Dutch Boy 2010 inactive

Sad day indeed. I really hope that Dutch can regroup over the next 6 months and come out strong next year. We do NOT want to lose one of the few remaining Canadian corps. Let me know if I can do anything to help. :ph34r:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sad day indeed. I really hope that Dutch can regroup over the next 6 months and come out strong next year. We do NOT want to lose one of the few remaining Canadian corps. Let me know if I can do anything to help. :ph34r:

Cathy, your support is appreciated. :ph34r:

I myslef hope that Dutch Boy can come back out better than ever for the 2011 season! :ph34r:

Or, consider this option. If the corps can't get out there with a booth, perhaps they could make arrangements with another corps to market their souvies. It could help the corps financially and with recruiting, and will make whatever corps decides to help them look good, too. After all, aren't we one big happy drum corps family?

Garry in Vegas

:ph34r:

:w00t:

:ph34r:

:w00t: :w00t:

I think of this activity as a family.

Aside- To the powers that be in the Open Class Div. PAY YOUR CORPS At the min. enough money to cover their fuel.

Actually, at many shows, the Open Class Corps get paid nothing....Nothing! As the Judge in Caddyshack Likes to say - "You'll get nothing - And Like It!" The only money they make is off of souveneir sales. During last year's tour, one of the other OC parents admitted that their corps made less than $20 in souvie sales, at some shows. That won't pay for much diesel fuel, or food, or salaries, or uniforms, or instruments..... You get my point.

And as one WC director also admitted here last year, they can make more money off of parades, then doing some DCI shows.

The economics of these activity need to change radically, or else it is destined for extinction.

Edited by oldschooldbc

Actually, at many shows, the Open Class Corps get paid nothing....Nothing! As the Judge in Caddyshack Likes to say - "You'll get nothing - And Like It!" The only money they make is off of souveneir sales. During last year's tour, one of the other OC parents admitted that their corps made less than $20 in souvie sales, at some shows. That won't pay for much diesel fuel, or food, or salaries, or uniforms, or instruments..... You get my point.

And as one WC director also admitted here last year, they can make more money off of parades, then doing some DCI shows.

The economics of these activity need to change radically, or else it is destined for extinction.

OC corps get paid for the shows that are WC shows, meaning there are both WC and OC corps participating in the show. Shows that are OC corps only do not pay, which was a decision made by the OC corps directors themselves.

It is true that many parades do pay a lot of money for corps and bands to participate. I'm not sure that the economics of the activity needs to change, but individual corps (especially OC) need to be creative in their own ways to meet budget.

OC corps get paid for the shows that are WC shows, meaning there are both WC and OC corps participating in the show. Shows that are OC corps only do not pay, which was a decision made by the OC corps directors themselves.

It is true that many parades do pay a lot of money for corps and bands to participate. I'm not sure that the economics of the activity needs to change, but individual corps (especially OC) need to be creative in their own ways to meet budget.

Maybe an OC Corps Dir. Could commit on this. I thought I read on a thread somewhere that OC Corps have limited access to WC Shows. Is this true?

Dean

Maybe an OC Corps Dir. Could commit on this. I thought I read on a thread somewhere that OC Corps have limited access to WC Shows. Is this true?

Dean

My understanding that there is no formal restriction. But many show organizers/promoters simply do no want OC corps. The OC corps do not fill the seats; hence, there is no incentive for show organizers to put them on the schedule.

• 2 weeks later...

Much love to Dutch Boy. All the best on getting back to the field as soon as possible. There is a large void in DCI without you this year.

Wow, Canadian competitive corps are all but gone. Truly sad

My understanding that there is no formal restriction. But many show organizers/promoters simply do no want OC corps. The OC corps do not fill the seats; hence, there is no incentive for show organizers to put them on the schedule.

Yep. If fans would support OC, then we really wouldn't have an issue here.

DCI cannot afford to subsidize corps when the paying customers won't shell out the bucks to go see them, buy their recordings, etc.

The audience has spoken on this topic long ago. The audience figures are ASTOUNDING. Michigan City seems to be the anomaly, although last season's attendance was well off the previous year. Otherwise, the OC focus shows draw very small numbers and Finals week attendance is dismal as well.

It comes down to the fans. If the fans would support OC, then the corps would get paid. Fans aren't supporting the corps in large enough numbers...not by a long shot. So, no money...no drum corps.

• 2 months later...