The Scores Are Coming!

Thanks Glen, took a quick scan of 74-77 and Westshore was competing in a lot less DCA shows than I remember. Let me rephrase that, less DCA competitions that I realized. 1975 we did a bunch of DCA exhibitions. Had a show about every weekend but LOT more must had been RCA shows especially 76-77. I can see a lot of half remembered thigs from my past being cleared up better. :blink:

Very interesting read for the historical minded and the "more mature" folks. :blink:

going over the scores i see that either my memory is shot..........or there are are shows missing..............which wouldn't surprise me........or some shows were not DCA shows. if my memoriy is right from 1970 on we did all DCA shows except for legion shows so that means there are shows missing. but it's great history and a great job of compiling all these scores. :blink:

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about us guys who scored in the 30s. Kidding.... well not about scoring in the 30s bit

Seriously thanks Glen.

s/ Smart-###ed who asked the question.....

Ouch ...

"Mature!?" If you mean getting older and chubbier, Jim, yeah. But growing up "Mature"!?!?!? Naaaaahhh!!!! :blink:

Yeah- as you said on the Westshore thread, Jim, I think you were heavily involved with RCA at the time. I guess that involvement shrank heavily, I don't think we did an RCA show at all by '79 when I came on board.

Can't wait to see 98 :blink:

Edited by HighBrass09

Can't wait to see 98 :blink:

I am very much enjoying 1977 and 1978 myself. :blink:

Fran

its amazing to see how some corps scores would go backwards for months after hitting their high score in late June or early July...also amazing to see how some scores dropped over 10 points from prelims to finals.

again, thanks Glen!!

its amazing to see how some corps scores would go backwards for months after hitting their high score in late June or early July...also amazing to see how some scores dropped over 10 points from prelims to finals.

again, thanks Glen!!

Yes, Jeff. A case of what I think is different tick system tolerances, wildly different panels, and from reading between the lines of some of the historical stuff, some corps weren't very consistent- sometimes throw out an incredible performance one day, then lose it big time the next.

I'm coming to think that the tick system had more and more to do with those fluctuations then I'd ever thought or realized before.

oh i figured a lot went into it Dubya. But still, just wow

There was another thing, Jeff. Something Jim or people around longer than even myself might be able to explain this because I'm not even fully comprehending the whole tactic. A lot of corps for prelims would axe their concert number to somehow save points if they were on the bubble as a desperate effort to get into finals. I'm not sure of the whys and wheres of doing this, but I do know it was done- '79 Westshore did it, but it was the last time it was done at Westshore while I was there.

I wish someone would explain this one to me- Nowadays you'd get beat on for the program making less sense, less material for analysis, less everything--- or...

Was the guess/estimation that you'd lose less in analysis and effect than you'd save in horn and drum ticks from playing the concert number!?

Hopefully some of the "older timers" can explain that whole thing better to me.