Looking to compare?

thirdcoast

How much are horns today?

Which horns? New or Used?

I bought a New Kanstul KEB195 (G Euph) for $1,835 in 2002. It's now in that $2,200+ range for the same horn. Price of stamps from $0.35 to $0.44 in the past half a decade. Price of gas from $1.50 for 93 octane in 1999 to $3.50 for 87 octane at certain times of year in the past decade. It's all relative. A used King Bb 3 valve Euph typically goes around $900. Where it's Deg counter part goes for $600 or less. Both of which might MSRP around $3K NEW. But those are Euphs, not baritones.

The way to find out the ballpark that your comfortable with is to check out the NEW prices, then check out the average eBay ending price (factor in a little extra for shipping costs), then check out what's available out there. DCP marketplace, corps individual sites, eBay, craigslist, and other sources for the goods. For Bb horns, check your local marching band. For G horns, they can be a little hard to come by for the popular / good ones. Not impossible though as they stay in genre, where Bb horns can be gobbled up by any HS marching band with a budget.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is Better?

Two three-valve baritones OR three two-valve baritones ???

Two guys discussing business:

Willy: Have I got a deal for you. I know a guy who used to work with the circus. I can get you an elephant for $100.

Nilly: Get outta here, man; what would I want with an elephant?

Willy: It'll make a great pet.

Nilly: Where the heck would I keep an elephant?

Willy: He's already housebroken.

Nilly: Pffff, he'll eat me out of house and home.

Willy: Nah, you could feed him for peanuts. And the trunk is a great household accessory. He could water your lawn, paint the side of your house...

Nilly: Get outta here; WHAT AM I GONNA DO WITH AN ELEPHANT?

Willy: Dude, what're you shouting for? (moving in closer, lowering his voice) Tell you what - I'll get you 3 elephants for $200.

Nilly: Now you're talking!