Corps mouthpieces

The Other Mike

My lead trumpet came back from camp and I knew his chopps were tired but his sound really sucked. on closer inspection he was using a new mouthpiece, something I'm not up to date on names and numbers with. As I inspected it I asked him what's this #### Oh, the brass caption head said we have to start playing on these. Oh he did, did he ?

You play in 2 symphony groups, this band and you take lessons from the trumpet chair at the universisty right ?

Ummm yes,

and didn't your private teacher and I agree as to what you will play on ?

Yes

So who the #### is this guy to tell you this is what you have to play on from now on, he really doesn't expect you to play "here", with that does he ?

I think so.

Whats his instrument ?

Euphonium

Ok, so why tell a lead trumpet to play on such a dark tone mouthpiece.

He said we are not the Blue Devils with that shallow sound of theirs ( bahhhaaahahaha )

Oh really? let me see that...( I take mouthpiece and lock it away in my desk )

You can have it back AFTER our Spring concert, THEN you can change to whatever he likes but no lead player for me is changing before the concert. Had it been changed in December / January so he would have had time to adjust I would have worked with it AFTER speaking with his private teacher.

Either he or I must have missed something for it does no good will to send a kid back to their high school band with instructions from a low brass player as to what mouthpiece a trumpet player in my band is going to play on, when I'm a trumpet guy and he takes lessons from the top university trumpet teacher in the area and my concert is about 4 weeks away.

Man, those low brass people allways thinking they know better than trumpet players, when will they learn who are the Gods :tongue:

Low brass, stand in the back while we play lead and take the chicks :-)

Edited by The Other Mike

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is he supposed to be playing on?

Got told to start using a different Bari mouthpiece but that was because the horn needed a lot of air and I was playing the low notes. Nothing was said about outside of corps. If the "tech" basically said one size fits all he needs a bit o' sense knocked into him....

I highly doubt that he said you have to use this in all your playing, and there is nothing wrong with telling a hornline they have to play on these mouthpieces at rehearsal.

It is their rehearsal.

A drum corps has every right to specify a mouthpiece to be used by members when performing in their organization. It's the organization's prerogative.

A band director has every right to specify a mouthpiece to be used by members when performing in their organization. It's his/her prerogative.

The performer has every right to use whatever mouthpiece(s) he/she chooses when performing outside said organizations. It's his/her prerogative.

I sincerely doubt any corps would demand a member exclusively utilize their specified mouthpiece for performances outside of corps-related performances/rehearsals.

Edited by Scooter Pirtle

A drum corps has every right to specify a mouthpiece to be used by members when performing in their organization. It's the organization's prerogative.

A band director has every right to specify a mouthpiece to be used by members when performing in their organization. It's his/her prerogative.

The performer has every right to use whatever mouthpiece(s) he/she chooses when performing outside said organizations. It's his/her prerogative.

I sincerely doubt any corps would demand a member exclusively utilize their specified mouthpiece for performances outside of corps-related performances/rehearsals.

High School kids are so impressionable.

If his private trumpet teacher finds out he changed mouthpieces without consultation, he might need to find another private teacher.

A bigger if - IF this student is seriously considering a career in instrumental performance, he really needs to focus on what works for HIM and not what works for the masses.

Sheesh.

High School kids are so impressionable.

If his private trumpet teacher finds out he changed mouthpieces without consultation, he might need to find another private teacher.

A bigger if - IF this student is seriously considering a career in instrumental performance, he really needs to focus on what works for HIM and not what works for the masses.

Sheesh.

If the student is seriously considering a career in instrumental performance, he really needs to learn how to adapt.

I'm in hopes it WAS a misunderstanding, however, his private teacher is the one basically giving him the 4 year ride at the private university in trumpet performance starting next year, and I have been the one to get my administration to give him 1/2 off tuition for high school. While I have no objection to him switching AFTER the concert ( with approval of his private teacher ), instructors really need to be careful HOW things are "said". As we all know, kids are so excited about marching corps to begin with that the slighest misunderstanding can cause undue problems Heck, every day I get questioned about things I say, but at 54 I learned a long time ago to put everything in writing to avoid as many misunderstandings as possible. While comments like this from say a top 12 horn instructor might carry more weight with "me", coming from a lower level corps struggling to fill a roster could cause problems with his private teacher who is the head of trumpet studies . ( and how many of THEM even think DC is worth the effort )

If he wants to blow the $120,000 college scolarship to pay $2000 in corps tuition, by all means, do exactly what the corps wants, however, if the performance degree from a private university is most important, he has to weigh the options and make a choice ( including the choice to march a different corps ) I started this student on trumpet in 4th grade and when I felt he had gained as much as "I" could offer, pushed him to private lessons with some of the best trumpet players in the area. Both last year and this year I have basically treated him as a student teacher, trying to teach, explain and expose him to as much possible including arranging for the band, running rehearsals etc. This kid passed me in performance years ago and has a much better ear than I ever did. We have, on purpose, not entered him into all district or all state to make SURE he doesn't get a swelled head. This is that "once in a teaching career" kid so maybe I'm a little too sensitive about this but I've made sure to explain to him that he really needs to be careful how he makes statements regarding this.

I'm a old corps guy and urge any and all of my kids to march if they can afford it. If "I", as an old corps guy band director worries about things like this, I can only imagine what non corps band directors might think.

I'm just going to chalk it up as an inexperienced instructor "POSSIBLY" making a comment "off the cuff" that the student misunderstood.

As far as the size, it's deeper than my 3C but has more letters and numbers than the Vin # on my car ( am I THAT out of touch ? )......maybe I'll dig out an old pardubba double cup to send him back to camp with :tongue:

Oh well, compared to everything else in life, this really isn't important, but thanks for allowing me to RANT, even if about nothing.

GOOD LORD 10 DAYS OFF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy:

Obviously this student is very lucky to have you in his corner. You’ve helped him over the period of many years develop into a player worthy of a scholarship. His college instructor will no doubt continue to develop him into a talented performer. Every great player can cite caring people like you who helped him or her develop.

My college professor hated that a participated in a drum corps, even though the technique program was virtually identical to the methodology he learned at Northwestern. The faculty at this university gleefully reduced by jury grade by one letter solely because I participated in drum corps (and told me this during each jury!). So, I’m familiar with the animosity between colleges and drum corps that existed back in the day. And I don’t regret participating in the activity at all.

But to learn your student will have his scholarship canceled because he performs on a deeper cup mouthpiece than his college professor specified for him is truly sad and shocking. I only hope that your student reviews this with the drum corps and some sort of compromised can be reached.

Thank you for sharing this story.

Edited by Scooter Pirtle