DCI Trivia Game

Side note: Are those Premier drums the "Royal Scot" model? All metal shell, and slotted lugs. Slotted meant you couldn't use a standard drum key to adjust, you had to use a slotted key. You could also use a screw driver in a pinch, but too much of that and the lug slots would distort and break. We used those when I was a freshman in high school, they sounded best when played off center. Playing right over the top snare assembly felt and sounded bad.

How many times did you split your thumb open doing a rimshot?

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know PR used a concert snare in 1974. I assume it was a 14". That's not what I really was talking about. I also know Premier made a 14" snare in the early 70's, mostly used in pipe bands. I don't know of any finalist corps that used these. It is possible some one used 14" snares prior to SCV in 1979. Maybe I stand corrected?

I realize that this is primarily asking about DCI corps, but the Skyliners used the 14" double snared Premiers for the last part of '65, all of '66 and '67 and the early part of '68 when we got new 15" Ludwigs.

The Premiers, when tuned properly, had a very crisp sound, but the downside was that your line had to be super clean. There was no forgiveness with that drum; you were either very right or very wrong. If one listens to a '66 recording of Sky, you will hear one of the finest snare lines to hit the field with a response and crispness not heard from too many lines back then. That line was comprised of Don Quinn, Wes Myers, Joe Candelaria, Jon Bailey and Bernie Weeks(RIP) ; great drummers all.

I believe that the Interstatesmen also used the same drums during the same era. Those 3 guys were absolute animals on those drums and got everything they could out of them, whether playing ppp or fff. They were another superior snare line, BITD.

Ray

Edited by Ray Priester

I realize that this is primarily asking about DCI corps, but the Skyliners used the 14" double snared Premiers for the last part of '65, all of '66 and '67 and the early part of '68 when we got new 15" Ludwigs.

The Premiers, when tuned properly, had a very crisp sound, but the downside was that your line had to be super clean. There was no forgiveness with that drum; you were either very right or very wrong. If one listens to a '66 recording of Sky, you will hear one of the finest snare lines to hit the field with a response and crispness not heard from too many lines back then. That line was comprised of Don Quinn, Wes Myers, Joe Candelaria, Jon Bailey and Bernie Weeks(RIP) ; great drummers all.

I believe that the Interstatesmen also used the same drums during the same era. Those 3 guys were absolute animals on those drums and got everything they could out of them, whether playing ppp or fff. They were another superior snare line, BITD.

Ray

VK used a set of Carlton double snares for a couple of shows in 1972. We could hear ourselves great, but the judge-in-the-box said he couldn't hear them. We went back to our Rogers Dyna-Sonics.

Garry in Vegas

Is it just me, or has this gotten pretty off topic from the whole trivia thing and asking questions? Would anyone hate me for asking one and getting this all restarted?

Which World Class corps was the last one to switch from G to Bb?

Troopers, I believe.

Troopers, I believe.

Pioneer, last year. Troopers switched when they came back in 2007.

What was the first finalist corps to march 14" snares?

DCI era, or any era? VK marched 14" Rogers Dyna-Sonics in 1969.

The old Ludwig factory is condo's now on N. Damen Ave........the new Ludwig guys in Indiana don't want to do marching drums anymore. I suppose that's been evident for a while now.

Ain't that true. It seems to have been that way since they became the red-headed step-child at Selmer first, and continuing with conn-Selmer. The USA Free Floater doesn't work, and they refuse to be competitive with Pearl, Yamaha and Dynasty (and Slingerland at one time) regarding price and sponsorships. For a company with a history of innovation and support of the drumming community, they are a shadow of their former selves.

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor

Is it just me, or has this gotten pretty off topic from the whole trivia thing and asking questions? Would anyone hate me for asking one and getting this all restarted?

Which World Class corps was the last one to switch from G to Bb?

Madison

Madison

I believe Madison voted no to the any-key rule, but they were pretty quick to get on board once it became apparent that G bugles were out of favor with the judging community.

We had lots of discussion about Pioneer and the alleged "threat" from a judge that they'd never get a good score as long as they were on G bugles. They were the last.

Garry in Vegas

Would anyone hate me for asking one and getting this all restarted?
Howzabout you play by the rules, Mr. Impatient? It ain't your turn. Edited by HornsUp

Howzabout you play by the rules, Mr. Impatient? It ain't your turn.

OK.....You're up.

Do you have a question on the table?