What and Why, 27th Lancers?

I'll stand by my thoughts that the ending to 20th c. wasn't a really good "put a cherry on the sundae" ending. "Dah-dah-dah-dah-dah! *Tsssshhhh*" has left a huge question mark floating over my head and a raised eyebrow every time I hear it for the last 30 years.

I love it, especially the discord right before. (Plus, the contras are literally running at the end.) They played that same ending in 79. I think they may have played it at the end of "Gaite Parisienne" in 78 and carried it over, since they tagged "Gaite" the same way in 82. It has that French genre primitif et gai feel to it. Anybody know if they tagged it that way in 78?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hes an Icon in my book. Great posts my man, keep it coming. I partied with him once. After a show in 85, Him and Mark S. I believe. Classic 2 hours of my life. He sure was a diffrent fellow. I knew there was something special about this cat I just met in Allentown, Down on that road, down the hill. Lets just say he cracked me up. Funny dude. You know, Sal Salas reminds me of him. Ill bet he has some good stories to tell about him.

There were a lot of great corps that season and great shows- if it was that strong horn-wise-- it would have made a difference. They'd have knocked out BD and horsewhipped everyone else. Really- the top 4 that year were all within spitting distance of one another, each with distinct strengths and weaknesses. Before penalties were assessed, the top 4 were within .5 of each other. Losing GE Brass to BD by .5, and MA by .8 in a 10 point caption (that's a serious gap) and horn execution by 1.25 really hurt them. Their percussion beat the tar out of them- (BD got pounded by a few folks that year in drums)- but it didn't quite make up the diff in horns.

That's it right there in bold. To this day, I can remember hearing sloppy attacks and releases all throughout the show and knowing they were doomed because of it. There were more in Birmingham than there were in Allentown.

27 was Magical in Allentown...

The British motif was very much theirs and very crowd-friendly. They had a well-loved signature piece and great, fresh, innovative drill for the era to go with it. They played very well, and as was mentioned before, they weren't afraid to turn up the wick and play hard.

You could say the same thing about the Guardsmen, and yet I don't see a lot of threads here on how many people miss the Guardsmen and wish they'd re-form.

Seems to me what was iconic about 27th Lancers was that in the mid- to late-70s, with the emphasis on execution, the Lancers would ALWAYS come out first tour and be dirty, and would be middle of the pack. And just like watching a Rocky movie at the time, you knew each time he was knocked down--he was gonna get up stronger, the Lancers would show up at Nationals and would have out-worked every one else and their show was gonna be bomb. And you respected that and got in the corner of the underdog.

Now that you mention the Guardsmen, I was always a fan of theirs, too. Loved "Tiger of San Pedro" and "Greensleves", and those crazy shakos.

I know I specifically mentioned their DM in an earlier response to a few things about DCI (Someone made a claim that pretty much all DCI Field conductors were boring- the Guardsmen's Kevin Hagopian certainly was NOT--) so, I don't think they've been forgotten by those who saw them.

Problem was that they only made finals twice, I think, which means there'd be a narrower bunch of people who would remember them. :blink:

All I can say is I miss them dearly. :blink:

They were and are very special, not only on the field but off of it as well. They are good family.

Now, with that being said, 1980. Yes, 1980 was incredible! My favorite timp line of all time (2nd to SCV 71), clearly the best color guard on the field, and when they swung around for the final push of Danny Boy, oh my-lanta! (and you do not have "dust in your eyes", Really? Reallllyyyy????)

Like I said I miss them every day.

Close your eyes and imagine them doing Ruben Blades rendition of Danny Boy in the lot. I know, huh. :blink:

Hes an Icon in my book. Great posts my man, keep it coming. I partied with him once. After a show in 85, Him and Mark S. I believe. Classic 2 hours of my life. He sure was a diffrent fellow. I knew there was something special about this cat I just met in Allentown, Down on that road, down the hill. Lets just say he cracked me up. Funny dude. You know, Sal Salas reminds me of him. Ill bet he has some good stories to tell about him.

Sal Reminds you of George Z? WOW...hehehehe..I think they are sooooooooooo different...lol..ooo well...Agree though an Icon ...a legend George was

Now that you mention the Guardsmen, I was always a fan of theirs, too. Loved "Tiger of San Pedro" and "Greensleves", and those crazy shakos.

I know I specifically mentioned their DM in an earlier response to a few things about DCI (Someone made a claim that pretty much all DCI Field conductors were boring- the Guardsmen's Kevin Hagopian certainly was NOT--) so, I don't think they've been forgotten by those who saw them.

Problem was that they only made finals twice, I think, which means there'd be a narrower bunch of people who would remember them. :blink:

4 times. 76, 78, 79, 80.

mini1979kevinh.jpg