Corps mouthpieces

The Other Mike

Why not something like a 5C that is a deeper cup but with the high point of the rim more to inside and makes it feel smaller, easier switch ( somewhat) for those coming of a typical lead piece like a 13a4a or a 14a4a?

3C is as deep as a B cup Schilke except the Bach has a wider throat entrance.

Not trying to badmouth a choice, I would ask a player to switch too. I'm just curious on the solution of the choice of a 3C.

Also, does anybody care to answer why the 3C is the rage in corps today?

I have switched my students mouthpieces to a Bach Megatone 3C or 3D for many years now. It's always gotten positive results, so I carried that on with the groups that I have taught in drum corps including the Renegades, again with positive results. I have found that a 5C just doesn't get as big and dark of a sound as a 3C.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Certainly not. But that was not the case with Wayne and Jack, nor John. Also, when I ask someone to switch to a Bach 3C in the Renegades, it's only because their mpc. is not a good fit for the player(i.e., a 2nd or 3rd sop playing on a lead trumpet mpc.)

Makes sense. I'd ask 'em to switch, too. In fact, I'd probably pull my 5C out of the bag and have the player do a comparison of tone quality. More than likely they will decide to switch on their own - if the person has any sort of discriminating ear.

Just read your comment about Megatone 3C. There's a difference between a regular and mega for sure.

Edited by G-horns

Here's a question for all of you brass guys out there : Do equipment manufactures still ship stock mouthpieces with their new horns? The reason I ask is that I remember when they did, and could never figure out why because hardly any of the players ever used them.

Student model instruments still come with a mouthpiece.

Here's a question for all of you brass guys out there : Do equipment manufactures still ship stock mouthpieces with their new horns? The reason I ask is that I remember when they did, and could never figure out why because hardly any of the players ever used them.

They still do. Student models come with a 7C usually.

Some "professional" models come with a 3C or in Yamaha's case, a 14C4.

Sadly, some student models are coming with the larger mouthpieces now.

Most directors and teachers are in to the large mouthpiece craze and make their kids switch. My first trumpet teacher swapped me from my 7C (average) to a 1 1/4 C (fairly large). My college professor got me to go smaller (still big though) with larger throats.

Edited by CloudHype

I might be in the minority here, but I hated the Bach 3C mouthpiece. I switched from Mellophone to Soprano because that's where the corps needed me. I was told to go buy a 3C.

I hated that mouthpiece. I had absolutely zero endurance with it. Now, I wasn't playing lead (2nd), but compared to when I was playing mellophone, I felt I couldn't get through a rehearsal without my lips wanting to leave 2 hours before me.

I tried a Yamaha mouthpiece when I complained to one of the leads that my chops were crap. He's like "why are you playing on that?" He gave me a 14a4, which I liked a lot. Couple of discussions with other players and I wound up on a Shiltke 14a4a. It was a great piece, yeah maybe not a traditional soprano piece for a guy playing 2nd, but with my range topping out at 2nd line C, it was a godsend, and my endurance improved significantly. Would it have improved on the 3C? I doubt it, because I stuck with that piece for about 3 months, practicing religiously.

The next year when we switched to the Bb horns, I had it drilled out to open it up more, but I still love that piece. For *MY* playing ability, its what I needed, and I'd resist changing if I were still playing now.

I can't believe that some student model horns are being supplied with other than a tried and true 7C. Kids learning to breathe properly need something they can handle right away. In today's environment, you get about 4 to 8 weeks for kids to be successful at ANYTHING. If they don't see any progress, they just give up. (I don't like it, but that's the way it is.) So why make it harder than it has to be?

Low soprano/trumpet could consider a 5C or similar. But if the 14a4a does the trick for ya and nobody in authority complains....

All the Bach horns at all levels that come through our store come with a 7C, although we switch them out at request most of the time for a 3C or something like that. Most of the schools that have their kids rent from us request 7Cs, although some ask for 5Cs, and a lot of the schools that start their kids on cornet ask for 5Bs.

I am a big mouthpiece fan, not because of 'the craze,' but because I have big lips and a tendency of overblowing.

I might be in the minority here, but I hated the Bach 3C mouthpiece. I switched from Mellophone to Soprano because that's where the corps needed me. I was told to go buy a 3C.

I hated that mouthpiece. I had absolutely zero endurance with it. Now, I wasn't playing lead (2nd), but compared to when I was playing mellophone, I felt I couldn't get through a rehearsal without my lips wanting to leave 2 hours before me.

I tried a Yamaha mouthpiece when I complained to one of the leads that my chops were crap. He's like "why are you playing on that?" He gave me a 14a4, which I liked a lot. Couple of discussions with other players and I wound up on a Shiltke 14a4a. It was a great piece, yeah maybe not a traditional soprano piece for a guy playing 2nd, but with my range topping out at 2nd line C, it was a godsend, and my endurance improved significantly. Would it have improved on the 3C? I doubt it, because I stuck with that piece for about 3 months, practicing religiously.

The next year when we switched to the Bb horns, I had it drilled out to open it up more, but I still love that piece. For *MY* playing ability, its what I needed, and I'd resist changing if I were still playing now.

I'm not a 3C fan or a 14a4a fan.

Try a 3CW... A 3C with a different rim (wider) and it will feel smaller but it is the same diameter, it is very similar in feel to a 14a4a would be but with a deeper cup. I actually know a person that uses a 14a4a for lead and the 3CW for legit (hates the 3c). Your chops will feel more anchored and less like swimming inside a mouthpiece.

I'm not a 3C fan or a 14a4a fan.

Try a 3CW... A 3C with a different rim (wider) and it will feel smaller but it is the same diameter, it is very similar in feel to a 14a4a would be but with a deeper cup. I actually know a person that uses a 14a4a for lead and the 3CW for legit (hates the 3c). Your chops will feel more anchored and less like swimming inside a mouthpiece.

And therein lies the real deal....a mouthpiece has to suit the player and the task at hand. My brother played lead on a wide rim mpc. I could never get used to it. But on a frenchie, I tried a 5BW - liked the rim but the cup and back bore were too big for the range I needed.