to march for along with college, I want and know I have the ability for some world class corps, and want to go on a full season tour, but it looks so expensive to me, its actually kinda far reaching with the economy, trying to find a job to help finance that and college, to me I understand why it costs that, but it is so terribly high, I think its mainly because of the gas... arabs makin that tuition go up..... and who, which corps is this? I mean im thin and all, is it the cavies?

why should they care if you can't pay the money when they can just take the next person who can?

drum corps provides a service to the marchers. Can't buy the service at market price? Someone else will.

Hence the world we live in

why should they care if you can't pay the money when they can just take the next person who can?

drum corps provides a service to the marchers. Can't buy the service at market price? Someone else will.

Yeah, I agree with this, but it doesn't make it right.

It's just frustrating to think that corps in the old days were able to take you off the street, put a horn in your hand, and expected you to work hard enough to perform with the rest of the group... for free! The service that the corps provides then and now is to build self-discipline, respect, the opportunity to do something great for an audience... but when funding sources change, priorities and how money is generated has to change too.