Looking to compare?

thirdcoast

I agree...if the sole purpose is to be able to play the music. Anything written for 2-valve horn can be played on a 3-valve horn.

I was once chatting with the person responsible for signing out instruments at a university band camp for junior high students. While we were chatting, a kid came in with a baritone horn, saying that the low brass instructor sent him to the instrument room to get a different instrument. He went on to state that the instructor said since he was playing treble clef baritone parts, he should have a treble clef baritone instead of the bass clef baritone he checked out earlier. (Of course, the instructor was having fun with the kid.) The person he came to see dutifully took in his "bass clef baritone" and gave the kid a "treble clef baritone," all the time while keeping a straight face. After the kid left, he looked at me and we both lost it.

I lost it reading this!!!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is Better?

Two three-valve baritones OR three two-valve baritones ???

3 2v--less turbulence, 3rd bari will balance out those "out of tune" notes :tongue:

What is Better?

Two three-valve baritones OR three two-valve baritones ???

It depends.

Are you going to be pelted off the field with rocks / ice cubes? Then 3x 2v's are better. Fewer parts to replace and a spare horn for parts. Plus the old they don't make them like they used to adage.

If you're going to be playing more formal places, then the 2x 3v's might be better. That way when they call you a trumpet player, you can just nod at them.

I agree...if the sole purpose is to be able to play the music. Anything written for 2-valve horn can be played on a 3-valve horn.

I was once chatting with the person responsible for signing out instruments at a university band camp for junior high students. While we were chatting, a kid came in with a baritone horn, saying that the low brass instructor sent him to the instrument room to get a different instrument. He went on to state that the instructor said since he was playing treble clef baritone parts, he should have a treble clef baritone instead of the bass clef baritone he checked out earlier. (Of course, the instructor was having fun with the kid.) The person he came to see dutifully took in his "bass clef baritone" and gave the kid a "treble clef baritone," all the time while keeping a straight face. After the kid left, he looked at me and we both lost it.

If you have both horns to play, they sound quite diffrent.

I must admit...I've been scratching my head over this one too. Isn't a 2 valve baritone essentially a 3 valve baritone with one valve missing or are WE missing something??

As I say, they play diffrent. And if you get ahold of a valve rotor horn, that plays a whole lot diffrent also.

Gee, and we wonder WHY DCP seems to come off like it does to outside people...perhaps remedial reading class should be required.

OP AND Topic

Topic:

First sentence of OP:

Responses:

I mean folks you can't make this stuff up. :worthy:

Im old, sitting in a class happened so long ago. In 2004 I was at my shop, I am a painter. My boss asked me one day to go up in the attic of our shop and get rid of these cases they found. I go up there and there are 3 bari cases from early 70s- Madison Scouts- Valve rotors, all junk except one. You gotta be kidding me. It was in playing condition, so I played. One year goes buy and I get a phone call from Scott to find out if I had been playing and buy george I had been, a project is going to happen so I started playing more. To my dvds with a valve rotor and I got pretty good, totally diffrent horn to play with, I couldnt really get it in tune but boy I could play it. About three months before the project I still had not received my 3 valve horn so a buddy of mine had a 2 valve that I used for 3 months. So for three years I played 3 diffrent horns to all kinds of music and I am going to keep playing so I might as well broaden my horizon and get good on all three. And compare.

The inherent problem with comparing those horns is that there is a lot of difference between makes on the old horns. A lot of difference. So comparing a 2 valve deg versus a 2 valve king is very different. Where the 3 valve versions with modern design aspects are very similar. Comparing a 3 valve deg to a 3 valve kanstul, I'd say the most noticeable difference is that the deg favors a smaller mouthpiece. Beyond that they're close to identical except for the intonation, ergonomic, and build quality issues from a certain point of view. Back in the day when horns were a bit mixed, between 2 valved degs and 2 valved kings, a lot of members would sell their first born, to NOT have to play the deg. I don't have much exposure to P/R horns of baritone type. I do have a P/R Olds sop though, and not far off from more traditional horns. It's a little harder to play because the rotor moves the horn around with my poor technique, and intonation is a bit squirelly, but it plays more like a normal horn.

Basically if you were to compare an Olds P/R bari to an ultratone 2 valve bari to a kanstul 3 valve bari, you might not consider them that different. But if you were to compare a getzen P/R to a deg 2 valve to kanstul 3 valve you would probably consider them a world of difference. And praise whatever god you worship that modern horns are so much better now. Since you're looking to buy them. Just know that some duds of the vintage horns are the ones most likely to be sold, and there's a reason some of those 30+yo horns look so mint, because they were never played, because they suck. Where the better horn will likely look it's age and probably be well past it's service life.

• 2 weeks later...