Blue Stars 2010

They just posted another clip of the Hornline playing Eric Whitacres "When David Heard"

absolutely haunting....

Oh my!

2 thoughts:

1. How amazingly well this reborn corps is doing. (Kudos to the staff, admin, and kids!)
  2. How crappy these wonderfully long, loud, and complex brass passages with a slamming battery are going to sound in the Echo Chamber.

Sigh.

I think I'll focus on how much I'm looking forward to seeing this show in Allentown.

While it does sound like the horns and battery are being given more challenging parts and continue to improve over the years, so far (based on these four clips alone) this music seems to be taking a step back from prior years as far as melody is concerned, IMHO. Rhythmically it is very "driving" but melodically it is just the typical modern drum corps whole notes followed by running parts, followed by whole notes building to a crescendo. Hopefully there will be more hummable melodies in other sections of the show.

Note, I have not heard the fifth clip yet, so keep your panties from bunching up if you intend to reply to my comments based on that clip.

Edited by fifer

While it does sound like the horns and battery are being given more challenging parts and continue to improve over the years, so far (based on these four clips alone) this music seems to be taking a step back from prior years as far as melody is concerned, IMHO. Rhythmically it is very "driving" but melodically it is just the typical modern drum corps whole notes followed by running parts, followed by whole notes building to a crescendo. Hopefully there will be more hummable melodies in other sections of the show.

Note, I have not heard the fifth clip yet, so keep your panties from bunching up if you intend to reply to my comments based on that clip.

Well, its a lot of phillip glass stuff, so I think its to be expected that the music will be more harmonically driven than melodically. But you do have a valid point.

Does anyone know of a way that non-Facebook users can access these?

Does anyone know of a way that non-Facebook users can access these?

join :doh: