DCI Trivia Game

Well, Mr. Horns-Up, this thread had disintegrated from trivia to a discussion about Premier drums in the early 70s, so I was trying to restart things. Which it now has been, thank you.

Pioneer is the correct answer. They switched over for the 2008 season. Troopers went over after the re-structuring, which would have been 2007.

So, CrunchyTenor, feel free to take over with the next question.

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There isn't any countdown clock in the rules, Mr. Bone.

Ya want a bugle question, huh? Okay.

For a number of seasons, the DCI rules stated it was illegal to play a certain pitch on certain bugles.

What was that note?

Bonus questions to follow.

There isn't any countdown clock in the rules, Mr. Bone.

Ya want a bugle question, huh? Okay.

For a number of seasons, the DCI rules stated it was illegal to play a certain pitch on certain bugles.

What was that note?

Bonus questions to follow.

Low b flat?

I'm guessing because of only 2 valves:

Low B Natural... Concert Pitch

Which would also include low E natural concert pitch.

Edited by Kyle B

Low B flat (bugle pitch) was legal in 1956 when rotaries were authorized.

Low B natural (concert pitch) became legal with the G-F bugle in the 1968 season.

My question concerns a definition in the DCI bluebook for a number of seasons.

Now, Mr. FSU, Premier drums in the 70s IS trivia.

And me and the boys from Chicago and New York and Vegas is gonna keep talking drums. Capiche?

I don’t recall any slotted lugs on the Premiers. But what do I know, I only tuned the tympani.

I would have liked to see Royal Scots, with £500 worth of emblazoning on the shells. But our BM bought the cheapest model that would make Sorny happy.

Now Sorny sez if there was too much ring, he just tuned the drums higher. And used the internal dampeners which were standard in all field drums of that era.

We quickly discovered that buzzrolls had to be played off-center. It took a way lot longer to figure out how to release those same buzzrolls without ticking.

The Kilties' single-head thunder bass was carried by Ron “Fogs” Anderson, who actually did know how to use his left arm quite well. He won DCI I&E on tri-tenor in 1974.

Edited by HornsUp

Now, Mr. FSU, Premier drums in the 70s IS trivia.

And me and the boys from Chicago and New York and Vegas is gonna keep talking drums. Capiche?

I don’t recall any slotted lugs on the Premiers. But what do I know, I only tuned the tympani.

I would have liked to see Royal Scots, with £500 worth of emblazoning on the shells. But our BM bought the cheapest model that would make Sorny happy.

Now Sorny sez if there was too much ring, he just tuned the drums higher. And used the internal dampeners which were standard in all field drums of that era.

We quickly discovered that buzzrolls had to be played off-center. It took a way lot longer to figure out how to release those same buzzrolls without ticking.

The Kilties' single-head thunder bass was carried by Ron “Fogs” Anderson, who actually did know how to use his left arm quite well. He won DCI I&E on tri-tenor in 1974.

All good except Fog won in '75.

The orphan pitch you seek is A-flat, though the question needs a little refining. The note itself was not "illegal", exactly. It could be played with an alternate fingering which rendered a very flat approximation (for reasons not entirely germane to this discussion).

What was not permitted was to modify the (then) 2-valve instrument mechanically with an additional slip slide mechanism to allow for it to be played "in tune".

One major corps actually welded the horns to prevent even the possibility of such a trick, and tried to insist that everybody else do the same.

The real irony was that 95% of the drum corps community couldn't have distinguished an A-flat from a fire hydrant.

Ironlips is 100% correct, and gets to ask the next trivia question.

HOWEVER he must also take a stab at these bonus questions:

• What DCI arranger blatantly violated this rule, halting his entire soprano section on the front sideline and having them pull their illegal Ab slides in unison?

• What was his defense, if his corps had been caught and penalized?

• How did this very same individual play a low A flat on a single-piston bugle, while making a guest appearance as "+1" with the Three Tenors?

• Is a fire hydrant a legal percussion instrument?

Edited by HornsUp

Regarding the last World Class corps on G . . . Madison was the last corps in the top 12 on G.

My question that I know the answer to: Who was the last corps to play Ludwig in Finals?

Question that I do not know the answer to: Who was the first corps to play quads?