Looking to compare?

thirdcoast

I get this if you are looking for a Bari for parade purposes. I play two as well. A K-70 for parades with Kingsmen, and 3 valve to compete. Find the difference between playing a 2 valve, as oppsoed to 3 valve for parades, to be like a jogger doing a morning run with ankle weights.

You might want to check out www.xkingsmen.com too. Sign up for the forum.

We had 150 plus guys with Piston Rotors, 2 valves, and 3's, in 07

Competing last year with Kingsmen Sr., we had P/R, 2, and 3 also represented. (Judges found that interesting).

Anyway, make a post that you are looking for a horn- you might find someone looking to sell

Edited by Dmlkmen

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am looking to purchace a 2 valve baritone and a 3 valve also to compare them. What should I expect to pay? Does anybody know where I could find them to purchase? Of coarse they both need to be in playing condition. I just found some sheet music in my old skate case at my moms from the middle 80s, 84 to 87 madison. So seeing that I have the 3 valve sheet music from the 2006 reunion project, all this stuff I just found is written for 2 valve. So I need both types of horns. If anybody can point me in the right direction it would be great.

You have music written only to be played on a two-valve baritone?

You have music written only to be played on a two-valve baritone?
I must admit...I've been scratching my head over this one too. Isn't a 2 valve baritone essentially a 3 valve baritone with one valve missing or are WE missing something??

I must admit...I've been scratching my head over this one too. Isn't a 2 valve baritone essentially a 3 valve baritone with one valve missing or are WE missing something??

That's what I meant.

Unless the OP is talking about a G horn, and just didn't say so.

I think that's probably the only source of confusion for anybody in this thread, including the ones accused of lacking reading comprehension skills.

That's what I meant.

Unless the OP is talking about a G horn, and just didn't say so.

I think that's probably the only source of confusion for anybody in this thread, including the ones accused of lacking reading comprehension skills.

Didn't he say the music was from the 80's? I think he is referring to G-horn music.

Didn't he say the music was from the 80's? I think he is referring to G-horn music.
But aren't 3 valve horns are available in both G and Bb (allowing, of course, that you've got to go digging for a 3 valve G horn, since no one is making them as standard issue these days)? To play 80's vintage 2 valve music (in its original key) on a 3 valve horn:

G horn - no special technique or preparation required. Just use valves 1 and 2 and leave valve 3 alone.

Bb horn - slap a piece of duct tape on the 3rd valve to hold it down. This will lower the pitch of the horn a minor third, in effect making it into a G horn. Then proceed as you would have bitd with valves 1 and 2. Intonation might be iffy on a jerry-rigged contraption like that. But wasn't it always a problem anyway? That's why we went to multi-key, so the experts say! (hahahaha, lol!).

All in good fun. Best of luck to the o.p. finding horns that meet his needs.

Fred O.

Moving to Brass forum.

Most lead parts lend themselves to being played on a 2 valve horn. I agree on the weight thing. Having only 2/3rd the valve-age makes a horn noticeably lighter. Of course adding layers of chrome makes it about the same weight. And some of the ergonomics of those early horns put the valve cluster further from the body.

If you have a choice, get a King or Olds over a Getzen or Deg 2 valve horn. 3 valves in G and you really only have two choices, Kanstul being the better horn most of the time. On Bb, you've got choice of a dozen manufacturers over the centuries. At least for baritone. Not all manufacturers make a complete line of marching brass. Or at least didn't used to before DCI and DCA legalized 3+ valved horns.

Any preferences? G? Bb? Silver / Brass / Chrome / Nickel / Wood (I kid, I kid, sort of). Would you consider a P/R horn a 2 valve horn? With 2 valved horns (pistons) you're probably limited to that late 70's to early 90's model horns. Or Marine DBC surplus.

3 valve G Euphs run about $2K - $3K new, $500 - $1,500 used.

2 valve G Euphs are used by default. I wouldn't pay more than $500 for one, not including shipping. Bearing in mind that the horn is probably a couple decades old at this point. And may not even be playable.

As far as Baritones, not my cup of tea, but they're generally cheaper than Euphs. And also harder to get ahold of used as more people want them.

Most lead parts lend themselves to being played on a 2 valve horn. I agree on the weight thing. Having only 2/3rd the valve-age makes a horn noticeably lighter.

FYI -

My competition/field horn: DEG 4V SuperMag = 29lbs

My parade horn: DEG 2V Dynasty II = 18lbs.

Difference in weight > next biggest horn!