Corps Status Checks

Last year I attended what had always been a major contest in the past - there were five corps scheduled to compete - one performed a show ( about 6 min worth anyhow ) with less than 10 brass players.

This year I plan to attend either Kingston or Scranton ( maybe both ) - I am taking no chances.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Austin Stars Performing Arts Association was NEVER the drum corps. Two separate entities. From the beginning, the first competitive unit that was a part of the Austin Stars Performing Arts Association was ATX Winterguard. Espada joined us last year and also emerged as a competitive unit.

We tried to help bring the Austin Stars drum corps out as a competitive unit last year, but it didn't happen. ASPAA owned all their equipment in the first place. When the drum corps folded, the equipment was returned to ASPAA (as per bylaws). ASPAA then allowed ATX and Espada to use this equipment to continue their competitive groups.

Sixth Street Regiment is a new entity sponsored by the Austin Stars Performing Arts Association.

WE also sponsor (and are willing to sponsor) other music-based entities. We had a choir perform the national anthem at the Texas Drum Corps Preview. We never were a drum corps. We sponsored one. We will sponsor another one.

Does that help?

PS-- I picked the name a while ago. I'd like to change it, but do not see an option to do so.

So then I guess I'm a little confused... is the proposed new corps to be a part of ASPAA? Or is it a new separate venture as well? I think I'm mostly confused as your screen name is Stars Recruiter, and you say the Austin Stars equipment is sponsoring other performing groups, but are starting another drum corps. Please kindly clarify so that this doesn't turn into another Frontier/Vigilantes situation. (which has been resolved, no need to bring it up again, lol)
Edited by StarsRecruiter

I apparently missed whatever discussion got cleaned up.

Here's my take. DCA instituted a 35 minimum to supposedly prevent small corps from operating outside of their means. And to appease a few show sponsors. BUT, they then FORCED their will on ALL shows in ALL regions. That IS entirely DCAs fault.

We now have a system where 10 to 20 percent of all age corps that announce at Open House, we are competitive, we are going to DCA, end up not accomplishing at least one of those goals. Which never bodes well for recruitment. A system where everyone will eventually fall victim. And possibly never recover from it. To say that that's not DCAs fault and is therefor the CORPS or the MEMBERS fault, is about as deconstructive as one can get. The corps and members have goals, they are heavily invested in accomplishing those goals. While the Corps are saying yes we will, DCA is up there saying NO YOU WONT.

As far as the numbers for this year. It looks like a potential of 23, and one of those is out of country and not likely to come year after year.. Weren't we looking at a potential of 30 last year? With 24 actually making it. Current economy not withstanding. But no matter how you look at it, that's NOT growth. Hopefully that's not deemed deconstructive. As it's merely a statement of fact.

One Note Samba

The Austin Stars Performing Arts Association was NEVER the drum corps. Two separate entities. From the beginning, the first competitive unit that was a part of the Austin Stars Performing Arts Association was ATX Winterguard. Espada joined us last year and also emerged as a competitive unit.

We tried to help bring the Austin Stars drum corps out as a competitive unit last year, but it didn't happen. ASPAA owned all their equipment in the first place. When the drum corps folded, the equipment was returned to ASPAA (as per bylaws). ASPAA then allowed ATX and Espada to use this equipment to continue their competitive groups.

Sixth Street Regiment is a new entity sponsored by the Austin Stars Performing Arts Association.

WE also sponsor (and are willing to sponsor) other music-based entities. We had a choir perform the national anthem at the Texas Drum Corps Preview. We never were a drum corps. We sponsored one. We will sponsor another one.

Does that help?

PS-- I picked the name a while ago. I'd like to change it, but do not see an option to do so.

Yes, that actually does make a little more sense now. Thank you! :laughing:

I morn your loss then.

Because that one rule exists. Only 1 of 3 or more all age corps gets to compete from my state. And has to leave the state to do so. Because of that one rule I haven't been to a championships since 2006. There hasn't been a DCA competition (with scores) in state since 2008. Because of that one rule, The Texas Drumcorps PREVIEW will likely be the ONLY show all year where two or more All-Age corps appear at the same venue on the same day in the state of Texas. Congrats, it worked.

I count 2 active DCA corps from Texas: Gulf Coast Sound and Vigilantes. The latter will be at DCA championships this year and the former was going to, and then pulled out. Once again, I fail to see how any of this is DCA's fault. If you want a show in Texas, sponsor one. Get a committee together and put on a show. As long as you're willing to do all the leg work, pay the judges to come in, and get corps to show up, you can get a show in Texas. If all you care about it going to championships, buy a plane ticket. Tickets for the show are on sale via the DCA website.

I morn your loss then.

Because that one rule exists.

Absolutely. The rule has been such a failure that 12 corps are signed up to compete in Class A Prelims this year in Rochester.

As recently as 2003... when the rule did not exist.... there was a grand total of three Class A corps at championships.

:blink::blink::blink:

And from 16 open class corps (2005/2006) to 11, your point would be? You're bigger than you were in 1912, but not bigger than 5 years ago? As far as prelims and the corps who MEET the 35 minimum.

If there's no performance opportunity, why waste the money going to Rochester? Going there knowing you left 60 or more of your friends behind isn't much fun. Planning to go there and getting the rug yanked out from under you because one member quit, got sick, lost their job, had family issues, or whatever is even less fun. That one rule creates a condition of not knowing. If you have less than 50 even, you don't know. Not you, the other members, the corps, or even DCA. Less than 90 days out and do we really "KNOW" who's going this year? Not who's planning on it, MAYBE, MIGHT, POSSIBLY, HOPEFULLY, but who IS? How does anyone recruit for, much less maintain a membership if less than 90 days out you DON'T KNOW. That 12 could very well be 3 by labor day, it's already 11 since one is confirmed to NOT be heading to the big show. Would this thread even exist via the OP, if that one rule didn't exist?

Not that I should care anymore. The nearest DCA competition to me looks to be 1,000 miles-ish away. Literally. Used to be 2 of them less than 200 miles away just two years ago. And at last check I didn't relocate and the two corps that hosted and got scores at them still exist in one form or another.

I morn your loss then.

Because that one rule exists. Only 1 of 3 or more all age corps gets to compete from my state. And has to leave the state to do so. Because of that one rule I haven't been to a championships since 2006. There hasn't been a DCA competition (with scores) in state since 2008. Because of that one rule, The Texas Drumcorps PREVIEW will likely be the ONLY show all year where two or more All-Age corps appear at the same venue on the same day in the state of Texas. Congrats, it worked.

hey Shadow.......go get corps 35 members each, then host a show.

your problem is solved, granted you do something to make it better other than whining on here and on RAMD.

oh and it isn't DCA's fault. it's the fault of the corps that can't get enough bodies

here's a suggestiopn, tho one you'll ignore, dodge, duck, and deflect:

quit being so gung ho on finals. stay at home and build your organization so it can have more than 35 members that return every week.

here's what you fail to realize...there is so much more about drum corps than getting a score or going to finals.

yeah we're a few corps shy this year of the record...however given the recession, that we have 23 is awesome! we didn't have more than 20, minus 1987, at anytime in the great 80's economic boom.

Chops arent coming in, but they're still keeping the corps alive, getting bodies involved and making money. maybe you should talk to them about what to do to build your corps without being so gung ho on a score.

but you won't.

you're all talk Shadow. You've been told a zillion things to make it better from many people, and you won't learn, or listen. Kinda like the management of my old corps at the end.

so really, cry all you want, but until you accept some responsibility and actually do something to makeit better, your cries mean nothing.

And from 16 open class corps (2005/2006) to 11, your point would be? You're bigger than you were in 1912, but not bigger than 5 years ago? As far as prelims and the corps who MEET the 35 minimum.

If there's no performance opportunity, why waste the money going to Rochester? Going there knowing you left 60 or more of your friends behind isn't much fun. Planning to go there and getting the rug yanked out from under you because one member quit, got sick, lost their job, had family issues, or whatever is even less fun. That one rule creates a condition of not knowing. If you have less than 50 even, you don't know. Not you, the other members, the corps, or even DCA. Less than 90 days out and do we really "KNOW" who's going this year? Not who's planning on it, MAYBE, MIGHT, POSSIBLY, HOPEFULLY, but who IS? How does anyone recruit for, much less maintain a membership if less than 90 days out you DON'T KNOW. That 12 could very well be 3 by labor day, it's already 11 since one is confirmed to NOT be heading to the big show. Would this thread even exist via the OP, if that one rule didn't exist?

Not that I should care anymore. The nearest DCA competition to me looks to be 1,000 miles-ish away. Literally. Used to be 2 of them less than 200 miles away just two years ago. And at last check I didn't relocate and the two corps that hosted and got scores at them still exist in one form or another.