Corps Status Checks

That's where I disagree with Shadow. It's not DCA's fault at all that Texas (or any other state) has difficulty getting a DCA corps together. There are just as many states that don't have a DCI or competitive Jr. Corps. that's not DCI's fault either!

We all know that DCA has these rules established and that we need to abide by them. There are options for groups who choose not to (ex: World Gone Mad, any SDCA corps, Kiwanis, Shriners, etc).

Yes, I know other groups have made it work. I've had long conversations with Vic about how he made it work in Florida. Heck, we almost marched there one year when Judy and I lived in Miami (3 hours plus $40 in tolls one-way put a quick stop to that, unfortunately).

I think the main issue is time. It takes time to build a program. When you have 7 one year, 16 the next and 40 the next, then all but 15 of those 40 leave, there's an issue (or several issues) to resolve. I think people need to realize that it's not just about building a program, it's about maintaining and growing the program. That takes time. A lot of time, and a lot of planning.

Some people may just be impatient to see it happen?

Or you find people from all the major TX cities to start a corps and then you have a Texas circuit... and then you can get the shows televised on the new UT tv station. JK on that part... kind of. Your option might be to get a few corps started in the area and then you have competition of your peers and not have to worry about DCI shows.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

before I start writing - I need to preface this as this is my personal feelings - not an official line from my corps.

What has been difficult in Texas that DCA COULD help with is some flexibility in allowing real scores and real shows. Because an official show must include three corps, We've not been allowed to host an official show. Sure Gulf Coast would come to compete - but without an Austin corps competing who is going to drive all the way to Texas to make us official? Yes - High Country Brass came to a Frontier show two years ago (and I feel for those guys as they too are in a world of hurt as far as getting to official shows), but in putting together a travel budget, it makes more sense for them to go to DCA-Midwest to get a better barometer of their standing prior to Nationals. I would not expect them to take 3 large out of town trips and remain a viable corps for very long. Music City Legend was committed to a Houston show this year, but that has fallen through as well.

I am not sure of the solution, but for the corps in the hinterlands, the cost of competing legally adds to higher travel costs, which leads to higher dues, and then less interest to participate. When you get fewer members, then we get to the 35 member rule. Mike is right, heat is a nasty deterrent, but the cost of doing drum corps (admittedly high no matter where you compete) really does make things more challenging. The lack of staying power with Texas corps I believe is directly related to the travel and cost challenges.

How to resolve that? I am not sure the 35 member rule is the culprit (although I suspect some of the Texas groups might have stuck it out longer with the ability to compete at lower numbers), however, the extreme travel necessary to be a competitive unit I believe is certainly a deterrent.

That's why I think a lot of people used to like the Class A 35 that we had in DCA South. It kept the tiny corps from over-extending themselves to get to Championships, but allowed them to participate in local shows at the sponsor's discretion.

I urge the DCA think tank to reconsider putting this rule amendment back into effect. Keep the 35 minimum for say Championships, but allow local shows to fill the field with corps under 35, if the sponsor requests it and give them scores and tapes.

When I saw the Austin Stars a few years ago, there was little doubt in my mind that they could be the next Alliance or Corpvets. It's really a shame that they subsequently fell on hard times membership-wise.

Texas needs a small drum corps circuit with its own rules. This would give small start up groups a place to perform. I'm sure if asked DCA would give advice. Peashey, Pronti and Glenn always watch these threads and always seem willing to hlep. If the circuit could come up with 3 to 5 shows during the spring and summer this could help these start groups grow.

If the shows attracted and the Corps suceeded, this circuit and corps could easily be DCA affilliated.

The DCA championship is not for every Corps. I could very easily see a Corps compete one year at Championships and stay in their own circuit the next year. There is nothing wrong with this. The biggies do what is necessary for their success.

exactly. Do what is best for your now, to build it and grow, then worry about taking the big steps.

again, just look at the Renegades.....5 years of life before they ever came East.

An interesting concept, to say the least. DCA Southwest? DCA Texas? Something like the Garden State circuit from years ago?

It would be great to get all corps involved, but then there are those pesky rules about not being affiliated with another circuit... Does that mean membership only, or could a corps appear in another circuit's contest without being penalized, as long as they are not members of that circuit? I'm not up-to-date on all the rules.

Texas needs a small drum corps circuit with its own rules. This would give small start up groups a place to perform. I'm sure if asked DCA would give advice. Peashey, Pronti and Glenn always watch these threads and always seem willing to hlep. If the circuit could come up with 3 to 5 shows during the spring and summer this could help these start groups grow.

If the shows attracted and the Corps suceeded, this circuit and corps could easily be DCA affilliated.

The DCA championship is not for every Corps. I could very easily see a Corps compete one year at Championships and stay in their own circuit the next year. There is nothing wrong with this. The biggies do what is necessary for their success.

That was the plan within Texas to get enough corps up and running so we could have a circuit here and only need to travel to Nationals. But again - when you can't have a legal show (with scores counting towards going up north and east) due to emerging (or for that matter struggling) corps, then the shows fall apart.

I understand the concept of starting small and building. But you cannot sell that to kids down here. With huge marching band programs (and with high quality all over) selling to kids a small group that is perceived less of an experience to their marching band is tough. So then you are selling to ageouts, older musicians, or those that missed DCI -the 105 degree rehearsal concept becomes a huge hurdle. Like it or not - we have to have high quality and have it quickly to appeal to a population that does not understand or have a history with All Age drum corps.

I like the DCA South allowance for smaller units giving them something to build with. Would that solve all our issues? I doubt it - but it would remove some hurdles that we experience here differently than in other parts of the established DCA country.

Would the ability to have two shows in the state and two official scores have saved Gulf Coast Sound the last two years? I don't know - I am not privvy to their situation and what truly prevented them from coming out. But when only two corps within 2000 miles or so was all that existed - the budget ballooned exorbitantly in order to get to shows with real scores. For two corps that did meet the 35 minimum, just hanging out and not coming to nationals was not really an appealing option - again - Texas has no history with all aged corps so staying home and doing parades (we PAY to get into parades down here!) and community events does not grow us like it does in other parts of the country. Those that did sign up to do drum corps wanted to do drum corps!!

It's not a simple fix and I expect lots of discussions similar to this will be going on in this a rules congress year. DCA is not broken, but the reality of our economy and nation is changing. For the circuit to survive and grow, it will need to flex as it has in the past.

An interesting concept, to say the least. DCA Southwest? DCA Texas? Something like the Garden State circuit from years ago?

It would be great to get all corps involved, but then there are those pesky rules about not being affiliated with another circuit... Does that mean membership only, or could a corps appear in another circuit's contest without being penalized, as long as they are not members of that circuit? I'm not up-to-date on all the rules.

You have corps in many regions of DCA that are also listed as members of the DCI all age division, and I don't see any of them penalized.

Getting back to the question of corps status checks........

SoCal Dream has been working real hard and cleaning our show. Unfortunately, we have come up a little short of our goal to have the entire show on the field for our first weekend of competition. We decided that our closer is just not up to par enough to put it in front of the fans this weekend. We worked real hard to have the complete show on the field, but we would rather do 4/5 of the show outstanding, and leave it at that, rather than do the last 5th half-arsed.

Next weekend will be a different story! SoCal Dream is hungry and the animals are restless. Don't poke at our cage or your hand might come back missing a finger or two.

That was the plan within Texas to get enough corps up and running so we could have a circuit here and only need to travel to Nationals. But again - when you can't have a legal show (with scores counting towards going up north and east) due to emerging (or for that matter struggling) corps, then the shows fall apart.

I understand the concept of starting small and building. But you cannot sell that to kids down here. With huge marching band programs (and with high quality all over) selling to kids a small group that is perceived less of an experience to their marching band is tough. So then you are selling to ageouts, older musicians, or those that missed DCI -the 105 degree rehearsal concept becomes a huge hurdle. Like it or not - we have to have high quality and have it quickly to appeal to a population that does not understand or have a history with All Age drum corps.

I like the DCA South allowance for smaller units giving them something to build with. Would that solve all our issues? I doubt it - but it would remove some hurdles that we experience here differently than in other parts of the established DCA country.

Would the ability to have two shows in the state and two official scores have saved Gulf Coast Sound the last two years? I don't know - I am not privvy to their situation and what truly prevented them from coming out. But when only two corps within 2000 miles or so was all that existed - the budget ballooned exorbitantly in order to get to shows with real scores. For two corps that did meet the 35 minimum, just hanging out and not coming to nationals was not really an appealing option - again - Texas has no history with all aged corps so staying home and doing parades (we PAY to get into parades down here!) and community events does not grow us like it does in other parts of the country. Those that did sign up to do drum corps wanted to do drum corps!!

It's not a simple fix and I expect lots of discussions similar to this will be going on in this a rules congress year. DCA is not broken, but the reality of our economy and nation is changing. For the circuit to survive and grow, it will need to flex as it has in the past.

so, let me ask an obvious question:

has anyone actually ASKED DCA to work with them on this?