What do YOU want DCI corps to play?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

re Krull: Never heard that before...but I'm almost sorry to say that the opening minute really only works if you've got those flute flourishes...

Now which corps have sopranos good enough to do that?

Yeah, I'm thinking of that corps, too...

I've said it time and again. "The Will Rogers follies" would be GREAT!!! Strangely enough I think Troopers would be perfect as far as their look and new "old meets new" style. I used to think Scouts would be great for this material, however, I don't think their guard could properly pull off the 'showgirl' costumes that really make this show. the Cadets, on the other hand, could do an absolutely fantastic job with this show, especially the 'show stopper' type numbers (i.e. 'Favorite Son with the tambourine hats, etc.). Check it out if you never have. Opener alone is worth a listen.

Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass

YES!

I would like to hear Finlandia by Sibelius, according to corpsreps, it hasn't been done since 1985.

Vaclav Nelhybel --"Antiphonale for Brass Sextet and Band"

I was reminded tonight about a piano concerto - by Prokofiev - the 3rd - and how 25 years ago I thought this work (especially the 3rd movement) would make a fabulous show, or addition there to...

I was reminded because of the 2nd movement of the Shostakovich 2nd piano concerto - which in the finale is so like the 3rd of Prokofiev...though the two Soviet composers did not really get along...it's quite obvious that Shostakovich was honoring his elder in this sparkling concerto written for his son Maxim (who is now one HELL of an interpreter of his father's symphonies...for what it's worth...)

AND - since I'm thinking of Shostakovich - I have to post this clip from Youtube of the Simon Bolivar Youth Orchestra - you WILL BE BLOWN AWAY - it's from their Royal Albert Hall performance of the Shosty 10th symphony in 2007 - oh yes, and their conductor is now the music director of the LA Phil...with only THIS youth orchestra on his resume prior to his appointment...

And, and yes - THIS (or as they say on DCP: THIS) would be a GREAT work for drum corps. Shostakovich was personally tormented by Stalin - and on the death of Stalin in 1953 (ironically on exactly the same day the aforementioned Prokofiev died...), Shostakovich felt a great weight lift from his soul - and shortly thereafter composed this symphony. This movement - the very short scherzo (mvt. 2) depicts the relentlessness of the Soviet society/system/thought police in their pursuit of the human mind and it's yearning for free thought...or something like that.

And to complete the drum corps relevance: this orchestra is made up largely of street kids - inner city types whose only other options were drug dealing, crime, poverty, and despair. Duademel (the conductor and inspiration for the orchestra) inspires them to dream big - and not for a job or something material...for the MUSIC. Check out this review:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertai...don-462434.html

anyway - back to drum corps. This country would produce some killer horn lines...no doubt -

re Krull: Never heard that before...but I'm almost sorry to say that the opening minute really only works if you've got those flute flourishes...

Now which corps have sopranos good enough to do that?

Yeah, I'm thinking of that corps, too...

Yeah, it would be tough for sops. There's a nice mello soli in there too that only a top line could handle.