Talk to ma about

990's can be filed and 1099's can be given to members. Not dangerous at all.

The idea ultimately is to get local businesses to donate. If you show them good spirit they'll donate anyway. Play music for the clients that buy a new house. Advertise them on your Equipment trailer. You can certainly display the logo of donors.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

990's can be filed and 1099's can be given to members. Not dangerous at all.

No...the organization files a 990 and discloses its sources of income. if the sources of income are from the operation of profit-motive activities you run the risk of being taxed on unrelated business income. If it's egregious you run the risk of putting the org's exempt status in jeopardy.

Best to have purely business/profit seeking activities run from a supporting organization or, even easier, have those businesses donate cash to the corps or donate food, truck equipment, services, etc., in-kind. the corps can acknowledge the gift and it's then the business' responsiblity to write it off.

That's why you see so many drum corps that, say, have buses that they rent out to other organizations during the year - those buses are titled in a separate corporation, and that corporation supports the drum corps organization.

Why would members get 1099s? Are they getting paid anything?

It wasn't. With Statesmen, Brigs, Cru and lets add Grenadiers too (although a bit further away) and add a (new to DCA) White Sabres....WOW alot of corps! Today, different scenario with the economy. It's tough and I agree it can be done but finances are different....Bingo isn't as successful in NY as it was for the corps.

Note the post I made a few posts back. Look at the NJ corps demographics and there were years you'd have TWO corps within 20 miles of each other in the top 3.

It can be done.....................but no one is saying its easy.

It wasn't. With Statesmen, Brigs, Cru and lets add Grenadiers too (although a bit further away) and add a (new to DCA) White Sabres....WOW alot of corps! Today, different scenario with the economy. It's tough and I agree it can be done but finances are different....Bingo isn't as successful in NY as it was for the corps.

Some corps have survived decades and decades without Bingo too.................just saying :doh: I know the economy is rough (hell I and all my co workers took a huge pay cut to keep our jobs) and it has to be an issue with EVERY corps, but as I stated in another similar thread - a corps survival is not based solely on financial success or failure, there are MANY variables.

Barring exceptional circumstances, I personally think it is a huge mistake to take a year off from the DCA Championships, because you might accidentally put a corps into a lack-of-membership spiral that it may not recover from.

FYI, after nearly a three-year absence, I, and a number of others, rejoined the board of directors of the Renegades this weekend, and we are working very hard to get the corps on its feet financially right now. Truth be told, the corps is very much behind the ball right now .... however, this weekend, we not only more than doubled the size of the board with a lot of talented and hyping individuals who love the corps, but we also raised $10,000 by the end of Sunday, a big step towards climbing out of a deep financial hole. Moving forward, we are putting a business plan in place for the Renegades that will hopefully prevent it from being in this position ever again, similar to the business plan that I drafted for the Reading Buccaneers in 2004 (which, ironically enough, was based upon a lot of the strategies that we implemented with the Renegades in the early years).

For the record, at no time this weekend did we discuss the possibility of "not" coming to DCA (nor will we). Period at the end of that sentence.

The only time that the Renegades almost did not make it to DCA was 2006, the year we had two drummers in May ... we came about as close that I ever want to see the Renegades come to "not" making it out for DCA ... somehow, we not only got out to DCA, but we were able to get good enough by Labor Day to stay in Finals, which was a drum corps miracle in and of itself.

Lee

Lee,

Those "survival" years are in many ways the most rewarding. I'm sure the Renegades have their best days before them. Keep it up.

yep. Like I said Ray, there is no right or wrong....going both ways can be good, and it can be bad. Whichever choice a corps makes, they have to do it right

Well I still think there should be a right and wrong. I volunteer to be right this time...

You can be right some other time... something about Pennsylvania or something... Susquehanna River or Three Mile Island stuff... I don't

know.

Well I still think there should be a right and wrong. I volunteer to be right this time...

You can be right some other time... something about Pennsylvania or something... Susquehanna River or Three Mile Island stuff... I don't

know.

I wish in reality it could be that way Ray.

and yes, I survived Three Mile Island. I don't glow as much now

I actually lived not far from there at the time - Just into Lancaster County - before Boston became home.

says you...

No...the organization files a 990 and discloses its sources of income. if the sources of income are from the operation of profit-motive activities you run the risk of being taxed on unrelated business income. If it's egregious you run the risk of putting the org's exempt status in jeopardy.

Best to have purely business/profit seeking activities run from a supporting organization or, even easier, have those businesses donate cash to the corps or donate food, truck equipment, services, etc., in-kind. the corps can acknowledge the gift and it's then the business' responsiblity to write it off.

That's why you see so many drum corps that, say, have buses that they rent out to other organizations during the year - those buses are titled in a separate corporation, and that corporation supports the drum corps organization.

Why would members get 1099s? Are they getting paid anything?

,..............and that pretty much nails it...............