Looking to compare?

thirdcoast

I am looking to purchace a 2 valve baritone and a 3 valve also to compare them. What should I expect to pay? Does anybody know where I could find them to purchase? Of coarse they both need to be in playing condition. I just found some sheet music in my old skate case at my moms from the middle 80s, 84 to 87 madison. So seeing that I have the 3 valve sheet music from the 2006 reunion project, all this stuff I just found is written for 2 valve. So I need both types of horns. If anybody can point me in the right direction it would be great.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have a 3 valve, what in the heck do you need a 2 valve for?! :tongue:

Contact someone from Renegades. I don't know if they still have them but I know they had some 2 valve Baris from SCV for sell. You'll get yourself a bit of DCI history while you're at it! :tongue:

Here's a direct link... http://renegadesstuff.blogspot.com/2010_02_01_archive.html. If you scroll down (or click on the red links to the right), you'll find some Dynasty II baris in fair to good condition (and 1 Olds Ultratone) as well as some contras, F Horns, mellos and sops (and some of the old Renegades unis and equipment too!)

Edited by skajerk

If you have a 3 valve, what in the heck do you need a 2 valve for?! :tongue:

I agree...if the sole purpose is to be able to play the music. Anything written for 2-valve horn can be played on a 3-valve horn.

I was once chatting with the person responsible for signing out instruments at a university band camp for junior high students. While we were chatting, a kid came in with a baritone horn, saying that the low brass instructor sent him to the instrument room to get a different instrument. He went on to state that the instructor said since he was playing treble clef baritone parts, he should have a treble clef baritone instead of the bass clef baritone he checked out earlier. (Of course, the instructor was having fun with the kid.) The person he came to see dutifully took in his "bass clef baritone" and gave the kid a "treble clef baritone," all the time while keeping a straight face. After the kid left, he looked at me and we both lost it.

Now that's funny right there! Hope he got that sky hook, too!

Gee, and we wonder WHY DCP seems to come off like it does to outside people...perhaps remedial reading class should be required.

OP AND Topic

Topic:

Looking to compare?

First sentence of OP:

I am looking to purchace a 2 valve baritone and a 3 valve also to compare them.

Responses:

If you have a 3 valve, what in the heck do you need a 2 valve for?! confused.gif
I agree...if the sole purpose is to be able to play the music. Anything written for 2-valve horn can be played on a 3-valve horn.

I mean folks you can't make this stuff up. :tongue:

Hey, I gave him a link to go to!

Gee, and we wonder WHY DCP seems to come off like it does to outside people...perhaps remedial reading class should be required.

OP AND Topic

Topic:

First sentence of OP:

Responses:

I mean folks you can't make this stuff up. :tongue:

I agee. It is perhaps a lack of proper reading comprehension skills at work here on the part of some posters. I've noticed the tendency to sometimes miscontrue a poster's remarks from what seemingly was a very clear question and /or remark.

Hey, I gave him a link to go to!

Yes, and I applaud you on that, you were the ONE person that answered his question without questioning their ability to make a decision on purchasing 2 horns.

See! I don't screw around all the time! :tongue: