Best of the Decades Part Cuatro! (2000s)

Welcome to the 2000s everyone! I think this will be a wild decade of debating. Let's find out...  

134 members have voted

1. 1. High Score BRASS of the 2000s:

• 2000 - The Cadets
    • 2001 - Blue Devils
    • 2002 - The Cavaliers
    • 2003 - Blue Devils
    • 2004 - Blue Devils
    • 2005 - The Cadets
    • 2006 - The Cavaliers
    • 2007 - Blue Devils
    • 2008 - Blue Devils
    • 2009 - Carolina Crown
  2. 2. High Score Color Guard of the 2000s:

• 2000 - The Cavaliers
    • 2001 - Blue Devils
    • 2002 - The Cavaliers
    • 2003 - Blue Devils
    • 2004 - The Cavaliers
    • 2005 - The Cadets
    • 2006 - Blue Devils
    • 2007 - The Cavaliers
    • 2008 - Blue Devils
    • 2009 - Blue Devils
  3. 3. High Score PERCUSSION of the 2000s:

• 2000 - The Cavaliers
    • 2001 - The Cadets
    • 2002 - The Cadets
    • 2003 - The Cadets
    • 2004 - Santa Clara Vanguard
    • 2005 - The Cadets
    • 2006 - Phantom Regiment
    • 2007 - Blue Devils
    • 2008 - Phantom Regiment
    • 2009 - Blue Devils

Those really stuck out to me as well. They all had a similar level of intensity and confidence that I didn't feel a match for in other lines of those years. (emphasis on the "I") And the books were written above and beyond also. All three had beautifully integrated frontline to battery. Great writing and great performances. They put icing on the cake by marching their arses off too. The whole package, all three.

agreed.

phantom should have another beast line front to back this year!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldn't decide on brass, but voted BD 03.

Guard has to be Cadets 05.

Percussion...gotta be Cadets 03.

For brass I would have The Cadets 2001. They are not listed, because only the actual winner of the caption is listed, but in my opinion The Cadets of 2001 had the best brass line of the decade. They had balance, blend, intonation, range, demand, exposure to error, musicality, and the flash they are certainly known for. I am not sure what happened at finals that dumped them into 3rd, but they were the best line I heard in the 2000s.

Of the corps actually listed for brass, I would say 2003 Blue Devils or 2009 Crown. Crown may seem like a sleeper in this mix, but that was one heck of a line last summer. Very polished, big sound, excellent demand, solid intonation. The Cadets brass line of 2005 was crystal clear, tight, and smokin' good as well.

The Cavaliers brass in 2002 was an exceptional line when it came to balance, blend, phrasing, and musical nuance; but I think demand and exposure to error may be what is keeping folks from voting for them. Still, they deserve mention because they did win high brass and were a pleasure to listen to.

For percussion, I agree with SCV 2004. Amazing demand, writing, color, blend, and they were so well featured. I would put the Cadets line of 2005 right under them. Although the drum "speak/rap" was not everyone's cup of tea, the total package was great, and they do clean so well and play so polished. Phantom Regiment's line of 2008 was wicked as well. But SCV wins!

For me, guard would go to Phantom Regiment in 2008, but I know they didn't win that caption. However, that was masterful! Of the corps on the list, the Cadets of 2005 were technically the best, but I agree with many that the integration of them into the show was a bit lacking. I think I would vote for the Cavaliers 2004.

It's all in good fun.