A Drum Corps Blind Spot

I was writing this post related to the thread on corps posters and how some use an argument of "Who cares, it's just a poster." But I thought this topic might be better as a separate thread.

One thing that perplexes me is when someone posts a criticism of "non-field" elements of drum corps, others combat them with an argument of "Who cares. It's just a __________. As long as the show is good, who cares?"

Isn't a major part of drum corps about teaching young people excellence in every area of life? Paying attention to details in life is what sets one apart from the mediocrity that surrounds us. I'm sometimes bewildered at how a corps will pound these principles into the heads of young people when it comes to on-the-field performance, but when it comes to other aspects of the corps we see a tolerance of shoddiness.

I think we've all seen it. Big things like running finances poorly or small things like having the staff walk into a stadium looking like they rolled out of bed after shopping all night at the Good Will clearance rack.

I think it's a mistake to compartmentalize excellence and have a laissez faire attitude. I am arguing that each corps should strive for excellence in every aspect of their organization. A fundamental principle of drum corps is: "if you're going to do it, do it RIGHT!"

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been a long time but yet again I profess my undying love for Grany Smith and her Infinite Wisdom. :thumbup:

I was writing this post related to the thread on corps posters and how some use an argument of "Who cares, it's just a poster." But I thought this topic might be better as a separate thread.

One thing that perplexes me is when someone posts a criticism of "non-field" elements of drum corps, others combat them with an argument of "Who cares. It's just a __________. As long as the show is good, who cares?"

Isn't a major part of drum corps about teaching young people excellence in every area of life? Paying attention to details in life is what sets one apart from the mediocrity that surrounds us. I'm sometimes bewildered at how a corps will pound these principles into the heads of young people when it comes to on-the-field performance, but when it comes to other aspects of the corps we see a tolerance of shoddiness.

I think we've all seen it. Big things like running finances poorly or small things like having the staff walk into a stadium looking like they rolled out of bed after shopping all night at the Good Will clearance rack.

I think it's a mistake to compartmentalize excellence and have a laissez faire attitude. I am arguing that each corps should strive for excellence in every aspect of their organization. A fundamental principle of drum corps is: "if you're going to do it, do it RIGHT!"

The clothing isn't limited to off the field attire worn by staff that " look like it came from shopping all night at the Goodwill clearance rack ". I'm ok with staff wearing whatever the heck they want to wear. It's when the ON FIELD costumes in Guard look like " it came from shopping all night at the Goodwill post Halloween clearance rank " that has me puzzled...... and what's up with the Corps proper wearing ( say ) blue, and silver, and the costumes in guard are ( say ) dark orange and dark brown ? The color " coordination " between the colors in the Corps proper, and the Guard costumes colors can look positively ugly and garrish sometimes. They go together like a nice dark suit, tie.... but with brown loafers and white socks. Or blue khaki, or bermuda shorts, t or polo shirt...... but with brown shoes and white or green colored calf length socks or some such. Yikes!!

Edited by BRASSO

I have to say I got a real chuckle out of the thread a couple years ago entitled "who's the homeless guy on the track?" referring to the sound guys. I think that discussion actually got some of them shifted from grungy t-shirts to grungy polo shirts. :thumbup:

No one seems to care anymore (and this doesn't apply only to drum corps). The definition of having pride in one's self has been changed. It's all about flash, smoke, and mirrors...no heart.

Wait, this does sound more drum corps-ish...all visual, less musical.

I'm ok with staff wearing whatever the heck they want to wear.

Your response is precisely what I object to.

P.S. This is NOT a thread specifically about what the staff wears. That was merely an example. My point is MUCH broader than that.

Edited by Granny Smith

Your response is precisely what I object to.

P.S. This is NOT a thread specifically about what the staff wears. That was merely an example. My point is MUCH broader than that.

Yup, and my reply to your post was a broader point as well. ( but I won't " object ", Granny )

Edited by BRASSO

Looks like Granny has awoke from her long winters nap......

Granny's point is well taken :

ie..off the field, dress well.... and make sure you payed your bills this month. Be responsible and not sloppy... on and off the field.

Edited by BRASSO