The Roof Will Be Open

A couple of them (Surf and Teal to name a couple) don't have full voting status yet.

Incorrect. Surf does, Teal doesn't.

The reason that only 20 voted is because a few weren't present for the meeting.

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of them (Surf and Teal to name a couple) don't have full voting status yet.

I figured that....but why? They've been touring for years, and just passed the most rigorous evaluations DCI has ever performed. Why would they not deserve full voting rights?

This whole spin of the roof-opening "story" is hilarious. The fact = LOS is a HORRIBLE venue for drum corps and it was a TERRIBLE decision to sign a long-term contract for a venue that hadn't even opened yet.

With some risks in life, there is a reward. With this one, there is:

EPIC FAIL

If there's even 1% chance of rain, stadium management won't open the roof because they didn't want to spend the money to put drainage on the field to begin with. That's why the Indy "Dolts" and Peyton "Minus-1 Chromosome" Manning call it their mecca...

Incorrect. Surf does, Teal doesn't.

The reason that only 20 voted is because a few weren't present for the meeting.

Didn't realize. Mea culpa.

I've talked to people who went to an open roof Colts game on a day with temperatures in the 85-90 degrees range, and they say it's hot but bearable. The worst place to sit is on the side (with the big windows), but that won't be a problem with DCI. Most of the stadium is well shaded, and there is air circulation with the roof open. I don't know about the turf, but I can't imagine they would let Peyton out there unless conditions were optimal. :tongue:

That said, I'm not convinced the open roof will make much of a difference. But as Hopkins (rightly) said, we'll never know until we try. Hopefully I can make it to quarters so I can hear for myself.

I've been to a couple open-roofed Colts games. One problem with the midday sun will be the fact that it reflects off the south window. Whoever sits in the path of that reflection is definitely going to feel it. Sure, it can be born. I've born temperatures over 100 at the Battle Creek show a few years ago - Dan Acheson even came out to thank the crowd after the show. But had they had air conditioning for that show I'm sure they'd have used it.

1)so basically it says "hey 16 to 23, sorry, you're not competitive". I have a huge issue with that...what's good for the goose is good for the gander. it's basically telling the "little" guys, sorry you do not count.

But that's the truth: the 23rd place corps is not competitive for Finals. And really, neither is the 16th place corps (and FWIW, I marched in a 16th place corps).

What I meant, is that corps within their little competitive brackets will (corps competing for a Semi's slot, corps competing for Final's slot, corps competing for a Top 6 slot, corps competing for Top 3, Championship, etc) will all get an equal competitive 'environment.' Will Jersey Surf get an equal environment to Blue Devils? No. Would they get an equal environment if it were outdoors? No: BD would go on in the cool late evening/night, Surf will go on in the heat of the afternoon. But within each sub-set of competition there is an equal performance environment, and that's what's most important.

Do you really expect the employees of an organization to speak out against it publicly? To make the frequently awful and always dreaded sports analogy: how many NFL refs, MLB umpires or NBA officials do you see speaking out against their leagues? I'm not sure why you would expect anything different from DCI.

No. I also don't expect an organization responsible for sanctioning events, wherein the outcome is determined solely by subjective means, to jeopardize the integrity of the judging community by having them endorse such a blatantly dishonest article.

No. I also don't expect an organization responsible for sanctioning events, wherein the outcome is determined solely by subjective means, to jeopardize the integrity of the judging community by having them endorse such a blatantly dishonest article.

So you assume that the judges were blatantly lying in an attempt to "fool" the public into thinking the acoustics are perfect?

Seriously, do you know how ridiculous that sounds?! Some huge, deep conspiracy that DCI is fronting, where they coerce the judges into lying for some little PR article read by a few thousand people: Ha! Pure comedy!! :tongue:

Perhaps the judges actually believed what they said (that the acoustics did not effect their ability to audibly rank and rate the corps), and were in fact voicing their true opinions. :tongue:

That said, I'm not convinced the open roof will make much of a difference. But as Hopkins (rightly) said, we'll never know until we try. Hopefully I can make it to quarters so I can hear for myself.

I'm in agreement with you: I would be shocked if the open room presented a huge difference either way, but I give DCI props for at least exploring all of their options.

Best case scenario is that it has a noticeable difference acoustically and an open roof can be utilized in future events.

Worst case scenario is that we're back where we started last year, with many unhappy with the acoustics. But at least DCI and LOS explored the open roof option.

Though I guess that 'worst case scenario' is that it rains all day during Quarters and we won't be able to open the roof this year.

Edited by perc2100