We used to have two shows after Nats...Wildwood states and a show sponsored by a senior parade corps from Boonton, NJ, the Harmony corps (they used band instruments, by the way, not G horns). The class 'A' corps like Garfield, Blue Rock, Blessed Sac, etc...always looked like swiss cheese at those shows due to many members leaving for college. The corps with younger kids actually had it better at that time of year.

Thanks for the Harmony info Mike and do you remember if they were all brass and drums? Sounds like a marching Brass Band. Asking because I bought a Harmony patch years ago and got conflicting info on the group when I asked about them. Even googling made things more confusing.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We used to have two shows after Nats...Wildwood states and a show sponsored by a senior parade corps from Boonton, NJ, the Harmony corps (they used band instruments, by the way, not G horns). The class 'A' corps like Garfield, Blue Rock, Blessed Sac, etc...always looked like swiss cheese at those shows due to many members leaving for college. The corps with younger kids actually had it better at that time of year.

Yes those were the days Boonton was our last show of the year like the 3rd week of Sept.

I say this every time 1972 is brought up but at DCI prelims the Spectacle City Mariners who took 29th overall won side 1 M&M ex with a score that wasnt beat in finals as well. That and being a finalist in the DCI depleted VFW Nationals in Minneapolis were the last two dying gasps of a once great corps.

I am among those who wish St. Rita's had made the trip to DCIs in 1972 and '73. I think they would have made Finals both years. They had a wonderful corps during that era. Fran

I'm with you on that Fran. While I didn't see them in 72, I did have the pleasure of competing against them in 73. Man, they were dynamite! From what I read, Carmen Cluna wasn't a believer in the DCI venture. Come to think of it, St. Rita's didn't venture out of the north east very often.

Thanks for the Harmony info Mike and do you remember if they were all brass and drums? Sounds like a marching Brass Band. Asking because I bought a Harmony patch years ago and got conflicting info on the group when I asked about them. Even googling made things more confusing.

They also had Glockenspiels as I recall...mainly a parade unit (they did a mean rendition of "Born Free")..... I competed in their field show as well... as MikeD indicated there were loads of holes in those drills at that show......

Brass, drums and a glock section if memory serves.

I saw them in parades around the North Jersey area; they had a mix of adults and kids. Wore all black unis I think I recall.