Gary, what did your brother Tom play? In theory, I should possibly know him, and I'm drawing a blank.

He played bass 3, right behind me.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK Fran, That's your cue... LOL

Fran is the one who did most of the talking. Since he has not been there, we don't do quite as much talking, but we still do some.

Fran is the one who did most of the talking. Since he has not been there, we don't do quite as much talking, but we still do some.

Gut's in charge. I'm not sure I ever saw you play outside of ensemble rehearsal :tongue:

Scott, (if I may be serious of a minute) Donna and I are hoping Fran and Barbara will be able to share in what will be a great (and sad) performance at next year's SIB. Great seeing all the stops pulled for what I'm sure will be "the" Westshoremen Alumni's record breaking performance and sad because it might never happen again in my lifetime...

OK, now on to your signature tag line....

"Graduate of the prestigeous Fran Haring School of Breakage" :tongue::tongue::blink:

Edited by TennTux

It's always a pleasure to see Fran and Barb. Scott and I performed with Barb and against Fran. 'Against' sounds harsh-harsh is not my intent when using that word. We were working hard to beat one another for a few seasons in every good way that's implied. How's that!? :tongue:

I think of Barb's Mom and Dad often. I know some of us would look them up at a contest after we went on to see if he liked our performance that night. He was always really encouraging and had a ready smile for us. Important for a 16-17 year old kid. I'm certain he was with the Westshoremen-Bonnie Scots for at least a year. I know I saw him in one of the photos of that corps and asked many years ago about it, and was told he'd been involved.

Barring some kind of personal disaster here, I'll be there playing my best for the crowd in 2011. It'd take a major thing to happen to me to change that plan. If my lips fell off, I'd stand besides Scott banging on a tin cup with a spoon like Steve Martin did in "The Jerk" (and just as badly) if they'd let me. :blink:

Gary, I have a feeling your brother Tom was one of those "polite and quiet" guys. I'll have to grab a pic of the 83 corps sometime and look. When you're marching around guys named Apache, Boozer, Boltzie, Weasel, Chomodley, Buckwheat, Plant, Manson, Woodstock, and Hoover, you quite easily blend into the background real well just by being even somewhat normal. :tongue:

I miss Ma and Pa Mowbray. They still loved me despite watching me while Dad rehearsed with the Rebels

It's always a pleasure to see Fran and Barb. Scott and I performed with Barb and against Fran. 'Against' sounds harsh-harsh is not my intent when using that word. We were working hard to beat one another for a few seasons in every good way that's implied. How's that!? :tongue:

I can relate, (check my sig) Donna (my wife) and I marched with Fran and "against" Barb and Scott (along with you I'll guess) BITD. It sounds OK with me... :tongue:

I think of Barb's Mom and Dad often. I know some of us would look them up at a contest after we went on to see if he liked our performance that night. He was always really encouraging and had a ready smile for us. Important for a 16-17 year old kid.

We also looked for Barb's mom and dad. (though most of the time we only got to read his articles in DCN/DCW.

Barring some kind of personal disaster here, I'll be there playing my best for the crowd in 2011. It'd take a major thing to happen to me to change that plan. If my lips fell off, I'd stand besides Scott banging on a tin cup with a spoon like Steve Martin did in "The Jerk" (and just as badly) if they'd let me. :blink:

As will Donna and I, I mean being there for the 2011 SIB, not the performing part...LOL (as a retired Baritone player and DM I doubt I'd be allowed to have even that spoon and cup. hehe)

Tony, if you want to play, come play in the hornline. Look us up. Always looking for baris, esp. the 2 and 3 parts. We have great people there, but could use more. Seriously.

We have guys that have been around longer than you or me playing some good stuff and having fun. Don't think for even a tenth of a second you couldn't do it or that you wouldn't be welcome.

Nothing better than being up there with everyone just wanting to play hard for each other and for our loved ones and fans in the Forum and then seeing they really DUG it when we're done.

Scott, (if I may be serious of a minute) Donna and I are hoping Fran and Barbara will be able to share in what will be a great (and sad) performance at next year's SIB. Great seeing all the stops pulled for what I'm sure will be "the" Westshoremen Alumni's record breaking performance and sad because it might never happen again in my lifetime...

OK, now on to your signature tag line....

"Graduate of the prestigeous Fran Haring School of Breakage" :tongue::worthy::blink:

Tony, that would be great for Fran and Barb to be up there on stage with us next year. I have started checking into heavy duty bass beaters for the concert bass for Fran to use. :tongue:

Trust me when I say, Fran did not do all of the talking at rehearsal. We would sit in the back of the bandroom while the keyboards worked their parts and exchange corps stories. I just need to know what shirt he is going to wear so I can get something that will clash with it!!

I think of Barb's Mom and Dad often. I know some of us would look them up at a contest after we went on to see if he liked our performance that night. He was always really encouraging and had a ready smile for us. Important for a 16-17 year old kid. I'm certain he was with the Westshoremen-Bonnie Scots for at least a year. I know I saw him in one of the photos of that corps and asked many years ago about it, and was told he'd been involved.

Gary, I have a feeling your brother Tom was one of those "polite and quiet" guys. I'll have to grab a pic of the 83 corps sometime and look. When you're marching around guys named Apache, Boozer, Boltzie, Weasel, Chomodley, Buckwheat, Plant, Manson, Woodstock, and Hoover, you quite easily blend into the background real well just by being even somewhat normal. :tongue:

Tom as I recall, always came to rehearsal with a black briefcase in which he kept his beaters and music. I was always waiting for him to pull a bottle of liquid refreshment out of that thing. Since he rode on bus 2 and I was on bus 3, I have no clue what happened on the bus. What happened on bus 2, stayed on bus 2. (Almost) I think Vegas owes us since we had that going long before they did.